PDA

View Full Version : CEO of Air Switzerland 22 years old?

N380UA
29th Apr 2002, 06:00
Air Switzerland (http://www.cash.ch/index.cfm?kat=1&rub=50&id=107)

The page is in German but is stating the guy who got the money together is just 22 years old. I hope the management is somewhat more experienced.

VIKING9
29th Apr 2002, 06:15
and your point is ??:rolleyes:

ramsrc
29th Apr 2002, 06:31
He may be young, but someone capable of raising that sort of capital cannot be that inexperienced.

Spitoon
29th Apr 2002, 07:45
And if he can run an airline profitably and efficiently - without making some of the duff decisions that the recent Swissair management made - let him run it too!

I thought ageism was being outlawed! :rolleyes:

N380UA
29th Apr 2002, 07:55
Not that raising this amount of money for a 22 year old is not a tremendous accomplishment; in fact I’d say this guy is a great been counter. The point is: do you really want a bean counter to run the show and such a young one at that? Haven’t we seen the results of such ventures enough recently? Be it as it may I still wish this enterprise and all involved the best of luck

METO power
29th Apr 2002, 08:01
It’s a misprint, he is actually 32.

VIKING9
29th Apr 2002, 09:56
32 - oh well that makes all the diffrence then :rolleyes:

Superpilut
29th Apr 2002, 11:29
Want a pilot to do the job, then?
That will lead to success:rolleyes:
Let the guy prove himself, indeed if he can already raise such an amount of money, he must know something of how to handle cash.
Which IMHO most airlines don't have a clou about..;)

(edit for typo.)

ATC Watcher
29th Apr 2002, 12:35
To start an airline you need 2 persons : one that does not know anything about Aviation but has a lot of money ( age is not important ) and another one that knows a lot about aviation but has no money ( the older the better ). Generally after a few years the result is that you have 2 guys who both by now know a lot about avaition and both have no money.
Only exception : Richard Branson, who before , it was too late, sold half his airline to the Singaporians, so that even if his airline fails now he still will have made a very good return on his initial investment.
Ah.. to know when to withdraw in time....

Alpha Leader
29th Apr 2002, 12:57
In the end, it's running a business, and the skill set for that is widely available. The interesting point is that this is supposedly a charter operation aimed at business travellers, which obviously raises a couple of questions, not least about alliances, as the limited network they are looking at would in itself not be sufficient to survive on pax used to clocking up lots of loyalty miles.

Another interesting point in the story is that Air Switzerland managed to pick up two ex-SQ A340s (3 - 4 years old) for about US$25m per piece, which makes you wonder about the integrity of the balance sheet of many airlines:eek:

Finally: the livery is a lot more attractive than that of LX, which looks like a low-cost, no-frills outfit that doesn't want to invest in too much corporate paintwork just in case they would have to conduct a fire sale :rolleyes: