PDA

View Full Version : Travelling to/in South Africa

UniFoxOs
27th May 2013, 11:30
I'm intending to buy SWMBO a holiday in SA as a birthday present. I will probably book a tour rather than try to travel independently. Middle/end January is the favourite time in our calendar.

Anybody got any suggestions as to what I should look for - what is a "must see" and what's not worth bothering with? I'd particularly like to know if gold/diamond mines are a) worth a visit and b) relatively easy access - we can't do climbs/steps/very rough ground.

Not too bothered about game parks/drives as we have done that in Tanzania where one of the other pax reckoned that the experience we had there was better than SA.

Thanks in advance
UFO

pzu
27th May 2013, 14:26
At some 14 ZAR to £1 it's certainly affordable

Only been once, back in 2007 and rate was about the same, did Tembe Safari Park on Mozambique border in KZN and then Margate(???) about 1ooK S of Durban - enjoyed it

PZU - Out of Africa (retired)

LondonPax
28th May 2013, 11:45
Don't bother with Jo'burg. Go to Cape Town and from there do a tour of the nearby wine regions.

Smeagol
28th May 2013, 12:24
Concur with London Pax.

Stick with Cape Town and environs, most beautiful place in the world (or it was in the 1970's when I lived there)!

Lance Murdoch
28th May 2013, 17:47
The Drakensberg Mountains are worth seeing as is the Wild Coast which is the area between Durban and East London.

PAXboy
28th May 2013, 21:46
Agreed that starting/returning to CPT is a VERY good idea. The Garden Route has a LOT to see and you can drive, take a coach and there are trains for part of it - if you wish.

CPT itself has tons and there are also things to see up the West coast. I cannot say just how much there is to see and a combination of city, desert, wine lands, coast and mountains will be the business.

If you have friends in Gauteng (used to be the cemtral Traansvaal) then perhaps see if they want to come down to meet you!

Use the SA tourist board - so much to see. I also agree that a tour, or several small tours, is better as they will keep you away from the tricky areas.

LondonPax
29th May 2013, 10:34
Also, whale watching. I haven't done that in SA, but I know you can. I have done whale watching in Sydney and it is well worth doing.

ExXB
29th May 2013, 11:21
... Surprised no one has mentioned the wine ...., that alone justifies the garden route. Lots of B&Bs cater to the vin-tourist, (hic):D

Metro man
4th Jun 2013, 13:45
Cape Town for sure, drive out to Cape Point where the Atlantic and Indian oceans meet. Table Mountain would be worth a look as well. Give JHB a miss, I used to live there and can think of no reason worth going back for.

JEM60
10th Jun 2013, 10:25
Cape Town and it's environs are delightful. Cape Point is great, but don't forget to go to Cape Agulhas, the southern most tip of the African continent. Not too far away, but 40 odd miles south of Cape Point, and THAT is where the two oceans meet. You could take in whale watching in Hermanus along the way. Have had two holidays in SA. Totally memorable, 'tho, like most countries in the world, there is still a lot that is not 'right'

fincastle84
30th Jun 2013, 16:35
We've been visiting SA annually for the past 15 years, it's our favourite winter holiday destination.

The main diamond centre is Kimberley which is on the high veldt, is in the middle of nowhere & in January will be hotter than hell. My advice is to forget it!

I agree that for a first visit Cape Town is your best destination. It's peak season so be prepared for high airfares. We booked our flights for next February in March this year! I would also recommend late January as the time to visit, once the SA school children are back at school!

I recommend a minimum of 5 days in Cape Town to allow visits up Table Mountain, to Robben island, Cape Point etc. Forget whale watching, you're out of season.

Aim to spend at least 3 days visiting the winelands, Stellenbosch is our favourite town. It's not just the wine which fascinates but the beautiful scenery, world class food & yes, superb wines.

From there it's an easy week driving the Garden Route. If you're short of time drop the car in either George or PE (Port Elizabeth) & start your return journey from there, either via CPT or JNB.

Finally, I strongly recommend that you stay in B&Bs rather than hotels. They are of an exceedingly high standard & excellent value for money.

If you require a more detailed itinerary or suggestions for B&Bs & restaurants then by all means PM me.

twinboom
30th Jun 2013, 21:35
Concur Fincastle - go to the Cape and stay in B&Bs / private hotels and for at least 2 (pref 3) nights in any one place - can give steers. Possibility of very hot in Jan but only inland. Top Tip §1: At the first opportunity - even if on first morning and feeling jaded - when Table Mountain is NOT cloud covered go straight to the Cable Car and Up. §2. Pre-book Robben Island, either thro' your tour operator or CPT hotel. §3 Not only Stellenbosch but also Franschhoek = shangri la. Independent travel is practicable, hire cars v. affordable - if need more info please do PM - I'm not a "swallow" but do spend 3/4 weeks/yr there, based in Stellenbosch with excursions far and wide.

Persia
3rd Jul 2013, 16:08
Try to fly to Durban and go to Umhlanga Rocks where you will not be disappointed if you are looking for time to relax in great hotels.

January in Durban is extremely humid though so you have been warned.:ok:

Persia
3rd Jul 2013, 16:10
If you find Durban too humid then you can head for the cool and scenic hills outside Durban called Valley of a 1000 Hills. Stay at the Rob Roy Hotel which has fantastic views, or the Chantecler.

Persia
3rd Jul 2013, 16:16
I recommend you may need to hire a car and go with Satnav. Following on from the Valley of a 1000 Hills, I also recommend an overnight stay in the wonderful Hilton Hotel outside Pietermaritzburg, and then a MUST! Head up to Rawdons Hotel, Balgowan ,for a couple of nights. You will not be disappointed whatsoever.

In between Hilton and Rawdons is Midmar Dam. A nice day out if you like walking.

Persia
3rd Jul 2013, 16:18
Once done there, head up to the Drakensberg. Anywhere there really i.e. Giant's Castle.

Persia
3rd Jul 2013, 16:19
My favourite place in the Drakensberg is Little Switzerland. It is stunning, but that might be a bit too far.

Persia
3rd Jul 2013, 16:23
However, on your flight down or up, I would also highly recommend you visit Victoria Falls on the Zambian side. It is a must and you will find the Zambian i.e. Bemba tribe very friendly and delightful compared to the Zulu who are arrogant and surly imho.:ok:

Persia
3rd Jul 2013, 16:32
Trust me, I think you would enjoy my recommendations 100%!:ok:

Persia
3rd Jul 2013, 16:37
I would leave the Wild Coast out completely.

I would also leave any visit to gold mines out. So boring and you want to enjoy yourselves. It might also mean a visit to Joburg which is a no no.:}

UniFoxOs
31st Dec 2013, 16:26
Hi again, guys,

Getting closer now so looking for any further thoughts. I eventually booked us to fly to CPT. Didn't want to go to LHR/LGA so we are going from BHX via MUC on LH. A few days in the Taj on arrival and the Holiday Inn just before departure with a 7 night Garden Route tour by a local company in between. Departing in about 10 days.

Just bought some ZAR, 16.6 to the GBP now so the beer's even cheaper.

There seem to be a lot of negative comments about the Robben Island tour floating around t'internet. Any comments about this anybody, also the Red/Blue bus services - in particular is the Blue route wine extension worth doing?

Thanks
UFO

UniFoxOs
23rd Jan 2014, 15:43
We're back now, a bit earlier than anticipated because SWMBO broke her wrist. Many thanks to all who provided info and ideas, especially Capetonian for the extra PM info.

We loved the place. So much so that we are now considering changing our usual winter Caribbean holiday to one in SA. We'll just have to grit our teeth and endure the journey to LHR for the BA direct flight - going via MUC from our local airfield was no real benefit.

The hotels were superb, every bit of food we had was great, the people were lovely, and the wine as good as anything I've ever had. And all this with great views, beaches and wildlife (and golfing if you like spoiling a nice walk). So, to anyone else thinking of going - book it. Where else can you get three cocktails, three high quality starters and mains, one pudding and a bottle of superb wine for 50 quid?

UFO

PS - just got my bank statement, cash withdrawal at service area was at 17.7 ZAR to the GBP, it gets cheaper by the day!

fincastle84
29th Jan 2014, 20:22
As predicted, you both had a ball. You are now both infected with "Mal d'Afrique" for which there is no known cure, other than to return annually for a top up of good food, wine & company. I'm too polite to ask how your good lady broke her wrist, was a chandelier involved??:*

I can highly recommend the BA option & once you've collected some Avios (BA miles) you'll be able to search for reward flights. We're leaving for CPT 4 weeks tomorrow, flying Club for not a lot.

Enjoy planning your next trip.

cavortingcheetah
30th Jan 2014, 04:26
If you ever find yourself in Pretoria/Johannesburg, the Voortrekker Monument is a great encapsulation of much of South African history. It is well worth the trouble to take a hire car and get there. You can also buy the proper South African flag lapel badges in the shop, there the wearing of which does upset the usual deluded London liberals who expostulate with drivelling expectoration at one in the streets. The pins are thus easily worth the effort of acquiring.
In terms of getting to the place, have you tried the possibility of KLM connections through EHAM? KLM have a flight each day to JNB @ 10.10 and sometimes direct to FACT. Transit in Schiphol is a easy from the UK, no Schengen passport control to SA, and an hour will suffice between flights if your incoming is on time.
Have fun next time down here.