PDA

View Full Version : atpl in kidlington and accomadation

kebabman
22nd Feb 2001, 20:06
I am going to be doing my atpl next summer (2002) and am planning to carry it out in kidlington, by the way this is not a request for abuse to be sent in about that airport, cos i know how touchy people get about those types of letters! I want to try and find out the best option for accomadation. My dad has said he will buy a three bedroom house near the airport for me to stay in, then rent out the other rooms to people doing the course, thus paying off some of the mortgage, is this a good option? Cheers, kebabman, and no, im not turkish. not that it would be a bad thing. well, it may be.

Jason2000
22nd Feb 2001, 21:07
Kebabman,

If you live in Abingdon, then surely it would be a lot cheaper if you just drove into Kidlington each day. That's only about 15 mins isn't it??

Just a suggestion!

Jason

kebabman
22nd Feb 2001, 21:12
cheers for the response, but i live way past abingdon, not easy access to the A34, thus making my journey over 40 minutes.

What_does_this_button_do?
22nd Feb 2001, 21:29
40 minutes - get a grip - it takes most commuter workers an hour to get in to their place of work

d'oh!

batty
23rd Feb 2001, 12:48
40 minutes! I know people at Oxford who travel over an hour each way

Going Around & Around
23rd Feb 2001, 14:43
I finished at OATS last year and lived with my parents just South of Didcot for the course with a 40 minute drive. It saved me thousands, even with the petrol! As for buying a place, I'm sure you know it's not cheap around there and it's all very well if they are not looking at it long term. I personally, (having looked into it with my parents) persuaded them no to risk it because who knows how many people will be training there in 3 years time and if all of those are sponsored, they won't need accomodation! I would suggest you live at home or if that's unbearable, rent in the area. Myself and 3 mates looked at renting a 4 bedroom house in Lower Heyford that would've cost far less than OATS accomadation (and been far more pleasant), but a couple pulled out because they "couldn't be arsed to drive that far" every day (about 5 mins). Oh well!

[This message has been edited by Going Around & Around (edited 23 February 2001).]

Jason2000
23rd Feb 2001, 17:18
It's amazing how many pilot-wannabee's live where I do and never even knew it! I live in Didcot aswell.

Kebabman-you should seriously consider driving in. I drive up to Oxford occasionally to keep up my PPL hours-never found that a problem!!

Cheers
Jason

kebabman
23rd Feb 2001, 22:37
Cheers for all the response, but my dads moving to canada if all goes well in 3-4 years anyway, so ill need somewhere to live after then, and ill need to stay on in oxford after my atpl to build hours anyway. Where does everyone from this area live then?

Going Around & Around
24th Feb 2001, 04:21
I'm slightly curious as to why you have to stay near Oxford to build your hours up after the ATPL. Have you got already something lined up for afterwards? If you read the fora regularly, you will know that it is far cheaper to do it elsewhere and will probably take you longer when you consider the bad weather compared to Florida etc. I did not go the self-improver route and am therefore just trying to give an unbiased, but perhaps not terribly well informed opinion and provoke discussion from those that have more knowledge of this course.
I think you are going about things the right way by asking lots of questions, but at the risk of sounding patronising and stating the bleeding obvious, don't just use OATS because it is the nearest school. Be sure to shop around, you may decide it is the best option for you... It was for me.
If you are really keen on buying a place to live in during the training, it might even be worth considering Eastern Oxford, Cowley Road type way where there are loads of university student houses and you should generally have no trouble finding tenants after you have finished. Just a couple of thoughts.
All the best.

Pilot Pete
24th Feb 2001, 21:04
Kebabman

Drive to the airport.....you're bl**dy lucky to still have a car as a wannabee! I rented a room in Kidlington and cycled, in the winter, in the rain (can you hear those violins in the background?) as I had to sell the car!

Hour build somewhere cheaper and when you qualify and get a job you then won't have the bother of trying to sell a place to move wherever that airline want you to be. If you, or your parents buy for only a couple of years they will have all the legal bills, estate agency bills etc etc not once, but again when you inevitably move on.

Just my thoughts anyway.

Cor, don't some people have easy decisions to make as wannabees? Only joking, back down the pit now for my shift!

PP

Mooney
24th Feb 2001, 22:45
Since we are on the subject I live about 20 mins from Didcot near RAF Benson!

Time for a PPRUNE bash some time in this area then!

oh and I stayed on site while I was at OATS- I wouldn't recommend it! Drive or rent a house with fellow course mates!

Good Luck!

SpeedBird22
24th Feb 2001, 23:23
Just for the record also, I live in Wheatley, a wee little village just on the outskirts of Oxford. It's about (in non rush hour traffic) 10 mins from OATS.

I think a PPRune bash is definately in order.

SB22

[This message has been edited by SpeedBird22 (edited 24 February 2001).]

kebabman
24th Feb 2001, 23:33
Definitely, few bevvies round my house. I live in long wittenham, an even smaller (an quite possibly inbred) village! Its in between didcot and abingdon. how many people live nearby?

moggie
25th Feb 2001, 02:33
Oxford put a lot of their students in accomodation at Upper Heyford - it takes about 30 min to get to Kidlington from there so stay at home, save the dosh and spend it on petrol and beer.

kalik
26th Feb 2001, 13:05
Hi everyone ,
I live in Chunwit , about 15nm south of Los Angeles ~ there is a place called Didicot about 30mins from my place ~ is it the same place as you guys are talking about ? I've got a spare room if anyone wants it .

Jason2000
27th Feb 2001, 17:04
Long Wittenham!! You live about 3 miles away from me, Kebabman!. I'm actually studying at uni at the moment, but even this place isn't that far away. It's between Faringdon (by Wantage) and Swindon, and is called RMCS (Cranfield University). There are a few of us wannabees here. Maybe we should all get together sometime.

regards
Jason

and the chap said
27th Feb 2001, 17:24
:) LOL :)