PDA

View Full Version : Need help with my Instrument Written

piperboy84
27th May 2013, 04:25
I am taking my instrument written on Tuesday, I have been in a 3 day crash course over the weekend, during which I thought I had holding pattern entries nailed and answered all the questions correctly regarding the entry methods from different scenarios in the class. I am home running some dummy tests before i take the FAA exam and have got a pattern entry wrong and cant figure the b#$tard out.

The approach plate can be viewed at

http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_questions/media/FAA-CT-8080-3E.pdf

Its Figure 129 on page 145 of the document (page 188 of the adobe reader)

The questions is as follows:

(Refer to Figure 129.) What type of entry is recommended to the missed approach holding pattern if the inbound heading is 050°?

No matter which way i pencil it out I come up with a parallel entry however the exam software says its a teardrop.

Thanks in advance is some can point out where i,m going wrong

sapperkenno
27th May 2013, 05:59
Have you had a brain fart and used LABER (which would be direct join coming from 050° anyway) instead?

For BENDY, it's an inbound course of 222°, non-standard (ie, left turns). So any heading of less than 042° when flying towards it could require a parallel entry, but not 050°. So you'd overfly it, then turn right onto 072° for a minute, then a left turn onto the inbound leg.

If you draw it out, you'll see you're approaching from the northern side of the inbound track, and the only one that makes any real sense is a teardrop.

I'm sure you're doing something silly and have already figured it out!

Chilli Monster
27th May 2013, 07:58
As Sapperkenno says - BENDY and Teardrop for exactly the reasons he states.

piperboy84
29th May 2013, 19:48
Thanks, for the help , it is a teardrop, i was having a "craft" moment. All ended up well, passed with 85%

thanks for the help