PDA

View Full Version : Which country and which school to choose?

Marshall300
23rd May 2013, 22:39
Hi, been watching these forums for a while and it's been a great source of information which helped me a lot to understand how things are done in aviation... So I think I've finally got a way to finance my CPL training, but as it's a hefty commitment I want to be careful about which school I'm picking. I know probably the best country to get a CPL in terms of prices, quality and weather would be the US, but I'd like to sort out all the options, besides after the training is done I assume it would be pretty difficult to get an instructor job without the work visa... That's why I'm also considering Australia where training prices are pretty much the same as in the US, but I hear it's much easier to get work after training for a non-resident, how true is that? Next is Philippines which is famous for it's cheapness, both training and cost of living wise. But as I read here on the forums it has it's drawbacks like old aircraft, not enough hours and overall low quality but I'd still like to hear the opinions... Besides those I'm looking into other Southeast Asian countries like Indonesia, Thailand or Malaysia, basically because that's the region where I want to work in my future... But I guess my main concern is where I can get a job right after training to start building hours and compensating the cost of training. Thank you all in advance...

Tdeeck
29th May 2013, 17:35
Also interested in this subject..
In my area I know only Aylaa aviation, and from what most of these guys say apparently it's one BIG no.
But then there's feedback where they just love it?!

I really do hope someone does answer this thread....

B2N2
3rd Jun 2013, 15:12
Well for starters you are doing good by going thorugh all you options instead of shooting for the first one.
In your quest avoid the following like the plague;

Large payments upfront or even during the course.
A training course with a garanteed job at the end.

Here is why:

There is nothing, read absolutely nothing in the flight training industry which requires a large payment upfront.
You haven't done any training yet, what are you paying for?
If anything it is a tool (read weapon) for a school to tie you to them. You won't be likely to leave if you still have $20K in your account with no way of getting it back.
Yes, certain things a school needs to pay upfront like, fuel, rent, insurance.
But they shouldn't need your money to do this.

Second, there is no such thing as a garanteed job.
No school can garantee a need for instrcutors or anything else 6-9 months from now. They cannot predict their student load unless they have a training contract with an airline or such.
Yes, I can give you a uniform and a job and tell you to be here from 0800-1800 without getting paid and waiting for customers.
It's called a zero-hour contract and that is not a job.

Graham@IDC
3rd Jun 2013, 21:34
Hi,

I'm probably going to upset a few people on this forum but here goes. Do NOT go to the Philippines for your training. From my personal experience their training standards are lax as is the oversight from the authorities. I don't have personal experience of the other SE Asian countries you mention but I've heard nothing that would warrant recommending them. Australia and the US by contrast have some excellent schools.

On a more general note, choosing a school by price is likely to be a false economy. You need to choose on credibility. A frozen ATPL is not a passport to employment it's just the basic qualification which allows you to be considered for a job.

Airlines are very cautious organisations and like to select their recruits from graduates of well known and well respected schools.

Marshall300
3rd Jun 2013, 23:59
B2N2, Graham thank you guys for your insights, after a lot of detailed research on the Philipines I decided to cross it off. You're absolutely right, training is about quality and not only the airlines are looking for it, it's a matter of own safety. So at this point it's Australia vs the US for me which I'd like to elaborate... First issue is how convertable are CASA and FAA-issued licences into each other, will I have to pass all of the exams and checkrides again if I decide to work under another aviation authority? Another issue probably needs resolving on the immigration forums, but maybe someone here has such an experience... What typically happens after foreign students succesfully finish their training? Are they able to find a job in this country? Did anyone actually stay in say Australia and kept flying there?