PDA

View Full Version : FAA licences in Belize

DH98
29th Apr 2002, 10:00
Anybody got any info on licencing requirements for Belize. I have an offer to train on an FAA licence, the only thing I can do due to eyesight regs, JAA rules prevent me from achieving a class 1. Is Belize a viable option for UK nationals to work (AG/Bush flying) or is it a closed shop, if not what are the long term opportunities?

Finally anybody got any info on Sam Riggs Flying Services. For AG training he would be my first choice, mainly because he at least has bothered to respond to my enquiries and been very encouraging.

mkeelan
29th Apr 2002, 22:07
belize does not have it's own license system. to be able to fly commericially in belize you have to get your current license (FAA, JAA, Canadian, ect.) validated by the civil aviation authority for use in belize. this requires writting a written test and you have to have a minimum of 750 hours total time.

there are 2 commuter airlines and 2 charter companies in belize. maya islan air and tropic air both hire forieng nationals when the need is there. they fly C172, C207, caravans and islanders. the charter companies care called Cari-Bee and Javiers Flying Service. Cari-Bee flies a C182 and a cherokee 6. Javiers flies a C172 and a C206.

currently we have more than enough pilots here, but there is a good chance of some need this fall.

good luck

DH98
2nd May 2002, 08:54
Thanks for the info. I'm getting ahead of myself at the moment, just want to see whether my cunning plan is all that cunning. My intention is to get the requisite licences, FAA, and chance my luck. The type of flying on offer is exactly what I want, no large airlines, just small island hopping local stuff. Are there opportunities for Crop Dusting do you know?

flufdriver
2nd May 2002, 14:24
Mckeelan: What do you know about an outfit called BEL-AIR or something like that?

Are there any rumors of Belize looking at starting a national carrier?

lefrancaoui
2nd May 2002, 17:08
Mkeelan, I used to fly for Tropic Air 4 years ago, where you there?:) :) :)

lizzard
6th May 2002, 08:03
Hey Mkeelan,
Finding this info on Belize very, very interesting and would be very gratefull if u can help with e-mail adress to forward C.V. to.
Currently in West Africa flying Caravans, but seriously thinking of getting over there for the next season.
Rated on everything you mentioned they fly there, 1350 tt CAA Com.
Contactible at [email protected]

Always Moving
16th May 2002, 20:46
hey Lizzard how did you landed that job in naerobi?

mkeelan
30th May 2002, 19:46
bel air is a company that is trying to get going. some US company is trying to get CAA approval to operate Bel Air as Belize's first flag carrier. i think they would be using cayman airways aircraft. nothing is for sure yet though.

mkeelan
30th May 2002, 19:48
lefrancaoui

i have been working for tropic for 2 years now so i guess i missed you. where are you flying nowadays?
cheers,

mike

B Sousa
31st May 2002, 00:04
How about some scoop on helicopter jobs for tourism, charter etc. Do they exist and drop a name of a company or two....
Not interested in all that jungle stuff anymore, let the kids spread the skids....

lefrancaoui
1st Jun 2002, 09:13
Hi Mkeelan,

I'm now flying in Europe for Air Atlanta (747)
I really enjoyed flying in Belize, it was certainely the best moments in my carreer.
If you happen to see Victor V3, Eston, Mike Estel or Mike Kuhn (is he still chief pilot?) please say hello from Patrick the flying frenchie.

cheers, enjoy this wonderful country

Patrick

flufdriver
3rd Jun 2002, 02:25
You are correct McKeelan, we did a charter flight for them(BelAir) recently, negotiations are ongoing about us (Cayman) doing some flying for them untill they can get their own show on the road.
I wish them luck.

mkeelan
6th Jun 2002, 00:13
hey partrick,

i heard stories about you.... estell, heston, kuhn, and all the guys are still here. not much changes. mike kuhn was telling me about some french guy that got into male entertainment to help get by while you weren't getting paid. that you???
best luck to ya.

ps - where is Air Atlantic based? they hire x-pats?

cheers,
mike

lefrancaoui
10th Jun 2002, 07:49
Hi Mkeelan, well actually I got paid 50$ for my performance ;) not bad for an amateur...
I really have to visit all the guys in Belize they are the nicest collegues you can dream of.:) :)
Air Atlanta is based in Iceland and they do hire expats. The only condition is to have the type rating. They operate 747 and 767. Right now the need is more on 767 drivers.
Don't hesitate to contact me on my private email.

cheers

Patrick

BlueCross
12th Jun 2002, 03:42
Hang on, let's see if I understand this. You need 750 hours total to get your license validated over in Belize? I have a Canadian CPL, and multi IR, just over 200 hours. How would I go about getting those 750 hours over there? I've been seriously looking into this as an option.