PDA

View Full Version : GI Joe lunchbox

probes
20th May 2013, 14:08
probably I have been searching at some wrong place, can't find anything much - but is there any association with the item? Like if one had it (in the 60s or so, an elementary school boy, strong and violent. Some fiction, not a real one) did it show their status (like being from a poor family, of being village folk or something)? Or that you didn't have anything much to keep there, or that you were kind of 'rustic', whatever? Or why would it be specified, not just 'lunch box', but GI Joe lunch box.

toffeez
20th May 2013, 14:20
Been wondering for the past 50 yrs, but too shy to show my ignorance ..

How did the term 'GI' originate?

rgbrock1
20th May 2013, 14:22
GI stands for Government Issue. Basically every item a GI owns in the service is Government Issued. Including his/her body!

sitigeltfel
20th May 2013, 14:22
General Infantryman.

rgbrock1
20th May 2013, 14:24
Not everyone in the U.S. Army can be blessed, fortunate or lucky enough to be a General Infantryman. :}:}:}

Lord Spandex Masher
20th May 2013, 14:35
Especially GI Jane!

radarman
20th May 2013, 15:57
Naughty Probes. You've been looking at pictures of Linford Christie :=

green granite
20th May 2013, 16:04
More like : :E

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHlvQQrWyIs3dr3BXphZL0XRmGXW6UplSWG6xIUHT TfUSkM0VY

603DX
20th May 2013, 16:26
The term 'GI Joe lunchbox' could be an attempt by an author to establish a concise pithy phrase (i.e. a new aphorism) with a subtext, intended to suggest that the person to whom the term is applied is lacking manly qualities. The explanation being that 'GI Joe' is a plastic toy soldier, the moulding of which does not include the normal male appendages - all is smoothness under his khaki camo trousers ... And in the UK at least, the single word 'lunchbox' has become associated with the prominent bulge in male athletes' lycra shorts. (By people with very strange obsessions indeed, I think.)

Sorry if this causes embarrassment probes, but it's an honest attempt to answer your questions without using offensive terminology ... :uhoh:

green granite
20th May 2013, 16:40
Sorry if this causes embarrassment probes, but it's an honest attempt to answer your questions without using offensive terminology ..

But this is Jet Blast 603DX, why the sparing of blushes? :E:E

603DX
20th May 2013, 17:18
Yes I know, gg. I should know better than to try raising the tone hereabouts, it's bashing one's head against a wall, times ten to the power of umpteen ...

:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh: (and so on)

hellsbrink
20th May 2013, 17:28
probably I have been searching at some wrong place, can't find anything much - but is there any association with the item? Like if one had it (in the 60s or so, an elementary school boy, strong and violent. Some fiction, not a real one) did it show their status (like being from a poor family, of being village folk or something)? Or that you didn't have anything much to keep there, or that you were kind of 'rustic', whatever? Or why would it be specified, not just 'lunch box', but GI Joe lunch box.

No different to the lunch boxes available nowadays. IIRC, they did die off a bit in the 70's or 80's, but then the marketing people realised that kids would pester their parents to buy any merchandise that had their favourite character/cartoon/movie/toy/whatever on it so there is an incredible choice of "designs" out there to suit whatever kids want.

Even way back then, the marketing people know they could tie in all sorts of things to toys like G.I. Joe, although I don't remember an "Action Man" version of the lunchbox in the UK when I was a kid, so they did with everything from toys to TV series (Six Million Dollar Man, Man From U.N.C.L.E., Happy Days, etc) and they sold quite a lot of them.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
20th May 2013, 18:05
'GI Joe' in the UK was 'Action Man'.
My brother was a massive fan, and had practically everything, including the assault boat. I was made aware of the "amazingness" of 'eagle eye' and 'gripping hands' more often than I care to remember, owing to him being two years younger, with ADHD, and us sharing a bedroom. To the best of my knowledge there was no lunchbox. I don't think it was marketed in the UK due to free school meals. I do not recall a class association - when I went to 'posh school' aged 11, the rich kids had them too.

Ironically, I had meccano sets whilst a kid; then he grew up and became a mechanic, whilst I became a FJ pilot, scuba diver, mountain climber, etc. Funny old world.

rgbrock1
20th May 2013, 18:14
Fox3:

Action man? A man after action? As a kid that's what my GI Joe collection did: they went after action. With my sisters' Barbie dolls!

500N
20th May 2013, 18:21
And then he became a Ranger and put into practice with
real Barbies what he had spent years practicing with
GI Joe :O :ok:

And being a Ranger he showed the average Grunt a thing or two :O

rgbrock1
20th May 2013, 18:23
What a very smart man you are 500N!! :}:}:}

Although GI Joe, back in those days, did not come equipped with Night Observation Devices. Nor were they "sold separately." Which is unfortunate as GI Joe would never have experienced the thrill of sex in the seeming darkness. Because many of us know: Rangers Do It In the Dark!!!! :}:}:}

BenThere
20th May 2013, 18:33
I grew up with GI Joe. To me he was the gritty US soldier, sent to Europe to defeat the Nazis. He was the essence of manly, citizenly duty, called upon to right the world's wrongs, which is exactly what he did.

His contribution has lasted now for over 70 years. Bless all the GI Joes who came back, and hats off reverence to those who didn't.

rgbrock1
20th May 2013, 18:36
BenThere:

:D:D:D:D:D

http://www.ameaonline.com/OC2010/images/stories/Trips/21.%20gi%20joe.jpg

Fox3WheresMyBanana
20th May 2013, 18:38
RGB: My sister had 'Sindy' dolls for a bit, but both grew out of dolls before any 'sexual discovery by proxy' took place.
Scalextric was the one thing we all enjoyed. And 'Captain Scarlet' toys and TV shows. My brother was not one for taking heed of the "Captain Scarlet is Indestructable, you are not." warnings. He pretty much had his own room in the local hospital's Casualty ward.

rgbrock1
20th May 2013, 18:44
And, lest we forget GI Joe's foot locker. Circa 1970:

http://img0098.popscreencdn.com/122471427_1960s-hasbro-brunette-painted-hair-gi-joe-action-marine-.jpg

500N
20th May 2013, 18:58
"Scalextric was the one thing we all enjoyed."

+ 1

That and a great train set :ok:

Fox3WheresMyBanana
20th May 2013, 19:01
The train set was my dad's. You don't want to go there....:mad:

500N
20th May 2013, 19:03
rgb

I must have had some sort of GI joe stuff as I was so into
the military - Commando magazines !!!

Spent hours reading them.

Fareastdriver
20th May 2013, 19:17
One of our pilots was very careful about his appearance and he always had a well trimmed beard just like the toy. He was always known as Action Man.

sled dog
20th May 2013, 19:22
I thought that "G I " came from General Intake ?

BenThere
20th May 2013, 19:40
GI means general infantry. Get that straight.

GIs are the backbone. Always.

Next war, though, the GI's will be drones. Millions, maybe billions, of 'em.

rgbrock1
20th May 2013, 19:45
For the history of G.I. see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.I._(military (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.I._%28military))

BenThere:

The U.S. Army Infantry is the "Queen of Battle." Always has been, always will be.

500N
20th May 2013, 19:49
RGB

Great link to Wiki :O
It says GI refers to both Gov't Issue and General Infantry !

ShyTorque
20th May 2013, 20:44
The term 'GI Joe lunchbox' could be an attempt by an author to establish a concise pithy phrase (i.e. a new aphorism) with a subtext, intended to suggest that the person to whom the term is applied is lacking manly qualities. The explanation being that 'GI Joe' is a plastic toy soldier, the moulding of which does not include the normal male appendages - all is smoothness under his khaki camo trousers ...

Either that, or he's got a square knob with a handle.

probes
21st May 2013, 04:13
Oh, God, had I know'n it's just a Pandora's box! :p

OK, I'll try to process the collective knowledge somehow - there might be quite a bit in it (that said, could even be the bits in decent expression by 603DX :8).