PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo! - becoming an internet rip-off ???

Squawk7777
29th Apr 2002, 00:47
I received a "friendly" email from Yahoo! today and a few days back, advising me that for $19.99/year I am able to use the POP3/forwarding service! Is everything becoming a rip-off these days? :mad: That really pi$$es me off. I am tired of always changing email address', and I thought that Yahoo! would not follow the rip-off schemes of Hotmail etc.

I really hope that this site does not become a pay-site! If so, then they'd better have some "interesting" pix etc ... :confused: :confused:

... but then I would have taken-off seeking a different destination :( :( :(

FL310
29th Apr 2002, 10:17
this is for upgrading to the POP3 access...your web-based access remains unchanged...

fobotcso
29th Apr 2002, 11:12
I've never used their web-mail. I now have two reasons for regarding Yahoo as a no-go area.

I used to use their Free SMS Service to send text messages from my PC. Suddenly, I had to have a username and login keyword and to get both I had to give all my details including my mobile number. At that point I backed out and said "Cheerio". I saw no reason for them to know that and only concluded that I would soon receive masses of spam texts.

Vodafone's "Vizzavi" seems OK and in the message you send there is only the briefest of Nokia adverts. And they know my mobile number anyway!

Far more irritating, however, is the amount of spam e-mail I am getting from Yahoo subscribers with unidentifiable names to undisclosed repicients and the like. I'm about to put a Rule in my Outlook Express to exclude all Yahoo addresses.

I don't think I know anyone who uses Yahoo...

Blacksheep
30th Apr 2002, 05:23
Yahoo? Don't talk to me about bl**dy Yahoo! :mad:

Back in the dark ages some enterprising folk thought they could make money by creating an internet "White Pages" directory called 411.com. They offered a free website and e-mail address in exchange for personal details to profile yourself and be included in the directory. Obviously this would make you a target for advertisers but, hey - your own 20 Meg website right? Sheesh, my hard drive was a massive 80 Megs back then. 411.com was bought out by Look-Up, another directory. They tried to charge for the web-site but backed off when it was pointed out that the website was free in exchange for the right to data. So, Look-Up charges for the web space and then pay us back for the right to use the data = FREE OK? Finally, Yahoo turns up, buys out Look-Up and gives us one week's notice to migrate the HTML somewhere else. One week later the website's gone. But they still have my data. I sent them an invoice for my data and the right to use it but they haven't replied in four or five years so I reckon that maybe they don't want to pay.

Can I sue?

Remember, these guys use the Law to deal with DNS attacks by angry hackers so they must respect the Law, right? :rolleyes:

Through difficulties to the cinema

BOAC
3rd May 2002, 09:00
With the demise of POP access here, does anyone know of a freeware, simple programme that will access pre-set Internet mail accounts?