PDA

View Full Version : Any low time FAA jobs in Caribbean, seaplane?

Ifryairprane
28th May 2013, 16:20
low time looking for something different. CFI,MEI,CFII, 115 multi, 230 total time.
Do single engine or single engine sea jobs exist in the Caribbean for someone like me?

flyingswiss
30th May 2013, 00:36
There is no market for low time expats in the Caribbean, even to fly a small single in most places you will need way more hours then that, just like in the USA where to fly commercially you need 500 hours to fly PIC VFR even if it`s a 172.

There are plenty of local pilots that came out of Florida flight schools that have your same hours and are sitting around.

Flying a seaplane? Do you hold a SES rating?

Ifryairprane
30th May 2013, 17:20
not yet I may be getting a job at a school that has a seaplane as an instructor. so after I build some time It's possible to get a job down there? Are there seaplane jobs down there and what kin of experience would be required?

Thank you!

sicamore
7th Jun 2013, 16:38
Try Seabourne Airlines - I know they were looking for US citizens to fly FO on the Saabs not too long ago. Low hours will always be a sticking point. I believe that you will not get on a seaplane unless you have sometime with the airline.

Seaplane flying is always a stickler more so than normal It takes a bit of skill and experience and companies are even more reluctant than usual to let inexperienced pilots fly even a single engine C206 on floats.

Just a couple months ago I saw the requirement for a C208 captain on floats be 5000 TT for a pretty measly salary. Probably catered to a retiring pilot who just wants to get back to fun flying.

That said, float planes are some of the funnest flying I have done to date. Well worth the experience if you can get in.

flyingswiss
8th Jun 2013, 01:41
@sicamore you can get a seaplane job with way less then that, I know companies that hire with as low as 600 hours (on C206), networking is key.

The jobs listed with those TT are due to the fact that it`s very hard to keep somebody employed on a seaplane, most pilots take jobs because they need hours to get other jobs. It`s hard to find pilots that will stick around so it`s easier to just cut most of them out and go for those who maybe just do it for the lifestyle.

sicamore
10th Jun 2013, 16:06
@flyingswiss Fully aware that you can get with less. I got my first flying job on a 206 with floats with something like 600 hours. Had to pay for the rating but otherwise one of the funnest flying jobs I have had. I was using the 5000 hour reference as a rather extreme example of what some operators are after.

Any which way, the requirements are somewhat tougher than a comparable single on wheels.