PDA

View Full Version : I Explorer 10

AtomKraft
26th May 2013, 14:43
I've got it. I didn't want it. And it's ****.

Is this what progress looks like?

Slow- pause- slow-wait!:rolleyes:

BOAC
26th May 2013, 14:44
If you really need IE, regress?

Old Version of Internet Explorer Download - OldApps.com (http://www.oldapps.com/internet_explorer.php?ModPagespeed=noscript)
or
Internet Explorer - Previous Browser Versions | TechNet (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/hh696548.aspx)

RedBullGaveMeWings
27th May 2013, 02:35
Windows 7 or Windows 8?
Because there's quite a big difference with my experience.

Milo Minderbinder
27th May 2013, 17:25
IE10 is a lot better, and a lot safer than IE9 or IE8

Loose rivets
27th May 2013, 17:58
So what is the browser or choice now? He typed on his FF 17 01

Milo Minderbinder
27th May 2013, 18:14
Locked down Firefox, whatever happens to be the latest version. Locked down with all the security plugins
but
IE10 for banking
but.....if you happen to work for the UK Government probably IE8 because they're too tightfisted to update the software to work with later browsers

Stay away from Chrome. Its insecure

angels
4th Jun 2013, 20:06
AtomKraft - Thanks for posting about this. Less than a week ago, I was happily Ppruning when my computer shut down for a bit and then re-started with IE10.

I hate it. Pages close mysteriously, the back arrow often dumps you three or pages back, my bank web page has got tiny font, the spullchuck works on this site and I don't want it to, blah blah.

Thanks to BOAC for posting a solution, but just one question from a man of very little computer brain. Will the computer uninstall IE10 when I re-install 8? Also, how do I stop IE10 from just rudely muscling it's way into my life again?

TIA for any plain English tips.

Dark Knight
7th Jun 2013, 03:16
Go to Windows Update where IE10 update should be shown in Optional Updates
Ensure it is NOT selected and/or Right Click<>Hide Updates

This should ensure it does not appear in the update list from now on.

Apparently IE11 is available but have no information on how good it may be.

I found IE10 to be a pain with all sorts of problems basically not working correctly.

My experience Firefox is good and have not had any problems with Chrome which is the fastest of all

angels
8th Jun 2013, 20:01
Dark Knight - Many thanks. I have successfully regressed.

Cheers. :ok:

Sunnyjohn
8th Jun 2013, 20:39
Stay away from Chrome. Its insecure
Why, Milo?

Heathrow Harry
9th Jun 2013, 10:19
as far as I'm aware it does have some issues but then so does IE, Firefox etc etc

OFSO
9th Jun 2013, 11:00
Chrome: check the cache were it stores *everything* about you. It's big. I don't like Chrome either.

Ancient Observer
9th Jun 2013, 12:09
I do not understand why web developers keep on developing sites that only work with IE.

On various sites I have entered my various details, only to find that they do not work with FF.

Is it meanness, or laziness?

Sunnyjohn
9th Jun 2013, 19:04
They're way out of date, AO. Use of Firefox and Chrome overtook IE in 2011.
Browser Statistics (http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp).

OFSO, thanks for that but I thought the use of Google already compromised one's security in that regard. Does Chrome compromise it more than the use of Google?

Milo Minderbinder
9th Jun 2013, 20:48
Chrome is based on the Webkit browser engine, which is inherently insecure.
Too many unpatched bugs in it - more than in IE
Safari is also based on Webkit and has the same issues

Sunnyjohn
10th Jun 2013, 16:21
Thanks, Milo - glad I've got a Mac!

Guest 112233
10th Jun 2013, 19:02
"So what is the browser or choice now? He typed on his FF 17 01"

Rivets: the latest version is FF 21 - I've a feeling that prior to V.18 it suffered from memory leakage. It ate into your available RAM as time went on.

I'm a user of Firefox - Highlight Help, About Firefox and I think there's an update/check Ver Box - by the way, Linux is slightly different.

CAT III

Milo Minderbinder
10th Jun 2013, 19:37
"glad I've got a Mac! "

Err........Macs use Safari by default and have the same Webkit weakness.

Better to install Firefox and lock it down

Safari is probably the most vulnerable part of a Mac

Sunnyjohn
10th Jun 2013, 21:10
I'm not about to be complacent and I do have a firewall and a good piece of virus software but in the elven years that I have had Macs, I have never had a virus nor, to the best of my knowledge, had my security compromised. I will continue to use Safari, Chrome and Firefox until I'm proved otherwise!