PDA

View Full Version : A sin-bin for PPRuNe

OFSO
21st May 2013, 11:48
I wil not name names, but every now and then a familiar - perhaps beloved - name disappears from PPRuNe for a week or a month or longer, and rumours start to spread that he (never a she in my recollection) has been banished.

Shouldn't be that way.

Somewhere we should have a sin bin, where one can read the name of the banned person, the crime he committed and the length of sentence. Just so we know he's still in the land of the living, or not gone to live in Slough and become Despondent.

How about it, Mods ?

MagnusP
21st May 2013, 11:57
Uh-oh. The first yellow card goes to - - - - OFSO! :p

Buster Hyman
21st May 2013, 12:00
No, he should be fine Magnus. He didn't mention post count in the....oh sh*t! :uhoh::uhoh::uhoh:

angels
21st May 2013, 12:00
Just look at one of their old posts via a search on their name.

If it has the 'banned' tag, then they're, er, banned! Perhaps your thread could tell us what the sentence is and the crime.

But then it's more work for the unpaid mods....

Bushfiva
21st May 2013, 12:15
If you go to that effort, then perhaps we could vote on whether they stay gone or not.

onetrack
21st May 2013, 12:17
OFSO, you're talking about a long list and big job detailing all the relevant sins. I don't think anyones up to it. :E

I take the view that my banning is a badge of honour. If someone made a medal for being banned, I'd proudly wear it with all my others. :E Anyone who hasn't been banned, is a wuss, too timid to put up a controversial post. :E :ouch:

OFSO
21st May 2013, 12:17
perhaps we could vote on whether they stay gone or not.

Horrors ! That would be a Democracy. Kindly go off and make such suggestions on the UKIP thread.

dead_pan
21st May 2013, 12:26
Anyone who hasn't been banned, is a wuss, too timid to put up a controversial post.

Perhaps you could give us an example, to help us wusses learn from you?;)

Discuss democracy on the UKIP thread? I say, what an impertinent suggestion. That thread is solely reserved for invective, name-calling and spreading misinformation. The other contributors say some stuff too...

david1300
21st May 2013, 12:33
I often wonder why someone has been banned, and for how long. Would be good to know, so that I could either avoid or emulate the misdeed.

Davaar
21st May 2013, 12:36
Slough and become Despondent.

Or overcome by a phrenzy distemper, and off on a pilgrimage.

500N
21st May 2013, 12:37
When you get sin binned, you don't know, it just happens,
although since you wrote the post you can normally guess.

I just wish people were sin binned for a week or month
instead of banned outright, something that used to happen
in the past more than it seems to happen now.
(taking into account I only really look at 6 or so forums
so don't see the whole picture.)

cavortingcheetah
21st May 2013, 12:42
Copies of the postings on Pprune which have got me banned over the years could be available via PM for one hundred guineas a copy. Proceeds go to the Kippers.

Rwy in Sight
21st May 2013, 12:43
I had suggested when a beloved PPRuNer with a great experience on female bodies was banned, to have a thread where the offending remarks leading to the banning were published.

I was told that this would be a most boring thread. So I dropped the idea.

Rwy in Sight

Turbine D
21st May 2013, 12:47
OFSO,
I wil not name names, but every now and then a familiar - perhaps beloved - name disappears from PPRuNe for a week or a month or longer, and rumours start to spread that he (never a she in my recollection) has been banished.
I will, Jane DoH, as of the USA Politics Hamster Wheel fame. She also had interesting questions and posts in the Tech Log. I was surprised to see her disappear and never understood why...:ugh:

TD

rgbrock1
21st May 2013, 12:49
Turbine D:

Jane Doh was permanently axed. She is, however, alive and well and kicking. A very smart young lady indeed.

bigfatsweatysock
21st May 2013, 12:49
A sinbin? You mean like a pilots report? Or pirep to make it more familiar?

500N
21st May 2013, 12:51
Jane DoH

I wondered where she went to.

toffeez
21st May 2013, 12:54
Now do you understand the rules, OFSO?

Rule 1: This is not a democracy.

Rule 2: If you discuss further, off with your head.

dead_pan
21st May 2013, 13:28
Perhaps we could vote, gladiator-style, on a violators fate using the smilies?

He/she lives to fight another day: :ok:

He/she gets axed: := (in the absence of a thumbs-down smilie)

Finally, I couldn't give a flying whatsit: :hmm:

Lon More
21st May 2013, 13:30
Much easier, back in the day when Danny's word was final.

500N
21st May 2013, 13:31
Deleted post.

rgbrock1
21st May 2013, 13:37
Or maybe we can vote along the lines of Stephen King's 'Running Man'.

If you get voted off the "program" - in this case PPRuNe - instead of being banned you're simply killed instead. :}:}:}

tony draper
21st May 2013, 13:50
There used to be a points system once,depending upon the degree of nortyness so many points on yer prooning licence, if you accumulated more than a specified number out you went.
Dont recall how long it lasted,but I suspect some prooners would looks at their points and think,Buggrit!I'll tell that bloke exactly what I think of him, worth four points that and I will still have two points spare.
Hmmm when the chat room was running one could be booted out six times in a night.
Danny' name didn't show up in the who was chatting list.
:E

OFSO
21st May 2013, 13:58
the lines of Stephen King's 'Running Man'

Appropriate since sometimes I think we are on 'The Long Walk'.

Moor a couple of hulks off Portsmouth for offenders, eh Tony?

Fantome
21st May 2013, 14:26
Ah what then? . . .. . . could history repeat itself? .. . . . resettlement of the new world. . . .. . Van Dieman's Land repopulated afresh with Rainboes and Slashers and lots of Jane Dohs to strengthen the gene pool.

Anyone who hasn't been banned, is a wuss, too timid to put up a controversial post.I'd prefer a new edition of the Spanish Inquisition than to ever
be intimidated by any Richard the Third who usurps his position and power. Plaques to the memory of those who stood their ground such as Binos (RIP) and tellers of fabulous flying fables such as Duke Elegant (RIP) should adorn the walls of the common room. Or be nailed to the main mast.

Arthur:
Shut up, will you? Shut up!

Dennis:
Ah, now we see the violence inherent in the system.

Arthur:
Shut up!

Dennis:
Oh! Come and see the violence inherent in the system! Help! Help! I'm being repressed!

Arthur:
Bloody peasant!

Dennis:
Oh, what a give-away. Did you hear that? Did you hear that, eh? That's what I'm on about. Did you see him repressing me? You saw it, didn't you?

MagnusP
21st May 2013, 14:30
All of the new sprogs looking like mini-Slashers? Scary. ;)

rgbrock1
21st May 2013, 14:43
MagnusP:

Perhaps you can enlighten this colonist but what the hell is a "sprog"?

Rainboe? Did someone mention Rainboe? What ever did happen to him?

Alloa Akbar
21st May 2013, 14:49
one could be booted out six times in a night

Reminds me of my second marriage.. :ouch:

Fantome
21st May 2013, 14:53
"People who make sprogs should be locked up in a room full of sprogs and then strangled to death with a condom which is what they should've used in the first place."

A British term to be sure. Before there were kids there were sprogs. It could derive from frog spawn. In recent times
it has become more a term of affection than derogatory. It will
probably slip away out of the vernacular.

MagnusP
21st May 2013, 14:59
Sorry, rgb, it's a child. I think it was Drapes who extended the noun "sprog" into the verb "sprogulate".

MagnusP
21st May 2013, 15:00
Also used for a new recruit to the RAF, for some reason.

V2-OMG!
21st May 2013, 15:06
Controversial, damaging behaviour behind the scenes -
that's the real sin, IMO. :yuk:

rgbrock1
21st May 2013, 15:08
Thanks to all for clarifying the word "sprog". Again, I was married to a Scouser for almost 10 years and this was also another word I never heard uttered. (Heard lots of other odd-sounding terms and words but not this one.)

So when I get home tonight I might say to the wife: "Let's go make some sprogs." :ok::ok::ok:

Fantome
21st May 2013, 15:27
in triplicate ? what fun, so many buns. Until you count the cost.

'and how do you name this child?' and this child? and this child?'

'errr. . .. .. . . . emicon one, two and three? that sound alright?'

V2-OMG!
21st May 2013, 15:55
"Let's go make some sprogs."

rg, sounds like a confectionary as in, let's go make some fudge.

What if she says, "Naah. The kitchen's closed?" :O

Alloa Akbar
21st May 2013, 16:00
V2-OMG - Given the context of rgb's post, I would suggest that your choice of words let's go make some fudge was either ill-thought out, or comedy genius..

Are you seriously suggesting rgb is interested in making (and by default) packing fudge?? :eek:

PS - I know.. I'm an inappropriate sexist oaf.. but you did make me laugh ;):p

Davaar
21st May 2013, 16:04
A British term to be sure

I think Magnus is correct.

My earliest recollection of "Sprog" is from the wartime RAF, as in "Sprog P. O.", or "Sprog Pilot Officer", or, for American readers, it could have been but never to my knowledge was a "Sprog 2nd Lieutenant, USAAF".

The adjective "Sprog" fell into the class known to English studies as "an essential epithet"; all "P.O.s" were Sprogs. Pilot Officer Prune, of the RAF's Tee Emm and, unwittingly, of PPRuNe was the quintessential Sprog P.O.

The equivalent in the Royal Navy, less used by the general public, was "Young"; as in "a Young Subbie", to connote a "Young Sub-Lieutenant", although so essential was that epithet in the RN that every sub-lieutenant was a "Young Sub". Thus a 35-year old Commissioned Warrant Officer, who wore the distinction lace of a sub-lieutenant, with several years' boy's time (and therefore not reckoned in the calculation) "in", followed by 17 years' man's time, might hear himself referred to by an insufferable pup of a Dartmouth-schooled lieutenant in his mid-twenties, as a "Young Sub".

V2-OMG!
21st May 2013, 16:05
Alloa, both are sweet, creamy, and incorporate some nuts. :O :p

Alloa Akbar
21st May 2013, 16:21
If we applied Tennis scoring, that would be "advantage V2"

:D

Fantome
21st May 2013, 16:30
nah AA . . . . . more like deuce

consider for a moment who is the server and who the servee?

in Shakespeare there's an awful lot of serving going on

'for this service, much thanks'

a variation on bend over and I'll drive you home ?

Milo Minderbinder
21st May 2013, 16:49
Interesting to read Slashers take on this at Have you taken the PPRuNe 'Walk of Shame'? :: PIREP (http://bit.ly/11Nu1Yb)

He's obviously convinced theres malice afoot on the part of certain people.

More intriguingly, ever since I was recently banned, if anyone else has tried to log onto PPrune via my network, they get a mysterious "server is too busy" error. Someones trying to be clever methinks.
If you change the IP address everything works....

rgbrock1
21st May 2013, 16:53
rgbrock1 is not at all interested in "packing fudge."

rgbrock1 is very interested in Mrs. rgbrock1's...... cats. :ok::ok::ok:

Milo Minderbinder
21st May 2013, 17:32
yuk cats.... horrible hairy furry things that catch tits and other birds

Lon More
21st May 2013, 17:37
To paraphrase one of your friends Milo, do you have to drag your hatred of cats into every thread Or does the thought of a pussy get you worried, Milo Genderbender?

rgbrock1
21st May 2013, 17:45
Milo wrote:

yuk cats.... horrible hairy furry things

Not all puss... cats... are furry. Bald ones are very nice too you know. :}:}:}

Milo Minderbinder
21st May 2013, 17:45
the ones that get me worried are the ones that make me sneeze. Usually the hairier ones

Milo Minderbinder
21st May 2013, 17:58
Friends?? If I knew I still had friends I'd have borrowed more money from them...who are they?