PDA

View Full Version : Asteroid Drive by on 31st May

racedo
18th May 2013, 18:41
Dark, massive asteroid to fly by Earth on May 31 - latimes.com (http://www.latimes.com/news/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-asteroid-1998-qe2-20130516,0,548201.story)

Thank god they never have the idea of stopping..........

OFSO
18th May 2013, 18:56
This 'drive by'. Would there be a shooting involved ? Or will they stop off and buy some shakes and a big mac ? Or maybe get some of us beamed up ?

racedo
18th May 2013, 19:33
You never know with these Asteroids...........mind you if they land in LA nobody will know they are weirdos.

DX Wombat
18th May 2013, 19:34
I shall be busy that day helping with RAYNET to provide communications for the incredible Oxfam Trailtrekker Event. (http://www.oxfam.org.uk/trailtrekker)

bluecode
18th May 2013, 19:38
You know the whole asteroid thing is a bit of a lottery. If a big one ever gets itself lined up properly we are in for a hell of a ride. If that time ever comes I'll be sitting out saluting it with a couple of bottles of the finest wine I can obtain locally. Which should be easy as I'm sure the owner won't be too bothered about accepting payment.

LordGrumpy
19th May 2013, 00:27
Will it rattle our tea cups and cause drinks to topple?

lomapaseo
19th May 2013, 02:34
If it travels close enough will its gravitation field suck me off?

Krystal n chips
19th May 2013, 07:03
" This is a really big asteroid, similar in size to the one that killed off the dinosaurs, and it's getting very close to us," she said. "Fortunately we've been tracking its orbit very carefully so we know with great certainty it won't hit us"

:hmm: Whilst I am sure the lady concerned has got her maths right, it's just that, whenever you hear those ( in)famous words " with great certainty" emanating from whatever source of expertise, you tend to get a shade concerned.....after all, it's not as if we can expect the next press release to say " we made a slight anomaly with our calculations, but lessons will be learned for the future" now can we.....if said lump elects to divert from track as it were.

There again, any bits landing on Leeds or Birmingham could be viewed as a positive result........:p

Deepest Norfolk
19th May 2013, 07:53
Know what you mean. They were "certain" that Titanic was unsinkable!!

DN

P6 Driver
19th May 2013, 08:44
There again, any bits landing on Leeds or Birmingham could be viewed as a positive result........:p

Many other locations are available with the same outcome!

crippen
19th May 2013, 09:49
Any photo's yet??? Could be 'them' arriving at last! I suppose they will put their landing lights on as they get closer. :{

Cyber Bob
19th May 2013, 10:22
Fear Not - only a phone call away

http://s3.amazonaws.com/auteurs_production/images/film/armageddon/w448/armageddon.jpg?1339791481

Msunduzi
19th May 2013, 10:44
.....................I shall be busy that day helping with RAYNET to provide communications for the incredible Oxfam Trailtrekker Event........................

I guess you have a callsign? Not many on here it seems :)

DX Wombat
19th May 2013, 11:29
Msunduzi I do indeed have my own callsign but will be using the one allocated to whichever checkpoint I'm at on the day. 2E0WOM

Hobo
19th May 2013, 15:01
And will there be a mighty wind Brother Enim....

vulcanised
19th May 2013, 15:18
A couple of days ago I saw a Sky News headline along the lines of 'Massive Asteroid Rocks the Moon'.

Didn't bother to read it, and when I returned later it had gone. Another Sky exclusive? http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gif

Brian Abraham
20th May 2013, 01:20
'Massive Asteroid Rocks the MoonThat'll be this one - not quite up to Asteroid size but.

Moon rocked by biggest meteorite explosion on record (http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2013/05/19/meteor-strike-moon/2324859/)

arcniz
20th May 2013, 05:50
Statistical analysis of the frequency of news releases about killer asteroids, near misses, etc will show that a very large proportion of all press reports about exciting near-miss events comes in the second-quarter of the calendar year.

Points of origin are typically from places where sizeable groups of people are paid, from public funds, to work on projects that have some connection with asteroids, space launching, etc. Pasadena, Ca and McLean, Va are the two named loci for the stories cited here.

It's all about USA Federal Budget appropriations -- the plan for which is put into final form during 2Q and argued in the political forum mostly from June thru Aug. for monies that will be disbursed in the next fiscal year, beginning Oct1.

Whole thing lies somewhere between enlightened self interest and illegal lobbying -- and grows more intense as the money bucket shrinks.

:ugh:

bluecode
20th May 2013, 09:33
Yes that's a very good point, Arcniz. But if there's one certainty in this world, it's that one of those big ones will hit us at some point. Not to mention a couple of the little ones. In fact it's already happened several times. It's money far better spent than on searching the galaxies for non existent alien life forms or sending someone to Mars just because it's there.

Captain Dart
20th May 2013, 10:03
Agreed. If only the money frittered away by humanity on religion and other nonsense was spent on planetary defence...

I don't begrudge what's spent on exploring and understanding our universe, however. And as a pilot, I prefer to have an 'alternate'. In the case of a threat from space, Mars is about the only viable option.

bluecode
20th May 2013, 10:16
Maybe but even a post asteroid hit Earth would be more habitable than Mars.

crisso
20th May 2013, 13:11
Would there be a shooting involved ? Well, the Asteroid has been described as Dark....:E

er340790
20th May 2013, 17:07
Well I'm BORED!!!

To be quite honest, it is high time for another Mega-Tsunami, Supervolcano or Asteroid impact to wipe out a few million of you lot and give the rest of us something to oggle on CNN for a few days before we drift back into our usual existences.

Mother Nature needs to LIVEN THINGS UP A BIT!!! :E