PDA

View Full Version : Wireless printer connection

BOAC
28th May 2013, 12:35
Time for help again (***** networks), I'm afraid. Mrs B's XP Home laptop seems to have 'lost' connectivity with a Canon wireless printer on the system. (Laptop connects to internet via the router)

Printer runs ok on the router, ip address 192.168.1.4. Desktop prints to it wirelessly via router. No matter which option I choose on the laptop it will not find the printer.

Ancient Observer
28th May 2013, 17:07
My older desktop - seldom used - runs XP, SP3, but does not like the daughter's Canon MG 5200 series.
It is much happier with our antique HP.

Assuming that you've done all the help-desk 101 stuff, like resets and turn offs, (espec of router), daughter's Canon comes with a driver uninstaller. Maybe try that, and download new drivers?
The Utilities also come with a Network tool and that goes around looking for printers.

BOAC
28th May 2013, 18:01
AO - once again (as with Mobile Phones) you have starred! Since it USED to work I had not thought of re-running the install, but as you say, off it went, found the printer ('already on the network') and set up the connection. Many thanks again. If ONLY I had thought of that....................

Ancient Observer
29th May 2013, 14:42
Glad to be able to help.

Canon software is a bloated thing, but it works, unlike Bl**dy Samsung's software, "Kies". If possible I avoid Kies and use Explorer now.

My "Apollo" is now in my elder brother's hands, ably taught by his daughter. I know he has advanced to on/off, and call, but I suspect the rest of it is beyond him.
I have inherited junior daughter's hand-me-down Galaxy S 1. Awaiting next hand-me -down in September of S 2. (Or, we'll upgrade, and I'll get the S 4. BUT the newer ones like S3 and S 4 do not fit easily in to a gentleman's pocket.)