PDA

View Full Version : Family/Dog Friendly Lunch Destinations

Heliplane
20th May 2013, 09:52
I am very fortunate for my wife's (recent) enthusiastic support of loading the family into our plane (her, me, two boys in car seats (5 and 3) and a Cocker Spaniel) for day trips and am keen to explore other suitable destinations. We put the kids' balance bikes into the luggage compartment, as well as a small umbrella buggy, and like to try to walk from the airfield to wherever we are going (although short cab rides are fine too).

Within the last few weeks, we've been to Le Touquet (minus the dog), the Dabbling Duck at Great Massingham (I've been to this gem many times before but it was really fantastic for the family - welcoming to dogs and had a great climbing frame in the garden) and Bembridge (the walk into town wasn't easy with the kids/dog, nor did we choose the best place to eat, but they liked the beach nonetheless).

Can anyone recommend other suitable destinations, generally fitting the following criteria:

- Airfield within 120 miles of London. Slight preference for hard runways unless the grass is in good condition. Alternatively, locations accessible by helicopter are OK (ideally within about 50 miles of Denham).

- Good restaurant (and possibly other attractions) within a 15-20 minute walk from the airfield (or a short taxi ride away). Ideally not just an airport cafe.

- Welcoming to young children (dogs are an added bonus but not strictly necessary).

- The Dabbling Duck at Great Massingham is as close our perfect destination as we can imagine.

Thanks in advance!

ChampChump
20th May 2013, 10:46
Clacton & Cromer airfields are within easy reach of the coast, walking or otherwise. There's good walking/biking at the former, suitable for youngsters and more than the stereotypical bucket and spade attractions in the area.

Cromer has its crab and lobster reputation and the children might like looking round the lifeboat station at the end of the rather short pier.

I don't know what length of runway you're happy with and both are grass, as is Maypole which is a short step from a good pub, dog friendly, & lunch.

Others will be along with more ideas soon...

stevelup
20th May 2013, 12:30
Oaksey Park (EGTW)

Superb 800M grass runway. Wheatsheaf Inn is a 20 minute walk away in Oaksey Village which is a Dog + Kid friendly gastropub.

Zulu Alpha
20th May 2013, 12:43
Fenland is nice with tasty home cooked food. A lot better than the average airfield cafe. Not gourmet pub standard. There isn't much there for the children though.

Cromer is nice as you can get a taxi into town and have a day on the beach which is good fun.

Muckburgh is interesting as there is the tank museum which will interest children. the cafe is clean and OK but not inspiring

Guernsey is very nice with very cheap hire cars which will take you to a range of great restaurants.

Dieppe is good, you will need a taxi into town but around the harbour there are loads of lovely seafood restaurants.

kesikun
21st May 2013, 16:38
Kemble (Cotswold Airport)

Good food + very dog friendly :-)

snchater
21st May 2013, 17:56
''Dieppe is good, you will need a taxi into town but around the harbour there are loads of lovely seafood restaurants''

Dieppe has always been a favourite of mine but be aware that Customs are no longer available so it is no longer possible to fly direct from the UK.

G-BHIB

Heliplane
24th May 2013, 10:24
Thank you for your suggestions. There are a few that will definitely make it onto the list.

Morris542
24th May 2013, 14:34
A Robin arrived at Headcorn the other day with a dog onboard. Plenty to do nearby and at the airfield.

Earls Colne has Marks Hall Estate very close by with plenty of walks to wear the dogs and children out.