PDA

View Full Version : Advice in Uk

jethrolx
19th May 2013, 07:07
Hi ppruners,

I just wondered if I could get some advice from the experienced guys n gals in this forum. I was on my way to obtaining my CPL in Australia, and have approx 180 hrs and all theory credits when I had to abandon my dreams of becoming a professional pilot due to family commitments/financial restrictions. Now I am beginning to wonder whether my decision may have been a little hasty...
I know I wont be able to do much for the next year or so due to my current financial situation, but I would appreciate some advice on the UK syllabus and also potential airline opportunities as I have never explored them before now.
Given my current experience, could I study for my uk cpl and atpl theory credits without having to do a whole bunch of hours flying time? As this could see me though for a while, then start flying again.
Can anyone recommend a good school I the North of England? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Are there any airline program's for people with similar experience levels as me, I know qantas link have a program to take cpl pilots and train them to cir rati g and type rating.
Cheers!

Curtis E Carr
19th May 2013, 08:52
Do you have an ICAO PPL?

jethrolx
19th May 2013, 10:24
You will have to forgive me, it's been a couple of years now but if memory serves the icao is the one issued by casa, in which case yes and I think it may even still be valid. My class 1 medical will have lapsed though

Curtis E Carr
19th May 2013, 13:43
Given my current experience, could I study for my uk cpl and atpl theory credits without having to do a whole bunch of hours flying time?

From Appendix III to Annex A to Commission Regulation (EU) No 1178/2011:

E. CPL modular course — Aeroplanes

GENERAL

1. The aim of the CPL(A) modular course is to train PPL(A) holders to the level of proficiency necessary for the issue of a CPL(A).

2. Before commencing a CPL(A) modular course an applicant shall be the holder of a PPL(A) issued in accordance with Annex 1 to the Chicago Convention.

3. Before commencing the flight training the applicant shall:

(a) have completed 150 hours flight time;

(b) have complied with the prerequisites for the issue of a class or type rating for multi-engine aeroplanes in accordance with Subpart H, if a multi-engine aeroplane is to be used on the skill test.

4. An applicant wishing to undertake a modular CPL(A) course shall complete all the flight instructional stages in one continuous course of training as arranged by an ATO. The theoretical knowledge instruction may be given at an ATO conducting theoretical knowledge instruction only. The course shall comprise:

(a) theoretical knowledge instruction to CPL(A) knowledge level; and

(b) visual and instrument flying training.

THEORETICAL KNOWLEDGE

6. An approved CPL(A) theoretical knowledge course shall comprise at least 250 hours of instruction.

THEORETICAL KNOWLEDGE EXAMINATION

7. An applicant shall demonstrate a level of knowledge appropriate to the privileges granted to the holder of a CPL(A).

FLYING TRAINING

8. Applicants without an IR shall be given at least 25 hours dual flight instruction, including 10 hours of instrument instruction of which up to 5 hours may be instrument ground time in a BITD, an FNPT I or II, an FTD 2 or an FFS.

9. Applicants holding a valid IR(A) shall be fully credited towards the dual instrument instruction time. Applicants holding a valid IR(H) shall be credited up to 5 hours of the dual instrument instruction time, in which case at least 5 hours dual instrument instruction time shall be given in an aeroplane. An applicant holding a Course Completion Certificate for the Basic Instrument Flight Module shall be credited with up to 10 hours towards the required instrument instruction time.

10. (a) Applicants with a valid IR shall be given at least 15 hours dual visual flight instruction.

(b) Applicants without a night rating aeroplane shall be given additionally at least 5 hours night flight instruction, comprising 3 hours of dual instruction, which shall include at least 1 hour of cross-country navigation and 5 solo take-offs and 5 solo full stop landings.

11. At least 5 hours of the flight instruction shall be carried out in an aeroplane certificated for the carriage of at least 4 persons and have a variable pitch propeller and retractable landing gear.

EXPERIENCE

12. The applicant for a CPL(A) shall have completed at least 200 hours flight time, including at least:

(a) 100 hours as PIC, of which 20 hours of cross-country flight as PIC, which shall include a VFR cross-country flight of at least 540 km (300 NM), in the course of which full stop landings at two aerodromes different from the aerodrome of departure shall be made;

(b) 5 hours of flight time shall be completed at night, comprising 3 hours of dual instruction, which shall include at least 1 hour of cross-country navigation and 5 solo take-offs and 5 solo full stop landings; and

(c) 10 hours of instrument flight instruction, of which up to 5 hours may be instrument ground time in an FNPT I, or FNPT II or FFS. An applicant holding a course completion certificate for the Basic Instrument Flight Module shall be credited with up to 10 hours towards the required instrument instruction time. Hours done in a BITD shall not be credited;

(d) 6 hours of flight time shall be completed in a multi-engine aeroplane.

(e) Hours as PIC of other categories of aircraft may count towards the 200 hours flight time, in the following cases:

(i) 30 hours in helicopter, if the applicant holds a PPL(H); or

(ii) 100 hours in helicopters, if the applicant holds a CPL(H); or

(iii) 30 hours in TMGs or sailplanes; or

(iv) 30 hours in airships, if the applicant holds a PPL(As); or

(v) 60 hours in airships, if the applicant holds a CPL(As).

SKILL TEST

13. Upon completion of the flying training and relevant experience requirements the applicant shall take the CPL(A) skill test on either a single-engine or a multi-engine aeroplane.

As you already the holder of an ICAO PPL, you may commence the modular training course.

jethrolx
19th May 2013, 18:23
Thankyou for your detailed response. So if I read that right, I can start the theory but it MUST be through an ATO and it takes 250 hours? I did most of mine via self study, and it was broken down into separate exams for each subject. Is this one exam on everything?

Curtis E Carr
19th May 2013, 19:21
From Commission Regulation (EU) No 1178/2011:

FCL.310 CPL — Theoretical knowledge examinations

An applicant for a CPL shall demonstrate a level of knowledge appropriate to the privileges granted in the following subjects:

— Air Law,
— Aircraft General Knowledge — Airframe/Systems/Powerplant,
— Aircraft General Knowledge — Instrumentation,
— Mass and Balance,
— Performance,
— Flight Planning and Monitoring,
— Human Performance,
— Meteorology,
— General Navigation,
— Radio Navigation,
— Operational Procedures,
— Principles of Flight,
— Visual Flight Rules (VFR) Communications

These are separate papers.

Be aware, however, that obtaining passes in the CPL subjects listed above will not be sufficient to fulfil the requirements for obtaining an instrument rating nor an ATPL. If you have ambitions towards the airlines, you will require ATPL and IR theoretical knowledge, the requirements of which can be seen at FCL.515 and FCL.615 respectively. (http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2011:311:0001:0193:EN:PDF)

jethrolx
19th May 2013, 20:50
Once again, thank you for your detailed post. If I had to guess I'd say you were a chief pilot, you remind me of the one at my old flying school! It is now all coming flooding back to me why I hung up my cap... Time, energy and resources that I don't have enough of. Thanks for your help