PDA

View Full Version : FAA PPL to DGCA PPL conversion - Need help

wassupdude82
21st May 2013, 08:31
Hello good pilots of India,

I am planning to convert my FAA PPL to DGCA PPL so that I can do some flying while I am in India.

From AIC 13/1991 regulations : -

CONVERSION OF FOREIGN LICENCES TO CORRESPONDING INDIAN LICENCES

With effect from 1st April, 1992, the pilots holding licences issued by the competent authorities of other countries shall meet the following requirements for coversion of their foreign licences to corresponding Indian licences :

Pass written examination in the following subjects in accordance with the syllabus prescribed by the Director General of Civil Aviation :
Air Regulation
Navigation, Flight Planning and Meteorology (composite Paper)
Pass Practical Test in Morse Code (Reception - Aural) at the rate of 8 words per minute for commercial Pilot’s Licence, Instrument Rating and Senior Commercial Pilot’s Licence/Airlines Transport Pilot’s Licence.
Shall be in possession of a current Certificate of Proficiency for operation of Radio Telephony apparatus on board an aircraft as issued by the Ministry of Transport and Communications under the Indian Wireless Telegraphy Rules, 1954.
Shall demonstrate his competency to the satisfaction of the DGCA approved Examiner by undergoing a Skill Test by Day and Night. The candidate shall also undergo Oral Test with the Examiner in various aviation subjects including Navigation Meteorology, Aircraft & Engine and Instruments, and performance wherever applicable.
(M.R. SIVARAMAN)

so to me its clear that I don't have to worry about Morse code, I will have to get a radio telephony license and get an endorsement from an instructor.

I would like to know what books I can read to understand classes of airspace, air regulations specific to India.

Has anyone converted from FAA PPL to DGCA PPL in this forum? what are your suggestions? how to go about it?

skyflies
21st May 2013, 16:53
This question has been asked a few times before, with hardly any responses to my recollection. I was in the same boat as you, but have stopped trying to figure it out for now. Let me know if you do!