PDA

View Full Version : ants indoors

rans6andrew
21st May 2013, 09:08
we returned from a week away to find ants in the kitchen, not many, but all over the place. There was barely any food about, we had tidied up and put away everything. I just squashed them as I found them and wiped down the worktops.

That was a week ago. We are still finding a few ants, every day, never a stream of them as you see in the movies. As there is so few we can't see where they are coming in. I have checked the obvious openings from the kitchen to the outside world, vents, sink drain pipe, tumble drier exhaust vent, airbricks etc and there is never any sign of ants close by.

Does anyone have a method of dissuading them which is safe to use in a domestic kitchen?

Rans6....

OFSO
21st May 2013, 09:16
Some of the powders which you sprinkle down, they take home, kills the nest, are rated OK for kitchens PROVIDED you keep distance from foodstuffs, kids, pets etc.

Last year we had them everywhere, so did everyone else. Wife up street removed a 220v plug from wall socket and they came pouring out the holes. She screamed. This year, praise God, none. So far.

About three weeks ago we had a rare spell of warm weather (just to fool us into turning the heating off) and on two successive days we found a dozen or so bees against the terrace doors - inside ! No idea where they came from and not seen again.

Just one of life's little mysteries.

27mm
21st May 2013, 09:28
Global warming, dudes. They come indoors to cool down.....:}

probes
21st May 2013, 09:29
mix sodium borate with something they like (peach yoghurt in our case - could be raw meat or honey or whatever), they're supposed to take it to their headquarters and die eventually.
Wouldn't help if you knew where they come from anyway. I read if one sprays something in there, the mother ant gets panicked and starts laying eggs frantically to save the species.

Lightning Mate
21st May 2013, 09:37
Try Nippon.

bluecode
21st May 2013, 09:38
Yes they've arrived in my house, only small numbers so far. I'll be buying one of those little containers of poison which you can place somewhere they pass by. They bring it back to the nest and it's ant genocide.

Funniest place I found an ant nest was under a traffic cone in the garden. An ant skyscraper.

Maxbert
21st May 2013, 10:29
Funnily enough I just read on a totally unrelated website that ants don't like cucumber / cucumber peel. A few peelings left here and there? Can't get more kitchen-friendly than that :ok:

*Disclaimer- I have no idea whether the above is true.*

Maxbert

rans6andrew
21st May 2013, 10:40
I'm a bit wary of putting down anything poisonous lest it get walked to somewhere our food may come into contact with..........

As I was carrying my bowl of cereal to the table, today, an ant appeared over the edge of the bowl and headed for my dollop of yogurt.

Rans6.....

vulcanised
21st May 2013, 11:41
Mum always used to draw chalk lines around air bricks and suchlike on the basis that ants wouldn't walk over it.

I used to laugh, but it seemed to work.

Wodrick
21st May 2013, 12:09
We have had a problem for the first time this spring. It is essential to find the entry point.

Little piles of a 50/50 mix of baking powder and icing sugar works but takes a long time to be effective i.e. 60 days.

Vaseline stops them, they will not cross it.

Powders vary in their effectiveness,we get some from the local olive oil cooperative which is devastating but I suspect this will be difficult in Berkshire !

Persist, my wife is manic about the things but they have gone.

rgbrock1
21st May 2013, 12:12
There is one way to kill the ants but it requires some sunlight in the interior of the home:

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/Magnifying_Glass_kills_a_ant_2985.bmp

rans6andrew
21st May 2013, 12:18
a prod with the end of a stiff finger is quicker and doesn't burn the worktop!

Sailor Vee
21st May 2013, 12:53
A solution was given on GQT, BBC radio 4. Put down pin-head oatmeal, they will take it and de-hydrate as the grains swell. At least no poison involved.

Sunnyjohn
21st May 2013, 12:58
Use Oil of Peppermint. Not only do ants hate it but it also smells nice and is not an 'orrible chemical. All our family now use it and it works a treat.

rgbrock1
21st May 2013, 13:44
One could also conceivably burn the house down. That'll take care of the nasty little shits. :}:}:}

Fareastdriver
21st May 2013, 14:11
Throw down a handful of cockroaches.

diesel addict
21st May 2013, 16:56
Another vote for "Nippon" - make sure you get the 0.488% w/w Permethrin.

Even does for those wicked red b******s !

rgbrock1
21st May 2013, 16:59
A flamethrower works well against ants.

See, this guy is honing his skills in ant slaying. I think he's doing a marvelous job!

http://tomdiaz.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/flamethrower1.jpg

spittingimage
21st May 2013, 17:06
Yeah, I'll vote for Nippon also. Works every time. Only a few drops required and the busy creatures will soon find it and are commendably cooperative in carrying it back to their nest to do the business. But make sure it's reasonably freshly purchased. If the tube of Nippon has been standing unused for months, like since the last infestation, for some reason it does not seem to be as effective.

flying lid
21st May 2013, 17:09
Little piles of a 50/50 mix of baking powder and icing sugar works

Tried that - the little buggers took it to the nest and baked a cake !!

Lid

PukinDog
21st May 2013, 17:37
Borrow or rent an anteater.

airship
21st May 2013, 17:47
rans6andrew, going back almost a decade, I once had 2 separate colonies of ants frequenting my balcony. This was at a time that I left food out for stray cats regularly who would come and eat most nights.

Once upon a time, there was a colony of very small black ants, which had established themselves in the crevices between the tiles and underneath presumably. Another colony of somewhat bigger ants who I presume undertook a very considerable journey of approx. 30-40m from their abode in the neighbour's garden. Both colonies once gorged themselves in the bowl I left out for the cats. Strange thing was, the bigger ants appeared to be very wary of the smaller ants, always quick to avoid them and I never witnessed any combat between the 2 colonies.

My solution was to put out 2 bowls, one for the cats (with an under-plate filled with water) so that the ants could never get at, and another, just for the ants (refilled with whatever the cats didn't eat, and sometimes also little extras like a tea-spoon of honey or sugar etc.), the ants' bowl being equipped with "tooth-pick" ladders for easier access... :O

If you keep a reasonably clean kitchen together with a reliable and external food supply for the ants, then the most you have to fear are a few ant-scouts coming into the kitchen from time to time, "simply reporting back to Ant-HQ" that the kitchen was not worth further exploration and that the current external "ant-bowl" was sufficient... :ok:

Alas, the little ants who lived in my balcony all perished one very cold winter. And my neighbour in whose garden lived the other ants has for many years now been living elsewhere and trying to sell his property for over EUR 1 million. He engaged a company to undertake "regular maintenance" including the garden. Perhaps why? But I miss the neighbour's 2 cats Miles and Curious, they were always very welcome visitors (regardless of having to tread their way amongst the ants etc.)... :ok:

Milo Minderbinder
21st May 2013, 19:47
not these things are they?

They WANT to EAT YOUR COMPUTER - welcome your ANT overlords ? The Register (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/05/20/ant_fire_crazy/)

toffeez
21st May 2013, 19:54
While the dolphins, ants and magpies are honing their intelligence, we're watching morons on tv.