PDA

View Full Version : Any Benefit To Renewing Class 1 Medical?

The500man
20th May 2013, 10:22
If only requiring class 2 privileges and under 40; is there any benefit to renewing an EASA class 1 medical close to the 60 month expiry date over renewing as a class 2 medical? The validity period for a class 2 according to the CAA medical certificate validity table is 60 months and I know already, though it isn't on that same table, that a class 1 comes with 60 months validity for class 2 privileges. Is the renewal validity period the same for both? They don't even try to make it clear.

Mark 1
21st May 2013, 09:57
There is a time limit on renewing a Class 1 before you have to go through an initial issue again. 5 years after expiry IIRC.

The cost of renewing Class 1 versus Class 2 isn't great, so it makes sense to renew the Class 1 when Class 2 privileges expire.

UV
22nd May 2013, 01:36
Def renew.
Once held, if something borderline occurs they will probably allow you to continue exercising the privileges.
If applying for an Initial (with the same problem) they may not.

Whopity
22nd May 2013, 08:50
If you don't need a Class 1 there is absolutely no point in spending any money renewing it. Once you have held a Class 1 just go to a AME and renew it when you need it. The validity periods are clearly listed on the reverse of the Medical Certificate.
Class 2 -60 months under 40 but not beyond your 42nd birthday
Class 1 -12 months to age 60 6 months for CAT over 40.

A no brainer really!

Level Attitude
22nd May 2013, 13:56
If you are currently flying on a CPL or ATPL then you would need
to apply for a PPL and surrender your CPL/ATPL (only one Licence,
per aircraft category, allowed under EASA).

Part-Med.A.030
(f) Applicants for and holders of a commercial pilot licence (CPL), a multi-crew pilot licence (MPL),
or an airline transport pilot licence (ATPL) shall hold a Class1 medical certificate

FCL.040 Exercise of the privileges of licences
The exercise of the privileges granted by a licence shall be dependent upon the validity of the
ratings contained therein, if applicable, and of the medical certificate

PPL privileges are "granted" by virtue of holding a CPL or ATPL, but
CPLs and ATPLs are not valid unless a Class 1 Medical is held.

CAP804 Section 4 Part N p1
2 Privileges
In order to exercise the privileges of any licence, a pilot must hold a valid medical
certificate for the licence held.

Whopity
22nd May 2013, 16:26
Where do you get this stuff from? A CPL or ATPL include the privileges of a PPL. The medical required must match the privileges you are exercising
Part-Med.A.030 and FCL.040 are EU Law and say exactly that

CAP804 Section 4 Part N p1
2 Privilege is not law, and could not under any circumstances alter the Part FCL references.

Level Attitude
22nd May 2013, 17:04
Where do you get this stuff from?
Since you quoted my quotes back at me I thought that was obvious
A CPL or ATPL include the privileges of a PPL
Only if the CPL or ATPL is valid (otherwise no privileges exist at all)
The medical required must match the privileges you are exercising
Part-Med.A.030 and FCL.040 are EU Law and say exactly that

NO THEY DON'T - Read the quotes again.
Part-Med.A.030 says what medical is required to hold a Licence.
FCL.040 says that a medical must be valid (not what class of medical)

UV
23rd May 2013, 01:34
This says that after 30 September you must hold a Class 1 Medical to fly privately on a CPL or ATPL.

See under "What does this mean for me".

Flying Aeroplanes on a Medical Declaration | CAA Newsroom | About the CAA (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=14&pagetype=90&pageid=14743)

OpenCirrus619
23rd May 2013, 06:24
If you are currently flying on a CPL or ATPL then you would need to apply for a PPL and surrender your CPL/ATPL (only one Licence, per aircraft category, allowed under EASA).

I would agree ... BUT the EASA licence I have (as far as I can see) is BOTH a CPL and PPL - see the top left hand corner of this: http://www.check-flight.com/picture_library/easa%20cpl.JPG.

I'm currently flying, using a licence similar to the one above, on a Class II.

If I've got it wrong then I'm sure there are many others who also have.

OC619

The500man
23rd May 2013, 09:14
I've decided to renew the class 1. The price difference isn't significant and a few people have suggested to me that the CAA are potentially more helpful if you hold a class 1.

Fortunately I don't yet have to worry about whether a CPL/ATPL remains valid with class 2 privileges when the class 1 privileges expire, but I do think they could make it all a lot clearer. You shouldn't be expected to have a law degree just to be a pilot!

peterh337
23rd May 2013, 13:35
There is a slightly obscure scenario where holding a Class 1 will give you protection from certain things which could strip you of privileges if you hold only a Class 2. One example is having an IR, and losing a bit of your hearing.

It is theoretical but in this game you need to keep all the horses running especially if it doesn't cost much more.

Force For Good
24th Nov 2013, 22:20
I'm in the same situation. I don't need a Class 1 but was initially awarded one. The Class 2 privileges are soon to expire and I intend to go for a full Class 1 renewal. My thoughts being - what has been said above, along with the thought that perhaps renewing a Class 1 within the 60 month period will save from the eventual cost of having a brand new Class 1 Initial when I do want it back.

If the difference in cost is not significant then this seems to make a lot of sense.

The Validity Table is here for others to refer to (finding CAA documentation consumes hours of my life).

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5495/11037665636_3c21b81a49_o.jpg

Jumbo Driver
25th Nov 2013, 13:32
If you are currently flying on a CPL or ATPL then you would need to apply for a PPL and surrender your CPL/ATPL (only one Licence, per aircraft category, allowed under EASA).

Level Attitude, with the greatest respect, I believe that this is rubbish.

If you hold an ATPL (I do), then you will know that it includes the privileges of both a CPL and a PPL. To exercise the full privileges of the ATPL you need to hold a Class 1 medical. If you only hold a Class 2 medical, this is totally effective for exercising the PPL privileges within that ATPL. You might as well say that if, at any time, you cease to hold a valid medical, you then have to surrender your licence, whatever type it is. This is clearly not so.

Should you need any further evidence, please read the paragraph IX Validity in the licence, which includes the following wording:

"The privileges of the licence shall be exercised only if the holder has a valid medical certificate for the required privilege."

JD
:)