PDA

View Full Version : Getting access to past correspondence held by a bank

AlpineSkier
20th May 2013, 12:16
Casn anyone tell me what rights one has when requesting the above ?

What i need is access to correspondence at least 15 years old to show that I informed a bank of my change of address and whether they replied and, if so, to what address.

Searches have thrown up lots of links to rights to see official documents/correspondence but not this type of thing. Does anyone have a link to where I can find this or have experience of it themselves ?

cockney steve
20th May 2013, 13:06
1- speak to the Branch Manager, who will, no doubt, be different to the one with whome the correspondence was conducted.

BM will be eager to show how efficient and well-run is his Domain, so it's unlikely he/she will attempt a cover-up.

If unsuccessful, try Head office...again, very few employees will attempt to censor/expurgate correspondence.....the "old" staff are disaffected, due to the apalling greed and lack of ethics and morality displayed by their Masters. The new staff just consider it a job. they know their masters don't give a fig about them, so they reciprocate in kind.

If you were to take them to Court, In the absence of any documentation, who'se testimony is a judge likely to believe?
I know where i'd put my money, (and it wouldn't be in the bank! )

Curious Pax
20th May 2013, 15:46
If you're not getting anywhere using Steve's suggestion then it may be worth citing the Data Protection Act (I'm assuming we're talking a UK bank). Not 100% sure that it would apply in your case, but may frighten them sufficiently to cooperate.

UniFoxOs
20th May 2013, 16:56
Data Protection Act applies to "data" - i.e. held on computers. Your letters, if they still even exist, most likely will not be. However you can still quote it - most people are frightened of it because they don't understand it.

perthsaint
20th May 2013, 17:21
The Data Protection Act also covers manual files e.g. correspondence files.

Most organisations don't have space to keep documents if they don't have to. 6 years is usual, maybe 8 at a push.

No harm in asking though.

ex_matelot
20th May 2013, 18:19
Is this in England? if so then my recent PPI claim spanned back 20 years and Lloyds held all records.

I reccomend looking and posting on the Consumer action group forums. There are experts there who will help.

The Consumer Forums - Page One (http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php)