PDA

View Full Version : Qantas Casuals

airborne1
29th Apr 2002, 02:57
Can anyone offer information on being a qantas casual.

Also have second interview tomorrow if anyone can outline details on this.

would be much appreciated.

thanks

:)

ksd333
29th Apr 2002, 04:01
what a busy "interviewee" you are, well done.

there are also a lot of members here who have experience with QF interviews, some however have still not begun work after being excepted in august last year!
again, look through the past forums and you will find all you need probably from bella75, sky pryncess, Cart tart or biscuit chucker.

the only thing i know about QF casual positions is that no flight benefits apply and sometimes the work is very staggered, i do know of someone who has been casual for 12 months and just got permanent in melb.

let us know how you go and good luck.:)

Kem
29th Apr 2002, 06:39
Huh?? Qantas are recruiting? Did I miss something?

airborne1
29th Apr 2002, 12:44
thanks ksd..the second interview is tomorrow and we find out straight away - I will let you know..and thanks for the info..much appreciated.

Kem - qantas is recruiting currently ex ansett flight attendants for casual positions thru MAM.

vdd
29th Apr 2002, 21:12
Dear Airborne1

Is MAM representing ex AN F/As only? Can anyone register with them?

Do you or if anyone else has it, please let me know their website address or contact details. I can't find their website anywhere at the moment.

Thanks muchly and good luck with your interview.

Cheers

stevemelb
30th Apr 2002, 10:48
Can anyone please point me in the right direction. I can't seem to find MAM. Anyone have there web address or phone number? Would really appreciate it... Thanks.....

timos
30th Apr 2002, 12:19
I have been lucky enough to have had an interview with QF for the MAM group, but I would still like to know a bit more about how much work I am likely to get. I have only had one interview and have been sent to do my medical and sent for my CHC for the ASIC card. Anyone have any more information? Is Maurice Alexander Management (MAM) different to the previous QF casual "scheme"? Any info would be appreciated!(Pay, conditions - if any - etc.). Is this the way of things now or will QF recruit for permanent staff again in the future? Cheers!

vdd
30th Apr 2002, 13:03
Timos

Do you have any contact details for the MAM group? (Website or phone). Can't find them anywhere.

Thanx

timos
1st May 2002, 10:30
All I know about MAM is what is on the application form
and that is the full name is MAM Aviation Support Services and the ABN number 15 079 810 343.

Cheers,

Timos

stevemelb
1st May 2002, 11:35
Timos,

Any idea how I could get an application form for MAM or do you know the web address? Would appreciate any help.

timos
1st May 2002, 11:44
Stevemelb, I was handed the form to fill in after my interview at QF. I am not sure how to go about getting one. Perhaps if you contact the FAAA they may have an idea as Maurice Alexander was closely connected with them before. Just a suggestion. Sorry I don't know much else about all this either. Best of luck,

timos

airborne1
3rd May 2002, 02:31
:cool:

Hi all. Well I got thru to medical stage!!. I was a flight force flight attendant. M.A.M is / was formerly flight force operating for ansett. My belief is that conditions will be very similar to what they were for us at flight force. Lets hope they ironed out some of the problems. Work is purely seasonal as with flying hours..some months heaps of work...other months limited hours. However things may have improved. I do have a friend working for MAM out of melbourne who said the deal was pretty much the same.

There are no flight benefits. Pay is approximately $30 per hour. with DTA over and above that. I think that works at nearly $5 per hour away from home...so from sign on to sign off.

As for now I do believe that they are looking primarily at ex ansett staff and have done or are in process of recruiting australia wide.

All people that are thru to medical stage are not selected as of yet. I believe that MAM / Qantas has not set numbers yet for bases. Alot of people seemed to be getting thru second interviews so the next selection process is thru the psyche tests we were made to do on the day. I believe 100ish were successful in getting thru to medical and they will probably take 25 - 50 for training school with perhaps the remainder being on hold files.

hope this helps

MAM contact number...based in melbourne is. 0393727586

All the best. The guy to talk to is Maurice Alexander.

I do not know if this will lead to permenant down the track!

Jerry Attrick
8th May 2002, 21:33
Is there anyone out there who has scored an interview with MAM for casual QF jobs who did not previously work for Flight Force or Ansett?

Jerry Attrick
6th Jul 2002, 00:53
Timos and Airborne1 (or anyone else who might know), what did the MAM recruitment sessions consist of? Are they like Qantas walk-in interviews?

vdd
6th Jul 2002, 04:04
Hi all

A bit of info for you....

Casual Short Haul Flight Attendants

Maurice Alexander Management's (MAM) Aviation Support Service has advertised in the Sydney Morning Herald (Weekend Edition July 6-7, 2002 page 22M) and The Age in Melbourne (Saturday July 6 2002 page 11) - it has been chosen to provide Casual Flight Attendants for Qantas. MAM is looking for people to join its operations in Melbourne and Sydney as Casual Short Haul
Flight Attendants for the Qantas account.

Qantas is renowned worldwide for service excellence and it is all to do with their people and their unique Australian style.

Requirements are:

* Flexible, genuine, friendly person who enjoys customer service
* Energetic no mater what time of day
* Permanent resident of Australia
* 18 years and above
* Between 163 and 183 cm
* Current passport with at least 12 months validity
* Senior First Aid certificate with at least 12 months validity
* Responsible Service of Alcohol Statement of Attainment

Also it would be a distinct advantage if you had:

* Experience in Customer Service
* Fluency in one or more priority languages - these are Mandarin, Cantonese, Japanese, French, German and Italian

If you can answer "Yes, that's me!" to all of the above, then you can register for an interview ONLY by contacting the MAM Recruitment Registration Line on 08 8278 0150.

Phone lines will operate from Sunday 7 July 2002 (tomorrow). Make sure you have all your documents in front of you when calling (passport, Sen First Aid, RSA etc)

Maradona
6th Jul 2002, 21:05
Anyone going for the Casual positions? Its very hard if you are paying off your appartment on a casual FA wage, their might be times when you are given very little work, so you really have to look at the financial aspect too. Well all the best for those who go for the interviews. Does anyone know how long these Casual Positions are for?

Airtart
6th Jul 2002, 22:41
I believe that you get around $24.00 per hour with a guarantee of around 100.00 hrs per month + DTA.
Also there is no automatic move to perament position, you must apply when positions become available.
Hope this helps... I'll find out move during the interview !!!!

bella75
7th Jul 2002, 02:39
hi all,
i went for QF interview back in June last year and got a rejection letter from them about 2months ago..it was stated in the letter i have to wait for a 6month period to elapse before i can reapply with the Big Q..i have booked my self for an interview in Sydney 13th July for the casual position advertised in SMH..will they know the 6month period hasn't elapsed..i thought it may be different as a recruiting agent is conducting the interviews..Thanx any comments much appreciated
Regards Bella75

cabinboy
7th Jul 2002, 03:41
bella go for it , they will never know.

Fingers crossed for all of you !

Cabinboy

galleygirl
8th Jul 2002, 12:43
bella,

i went for QF long haul interviews in PER last year and got through to second round only. About a month later QF advertised in Mel for short haul and I got an interview over the phone. When I showed up to the interview and registered my name, i was no sooner called to the other end of the room with about 6 other people. We were all asked to leave as we could not re apply to QF within 6 months of applying. We had all been at the PER interviews!

Best of luck anyway. maybe because QF are recruiting through MAM it wont be the same kind of procedure.

nickmelb
9th Jul 2002, 01:06
i know of a few people from here gng for the MAM jobs...good luck to you all! you know who u r!

cheers

nick:p

cino2go
12th Jul 2002, 22:53
MAM recruitment seems to be exactly the same as Qantas.
Interviews are conducted by qantas !:rolleyes:

Kem
14th Jul 2002, 01:11
Can anyone help those of us who are completely clueless about what to expect at the "assessment" session (ie second stage of interview process) for Qantas/MAM casuals???? Maradona and Bella, how did you go at the walk-ins?

jock65
14th Jul 2002, 02:51
I attended at the interview sessions this morning (14/07/02) at 10 a.m. (MEL).

No good.

Anyone else have any luck?

When are the group interviews?

bella75
14th Jul 2002, 12:10
hi Kem,
Got thru walk in stage, going for assessment day Wednesday morning.
If its anything like Qantas interviews im guessing it will be sitting at tables doing group work. Maradona has his assessment day Tuesday, hopefully we can get a hint of what to expect!!
Good luck to all,
Regards Bella:D :D

Maradona
16th Jul 2002, 10:39
Its 8.30pm, I hope you guys and Girls get to read this before you go to your interviews tommorrow morning.

First of all, there were around 80 applicants, we got split up, 40 in one room(group A) and 40 in another (group B). 4 to a table + recruiter, had to introduce ourselves to the group, then their was info on MAM (Mr Maruice Alexander was also their and he gave us some info of what they expect of casual Flight Attendants, pay etc. Then he left, the Qf cabin manager gave info on Qantas, asked questions on Qantas, make sure you do your home work, after that had a break for 20 min, mingle with other applicants and the recruiters, have some tea or coffee, the you go back to the room (OH and we watched a video too on Saftey etc).

When we got back to the room, we did group activities, on the 6 tables, different booklets, 5 questions we had to work as a group to anwser the querstions, 1-2 min on each table, after we had been to all the tables, we went back to our table, for a on-board senario, we had to work as a group to solve the problem, then report the Recruiter of our solution to the problem.

Oh guys and girls, just be yourself, im sorry to say i failed in my attempt, but its ok, Ive been knocked down before, and i will keep getting back up. Let us know how you go, Good Luck everyone. Use this as a guide, they may change it, and the mel, one might be different to the Syd on.

smile
16th Jul 2002, 11:00
Maradona, it sounds like QF haven't changed the recruitment process since last year-- what you have described is exactly what my interview was like mid last year!!!

Great attitude by the way-- I was knocked back 3 times (different airlines) before i finally found my place at Virgin Blue-- keep trying and learning along the way!!!!

Best of luck to all the applicants
love SMILE

Paulsyd1
16th Jul 2002, 14:09
Well kids this is it.

Thank you Maradona for your insight into the assessment day process for the rest of us attending interviews on wed. You are truly a great sport, and genuinely helpfull. I love your attitude, and just because you didnt get invited back this time.. with your determination you are bound to make it. I look forward to hopefully working with you oneday in the skies.

Bella and i are meeting up in the morning for our wake up (Nerve calming) coffee before we go in... ie.moral support!!!:D
It'll be so much easier knowing someone else going in..

For others attending today (WED) Best of Luck....

We'll let you know how we go.

Regards

:cool:

Exotic-Temptress
17th Jul 2002, 11:27
Maradona

Its great you informed people of what they will expect, but hey don't allow them to make you feel that you were any less better than the one's chosen.

Sometimes you might wonder what it is that they look for....most times its just a personal judgement...they either like you or they don't. There is no special ingredient.

No airline has a perfect recruitment strategy. Through my extensive travels, i have crossed some FA'S and wondered how the hell they got chosen...no personalities, look like they don't want to be there, and simply rude.

But don't allow ANYONE to dishearten you. If trying is what you wish to do..so continue. I wish you the best of luck....

nickmelb
17th Jul 2002, 12:55
well said exotic-temptress!

cheers nick:p

airborne1
17th Jul 2002, 13:48
:) Just wanted to wish everyone the best of luck...may your wishes and hopes be fullfilled

;)

Keep on keeping on!!!

FloatJockey
19th Jul 2002, 13:48
Uh! Thanks guys n girls! Even if your comments were not directly for me, they are of great help! So far I got rejected by VB, EK, Impulse, Qantas Casuals and recently by Australian, what a collection! I'll have loads of stories to tell my granchildren ;)

Sometime it is really hard to keep focused after receiving that "thanks but no thanks" letter: it is as bad as a kick in the stomach!! I could never get used to it!

"Somebody" told me that the job is easier than the interview process itself... don't think it's true but after 5 "rejections", I guess I understand what "somebody" meant with that...

Maybe the airline waiting for me still has to be invented!?!... :D

Mrs. FloatJockey

flying_fox
19th Jul 2002, 21:28
So sorry to hear about Australian.

If you dont give up you will get there. Most FA's that I know have a line of failed interview processes behind them before finally receiving that almighty "Yes" letter. I know I had several attempts.........

I found that I would always get to the third interview and then mess it up. In hindsight, I probably had the interview in the bag and then I would say just that little bit too much and would have "talked my way out of the job"!

I will suggest to you what a great friend did for me. That is to go and do an interview course of some desccription. I had all of the right attributes but just could not bring them across sucessfully in that final interview. I went and did one and it really helped. (It also gave me some self-confidence back - after a few knockbacks it tends to be a little battered and bruised.) This sort of professional help can pinpoint for you exactly where you are going wrong. Beleive me, it is probably something oh so slight that you may be saying or doing that is holding you back!

My very next application led to employment as a Flight Attendant.

The trick is to learn something from each failure and to keep focused and never give up. You WILL eventually get there. It is obvious that you will - because you keep getting so far into the interview process each time!

All the best,

Foxy.