PDA

View Full Version : Cessna Caravan EX

Piano Man
18th May 2013, 23:13
Now as people know I am a big fan of the Cessna Caravan, especially on floats, so with the Caravan EX now being offered with an enlarged PT6 (860 odd SHP; up from 675), it has got me wondering how this upgrade will go within Australian GA. It's a shame that the bigger motor will not be (initially) available with short body 'van, as on the water the extra power would always be welcome, however does the Australian market see a place for the Caravan EX, or will the standard Grand Caravan still be sufficient?

aussieflyboy
18th May 2013, 23:33
If it gives an increase in MTOW then yes, otherwise no. Most GA caravan owners won't fix the TCAS or WX radar units in VFR caravans let alone paying for an engine upgrade.

MakeItHappenCaptain
19th May 2013, 01:23
I'm hearing it's not recognised in conjunction with the British Certification, which is the only way they get the additional seating allowance.

Big Dramas.:confused:

For someone doing meat bombs, not a problem. there was a Blackhawk conversion at a Californian dropzone that the operators were more than happy with and sure there are a couple of Texas Turbine mods doing the same in enzud.:ok:

Ps, the 900hp TT mod (Garrett) was shown on a popular youtube clip against a standard baby van, both on floats.

Ejector
19th May 2013, 01:43
Got that youtube link?

Horatio Leafblower
19th May 2013, 02:36
The Cessna site for the EX offers a 14-seat interior option...

Wally Mk2
19th May 2013, 03:06
Ejector just type in 900shp Texas Turbine Super 900...it's there 4 all 2 c:-)
Great hill billy music:ok:

Wmk2

Oakape
19th May 2013, 03:41
Nice! :ok:

JekiJock
21st May 2013, 16:18
Just got all the info from Cessna. My old man might be buying one. The MTOW is a tad over 8800 so not really much of an increase. Cruise speed realistically is about 14 knots quicker than the standard grand van with about 70 lbs and hour extra fuel burn at that speed. So speed and performance is the biggest change. ROC increases to about 1250fpm. I'm still trying to find out if it can be fitted with the APE kits or its not really worth it. I was hoping for a much bigger MTOW increase.

Ejector
21st May 2013, 16:48
"Now as people know I am a big fan of the Cessna Caravan, especially on floats."

Really ??? The C208 is a mungral pig ground hog on the water. Go putt putt around in some STOL floats like a Twotter in Shaga-stan and you will never look back.

Piano Man
21st May 2013, 23:23
Ejector, they aren't that bad. I heard a few stories about them being pigs before I started flying them, can safely say I haven't had any issues. Now a straight float beaver would demolish a van, but an Amphib beaver makes you appreciate anything...