PDA

View Full Version : Need help planning long U.S. cross country from CZBB

kwuen
26th May 2013, 04:33
Hello, I am a student pilot working on CPL at Boundary Bay in Canada.
I've already done my 300nm cross country to Edmonton City Center and Spring Bank.

I am now planning for a long cross country to the States.
Unlike places in Canada, I simply don't know where to go because I don't know places in the States.

I am planning for a trip total of three days. I am thinking one day of flying to get to somewhere, one day of relaxing, and the last day to come back.

It will be nice to experience differences of US air spaces to Canada.
I prefer to spend less for overnight stay.

Any good suggestions for my trip planning?
Good airports to visit, to stay one day, or to overfly to experience class B airspace...etc?? (never been to class B)

Bearcat F8F
26th May 2013, 08:41
For some class B action, I think KSEA seems to be your closest/ only option unless you want to fly quite far.

I'm afraid I can't suggest any good airports/ hotels as I've never been in that part of the US.

However, if it was me, I would just fly where the wind takes you... I mean I would explore everything... just fly to as many interesting airports/ locations as possible... for my hour building, I google-mapped lots of different locations and then just flew to the ones I thought would be most interesting/ scenic.

Hotel-wise, I would just google it for any location you like. Maybe somone else can help you out on that front.

Good luck with the trip!

MarkerInbound
26th May 2013, 09:03
Just to be clear, you're a private pilot working on your commercial, correct? FAR 61.95 requires student pilots to have ground and flight training (and a logbook record of both) from a FAA CFI before operating in Class B airspace.

Bearcat F8F
26th May 2013, 16:41
Just to be clear, you're a private pilot working on your commercial, correct? FAR 61.95 requires student pilots to have ground and flight training (http://www.pprune.org/#) (and a logbook record of both) from a FAA CFI before operating in Class B airspace. Yeah,but I think he means he has a PPL. With a PPL, he can fly into Class B if he so desires.

I can't imagine a student pilot without a PPL doing 300nm x-countries!

kwuen
27th May 2013, 01:17
I have Canadian PPL with night rating, and I am working on my CPL.

Bearcat F8F
27th May 2013, 08:47
Yep, then you can do whatever you want below FL180 in the US except for overflying restricted areas etc.

It's a beautiful part of the world where you are... I would explore every corner :ok:

kaptn
27th May 2013, 13:14
You won't be able to fly B airspace without a certain requirments...I would recommand you to see in which airspace you'll be flying before deciding on the destination...you may take an instructor with you..

MarkerInbound
27th May 2013, 13:26
Ah, you want to look at 91.131 (Requirements for Operating in Class B) and report back?

Trolle
27th May 2013, 13:50
You should ask yourself what experience do you want. Are you looking for Class B action? Uncontrolled? Both? Coastal conditions? Inland? Where do you want to spend the night?

Plus, what aircraft are you flying and what are its performance characteristics? Do you want mountain flying? Etc.

How many hours do you need? As many as possible or a specific number? Maybe follow the coast and then head inland for an overnight somewhere where the fog won't bother you for an early morning departure.

Treat it as a learning experience and file a flight plan, get the weather enroute from Flight Watch or receive through a VOR, use Flight Following, listen to a HIWAS, consider flying at night but watch the fog...basically, if there are any differences than Canada (never flown there) then try it out. You may make mistakes on the radio but nobody will bite your head off.

Found this, but I am sure you already know more about the procedures than I do:
http://www.bordenflyingclub.com/CMQFiles/Cross_Border_Operations_Manual.pdf

It's a great area to fly in and you can see and experience a great deal. Maybe you can make it as far as Portland or Bend, which are nice places.

Bearcat F8F
27th May 2013, 14:40
If you don't have your IR rating, you won't be able to fly B airspace...I would recommand you to see in which airspace you'll be flying before deciding on the destination...you may take an instructor with you..
Is that because he has a Canadian PPL?

An FAA PPL allows you to do Class B transitions or land in Class B airports.

kaptn
27th May 2013, 18:03
more specific..not because of having a PPL or not, but obtain ATC clearance and aircraft must be equipped with a two-way radio for communications with ATC and an operating Mode C transponder, furthermore aircraft overflying the upper limit of any Class B airspace must have an operating Mode C transponder.

Visual Flight Rules (VFR) flights may proceed under their own navigation after obtaining clearance but must obey any explicit instructions given by ATC.

Pilots operating in Class B airspace must have a private pilot's certificate, or have met the requirement of CFR 61.95. These are often interpreted to mean "have an instructor's endorsement for having been properly trained in that specific Class B space." However, it does not apply to student pilots seeking sport or recreational certificates. Some Class B airports (within Class B airspaces) prohibit student pilots from taking off and landing there and are listed in the AIM .

Bearcat F8F
28th May 2013, 07:27
more specific..not because of having a PPL or not, but obtain ATC clearance and aircraft must be equipped with a two-way radio for communications with ATC and an operating Mode C transponder, furthermore aircraft overflying the upper limit of any Class B airspace must have an operating Mode C transponder.

Visual Flight Rules (VFR) flights may proceed under their own navigation after obtaining clearance but must obey any explicit instructions given by ATC.

Pilots operating in Class B airspace must have a private pilot's certificate, or have met the requirement of CFR 61.95. These are often interpreted to mean "have an instructor's endorsement for having been properly trained in that specific Class B space." However, it does not apply to student pilots seeking sport or recreational certificates. Some Class B airports (within Class B airspaces) prohibit student pilots from taking off and landing there and are listed in the AIM .
Well, I'm pretty sure any self-respecting pilot is aware there are minimum rules and laws to satisfy with operations in any class of airspace.

My point was that you said he need an IR... which is not true. PPL is fine as long as all the requirements that you posted above are met.

kaptn
28th May 2013, 16:07
Correct...just edited the previous comment to make more clear...