PDA

View Full Version : Descend below MSA (NZ)

ZK-IWI
29th May 2013, 03:38
Hi, in preparation for the IR Air Law exam, can someone please briefly summarize the various scenarios when it is permissible to descend below Minimum Safe Altitude?
Having looked in the enroute section of the AIP NZ, most of the information is related to descent below MFA and MDA.

Emergency in-flight driftdown is one I can think of.

Cheers!

YoureAdverse
29th May 2013, 03:51
When under Radar vectors, on a visual approach, DME/GPS Arrival & Past the IAF on an approach. Prob some more but they come to mind. :8

triathlon
29th May 2013, 04:08
Spot on:ok:

mattyj
29th May 2013, 04:55
Disregard those two, those are Aussie rules, and while correct enough, you need the specific nzaip defs. If its not in ENR1.5 somewhere I'd be surprised and find the definition of MFA..I think it's MSA but with reception etc thrown in..note it doesn't comply with the icao definition!

ZK-IWI
29th May 2013, 05:15
Thanks for chipping in guys, the best reference I can find so far is AIPNZ GEN 3.3 para 5.1.8, though it doesn't cover any 'when visual' situations.

glideslope
29th May 2013, 05:17
Just watch out for Mt E when you do though...

Offcut
29th May 2013, 05:33
The only visual situations where you can be below msa are on a visual departure/approach. My understanding is that if you want to descend below msa enroute without radar terrain/sector safe etc, then you need to cancel IFR and continue VFR. Or request a visual approach, although you might battle to get a clearance from 100nm out.