PDA

View Full Version : Telephone Menus

Val d'Isere
20th May 2013, 13:11
Just bought a new phone. Corded. Set it to 'tone' dialing.

Baptized it by phoning the Bank. Automated menu.

'Press one for balances' says the lady at the other end.

So I press button 1.

'I'm sorry', she says, 'I didn't hear that'.

Hung up, set it to pulse dialing (hey, it might be wired up incorrectly...or I might be and have my pulses and tones mixed up), tried again. Same problem.

Have I bought a duff phone, or do some types not 'do' menus? :confused:

AlpineSkier
20th May 2013, 13:35
Have had the same problem which was apparently caused by the volume being set too low: increase it and let us know if still troublesome.

BOAC
20th May 2013, 14:07
Best just not to do anything- it sometimes takes up to 3 repeats of the 'Press 1 for..." but eventually you will connect to an 'uman (of sorts)

AlpineSkier
20th May 2013, 14:34
but eventually you will connect to an 'uman (of sorts)

Not always. With the DVLA, no tone= no progress, then disconnection.

BOAC
20th May 2013, 14:45
Haven't tried that - how depressing. Must be the 'Wales' thing.:) (Maybe they haven't got any 'umans?)

Fox3WheresMyBanana
20th May 2013, 15:58
Not the Welsh; it's the Government, who haven't heard of service.

funfly
20th May 2013, 20:33
Bit like our doctor's surgery where the staff would get on much better if it wasn't for the inconvenience of the patients. :ugh:

OFSO
20th May 2013, 20:45
Bit like Ryanair where the crew would get on much better if it wasn't for the inconvenience of the passengers.

Val d'Isere
21st May 2013, 08:06
Volume set to high. Worked perfectly. Sailed through the Bank system first attempt.

Many thanks to AlpineSkier! :ok:

Now can anyone help with the state of my bank balance, please? :{

Sunnyjohn
21st May 2013, 13:13
Well - there's this Nigerian and if you send him your bank details, he'll . . .

G-CPTN
21st May 2013, 15:53
I was once told by a bus-driver that keeping to the scheduled timetable would be easier if he didn't have to keep stopping to pick up and set down passengers.

vulcanised
21st May 2013, 16:46
He couldn't use that excuse round here/

There's a bus every 12 minutes passes the end of my road, frequently a double decker. It's rare to see any passengers on them. and what I usually see would fit comfortably in a taxi.

The subsidy must cost a fortune.