PDA

View Full Version : Perth Info

haughtney1
19th May 2013, 11:19
What's the deal with the traffic holding notam into Perth? I've seen the same notam, but then an exemption for longhaul flights going to MEL, BNE and SYD...but none seen at PER, anyone know the reason why?

Second, not strictly airline related, but what the hey...(I'm sure the mods will move this if required)
Any WA locals know any good family (wife + 2 kids under 6) friendly B & B's within about 30 min drive of YPPH?

Thanks in advance...btw PER needs more runways...(more aviation content)

Pavement
19th May 2013, 11:30
The holding exemptions were originally for pacific flights in to Sydney. They were extended for the Middle East and Africa to the East Coast basically because they are ultra long haul. Perth doesnt really have any ultra long haul as the Middle East is only 10-12 hours.
Good luck finding reasonably priced anything in Perth.

onetrack
19th May 2013, 11:33
Haughtney, a little more info on what type of surroundings you prefer (city central, suburban, or semi-rural) would assist.
Trip Advisor has a modest list with feedback - the one in East Perth (Casa La Rosa) is well-recommended, is very central and has easy access from the airport.
There's also an excellent Italian restaurant at the nearby Baileys Hotel/Motel. This restaurant is open to the public for lunch and dinner.

If you prefer a coastal position, I can recommend a couple in Fremantle that are very good, and cheaper than Perth.
Accommodation is very tight in Perth - hotel occupancy rates are regularly over 80%, which is a dream for most hotel owners.

Perth Bed and Breakfast: Reviews of 14 B&Bs ? TripAdvisor (http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotels-g255103-c2-Perth_Western_Australia-Hotels.html)

haughtney1
19th May 2013, 11:45
Thanks Pavement, makes sense I guess...with no alternates required etc :8

Onetrack, we are pretty relaxed to be honest, prefer not to be in the CBD as it will be with the kids and designed to break up the DXB-AKL trek for a couple of days.
Freemantle would be nice, but rural is ok as well...the key thing is that stuff to do is relatively easy to get too via rental car.
I like Perth and spend a bit of time there with work, so it would be nice to have Wifey have a look and let the kids run around a bit as well.
Basically anywhere half decent..with a nice manager who's surname isn't Bates..or is part of a Booozy pub etc.

onetrack
19th May 2013, 11:51
O.K., try this one on Wotif - Falls Retreat B&B at Lesmurdie, up in the Darling Range just 12km from the airport. Somewhat semi-rural, nice gentrified area, easy access by car, no parking problems - but any shopping or food places are a few kms away, to Kalamunda or Forrestfield.
You can might even be able to watch a regular number of your Pprune mates, slipping in on the glide path into YPPH. :)

Perth B&B - Wotif.com (http://www.wotif.com/hotels/australia-perth-bed-and-breakfast.html)

haughtney1
19th May 2013, 11:58
Thanks Onetrack, gives me a great starting point:ok:

onetrack
19th May 2013, 12:13
Here's a couple of nice B&B's near Fremantle. If you widen your search to apartments/houses on this site, there's well over 200 properties that are usually run by individuals or families, and they're mostly quite good.
Naturally, the apartments/houses/cottages don't supply breakfast - but it's not hard to find cheap breakfasts around Fremantle.

Fremantle has the problem of having to drive through a lot of suburbs from the airport to reach it - and traffic congestion in Perth isn't getting any better.
However, Fremantle and surrounds is as lovely a spot you'll find anywhere, particularly if you head towards Port Beach/Leighton Beach, and Cottesloe/Swanbourne Beaches.

Fremantle Bed & Breakfast Accommodation, B&B Holiday Rentals - Stayz (http://www.stayz.com.au/bedandbreakfast-accommodation/wa/perth/fremantle)

In the following list of Fremantle Apartments/Cottages, Cantonment Cottage is one I've had recent experience with. A mate from Newcastle stayed here recently and both he and I were very impressed with Cantonment Cottage.
It's right in the centre of Fremantle (Cantonment St) - it's a fully renovated, very spacious cottage (2 storeys) - it has off-street parking, and you're right next to all the good food, entertainment, and sights you could wish to see anywhere.
The pics do not do the place justice - it's vastly better than it appears - and he picked up a deal for around $150 a night.

Fremantle Holiday Accommodation (http://www.fremantleaccommodation.com.au/l2/fremantle-cottages/)

Capn Bloggs
19th May 2013, 13:45
What's the deal with the traffic holding notam into Perth? I've seen the same notam, but then an exemption for longhaul flights going to MEL, BNE and SYD...but none seen at PER, anyone know the reason why?

ERSA (Remarks 3) says:
It is acknowledged that flights direct to Perth with flight times in excess of 8 hours may not be carrying these Airborne T raffic Delays.
This text appears to have been forgotten with the issuing of the NOTAM (which doesn't mention the ERSA entry anyway...).

ollie_a
19th May 2013, 13:50
Be aware there is also no holding exemption into YSSY for flights from the Middle East, only from Africa or west coast North America.

Captain Nomad
20th May 2013, 05:26
Further to the traffic holding fuel requirements at Perth, if you have a look at Jandakot there are three documented requirements and none of them agree! ERSA, NOTAM and Jepp Apt Directory all state something different...

airdualbleedfault
20th May 2013, 11:05
Haughty, perth doesn't need more runways, it just needs to use the ones it has. Only airport in the world I've operated into that doesn't utilise all of its runways ( 24 only used for departures, 06 for arrivals, in extreme weather)
I'm reliably informed this is due to the fact everybody in Perth is entitled to an equal amount of aircraft noise, but some people are more equal than others.

tomcat264
22nd May 2013, 02:10
I agree & some local govt ****** in Belmont always makes a big fuss when acft use 24 tkof & complains when acft do EGR. There was a huge outrage when ASA changed the 21 departure route over the northern suburbs.

tomcat264
12th Oct 2013, 09:46
Have you considered there maybe a valid reason RWY 24 was not used as much as RWY21.
RWY 24 is now closed for a pavement overlay

randa
12th Oct 2013, 10:52
Have you considered there maybe a valid reason RWY 24 was not used as much as RWY21.
RWY 24 is now closed for a pavement overlay

Completely irrelevant to the topic of the discussion.

avconnection
13th Oct 2013, 14:12
24/06 is only used sparingly for political reasons. What Perth really needs is a government with the balls to move Pearce to open up the airspace. There's no reason the Singaporeans can't be trained at Curtin or Learmonth. Even if it had 8 runways, there'd be no where to space them once they're airborne.