PDA

View Full Version : World Wide Weather Round-up

OFSO
18th May 2013, 14:44
I've given in, surrendered, submitted.......just lit the pilot and turned the central heating on again.

Will it ever get warm this year ?

Capetonian
18th May 2013, 14:44
Just about to light the fire!

tony draper
18th May 2013, 14:55
The weather hereabouts is best described as shite.:(

hellsbrink
18th May 2013, 15:16
Not any better here, it may be 16C but it don't feel like it and someone stole that great yellow orb we saw earlier.

PingDit
18th May 2013, 15:32
You're talking about that 'Sun' thing aren't you? I've heard of that!
Can't remember ever turning our heating off! :(

G&T ice n slice
18th May 2013, 15:42
The weather hereabouts is best described as shite

Well, on our side of the Pennines, here in West Cumbria, it's LOVELY, the sun is shining and the sky is blue, blue, blue and it's just that right temperature for a lovely walk along the lake with the dog, and the birds are singing and making their nests, and the bluebells are out and it's so

and then I woke up :{

hellsbrink
18th May 2013, 15:46
There's a strange light in the sky, shining through the clouds. I guess it must be another alien attack........

Fox3WheresMyBanana
18th May 2013, 15:50
20 degrees three days ago, now there's snow again (not sticking though).

My neighbour just grumbled about his outerwear "Should have worn my woodstove"

AtomKraft
18th May 2013, 16:03
Fire on all day today.

Coldest Jan to present day that I can ever remember. Must be the global warming taking hold.....:rolleyes:

toffeez
18th May 2013, 16:14
27 deg C in Kiev today, and it brought the Great Tits out.

wiggy
18th May 2013, 16:18
It's been no better in South West France. It should be wet at this time of year but certainly not this cold, 14-16C max day in, day out is not normal. Central Heating still on and the wood burner is going again.......

Blues&twos
18th May 2013, 16:57
I wouldn't say that, Goudie. I think he's alright.

B Fraser
18th May 2013, 17:09
A lovely hot day here in Somerset, blue skies, picnic in the garden, kids in the pool and Helston pasties from The Horse and Jockey for dinner.

:hmm:

Krystal n chips
18th May 2013, 17:21
At the beginning of the month, one actually got sunburnt in glorious Wales.

On Thursday, one again got warm, but not to the same degree.

One notes that the merchant navy uses the same term as in aviation to describe the current met.conditions. :p

Juud
18th May 2013, 17:45
As usual for May in this part of Norway, the wx is glorious.
Were about to have dinner outside.
Again.

As usual for this part of Norway the past ten years or so, June and July and August will probably be wet and cold and utterly miserable.

We are making the most of May :)

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x372/Juud81/photo5_zpsc6f7a62c.jpg (http://s1178.photobucket.com/user/Juud81/media/photo5_zpsc6f7a62c.jpg.html)

OFSO
18th May 2013, 18:58
Just seen TV-3 news, snow chains mandatory for driving up to Andorra after fresh falls today. Yup, that ol' global warming again !

spInY nORmAn
18th May 2013, 20:20
Here at 62 degrees N we're at 18C (64F). Nice and sunny :)

tony draper
18th May 2013, 20:59
I would like to see one more good summer like the one 1976 before I go for my dirt nap,dunno why, I did nowt but complain about the heat.:(

Bob Lenahan
18th May 2013, 22:41
38* here in Central MX. Or Western MX. I've always been a bit confused about how they come up with their directions. Anyhow, it is HOT. Probably get hotter til the rains start- maybe in June. Depends on who you ask. By the way, what's that in real temp- 90 or something? Makes me weak. Bad.
Bob.

Dushan
18th May 2013, 22:45
You can complain to this address:
[email protected]

Tankertrashnav
18th May 2013, 22:55
Dushan - Surely you know that they keep telling us, just because we're all freezing our nuts off it doesn't mean the earth's not warming.

It's just a different type of warming!

:*

Dushan
18th May 2013, 23:06
Yes, Bizzaro Warming.

Solid Rust Twotter
19th May 2013, 05:12
Cold here. Drops to 10C or lower at night, with daytime temps in the high teens or low 20s. Bright sunshine with few clouds.

Flap 5
19th May 2013, 07:59
Apparently all that warming is going in to the sea. Lots of water out there and we all know it takes a lot more energy to heat up water than air. That's probably why Norway seems to be warmer - with the gulf stream.

Exascot
19th May 2013, 08:11
Anything below 25 these days and I freeze to death. Moved from 35 in Bots to 20 here in Greece a few weeks ago. 27 today so happy :cool:

Don't think I could cope with a UK winter again or your politicians!

Little cloud
19th May 2013, 08:30
That's probably why Norway seems to be warmer - with the gulf stream.

Flap 5, it appears to be a weather effect at the moment, sea temps around SW Norway are only around 7C, but Bergen is at 22C already today with a foehn wind coming down from the mountains. Also around 18 hours of daylight each day now so lots of ground heating as well. There's a big anticyclone over Finland/Russia feeding warm air westwards.

B Fraser
19th May 2013, 09:06
It's quite pleasant over in the west of England this morning, another t-shirt and shorts day but not as warm as yesterday.

It must be a sign of climate change. Let's face it, whenever anything happens the lentil knitters declare that it is proof that they are right and anyone who disagrees is a deniallist. What a bunch of twots. Do they think we didn't notice that "global warming" was replaced by "climate change" as soon as the warming didn't happen ?

Flap 5
19th May 2013, 11:11
Do they think we didn't notice that "global warming" was replaced by "climate change" as soon as the warming didn't happen ?

The slight warming has happened. A lot of it has gone into the oceans, and it takes a lot more energy to heat up water than air. It is more accurately called climate change because the extra energy is resulting in more atmospheric instability rather than just warmer weather. The Earth is very good at soaking up the extra energy and will be for the future as well. This hysteria about climate change is mainly just that - hysteria.

Flap 5
19th May 2013, 11:17
Flap 5, it appears to be a weather effect at the moment, sea temps around SW Norway are only around 7C, but Bergen is at 22C already today with a foehn wind coming down from the mountains. Also around 18 hours of daylight each day now so lots of ground heating as well. There's a big anticyclone over Finland/Russia feeding warm air westwards.

Just a local effect then, like most of these weather phenomena.

rgbrock1
20th May 2013, 12:37
OFSO wrote:

Will it ever get warm this year ?the Mrs. and I have been asking each other the same question for months. Here in the Northeast region of the U.S. we have 20 May and yesterday the heat kicked on several times throughout the day due to the fact that the temperatures never got out of the mid-50's F. So far we've had a couple of warm days but the majority have been on the chilly side. Last week, for example, we had frost advisories for 3 nights running as the temps dipped down to around freezing at night.

this time last year we had already gone a couple of times to the "beach" on the lake we live on. Not even close this year.

Where's Al Gore? I want to kick his Big Fat Ass.

Flash2001
20th May 2013, 22:15
Anyone seen the weather down Con-pilot's way?

TV folks are sayin' "The most destructive tornado in the history of the world"

Flash

Windy Militant
20th May 2013, 22:42
Just heard it's cut a swath two miles wide! No official word of casualties but two schools have been flattened. That's a hell of a twister, hopefully miracles do happen and no one got killed, but I fear the worst. They have my thoughts tonight.

jumpseater
20th May 2013, 22:47
My Bro lives in the mid-west last night he rang at 0100 our time to tell he was ok, we thought 'odd', then he explained, one had gone past within ten miles.:ooh:

Makes you think about those less fortunate.

samusi01
20th May 2013, 23:07
Latest from Oklahoma - the OKC metro area got hit by tornadoes, seen pictures of at least one neighborhood that has been destroyed and saw video of a school earlier that got hit.

The storm fell apart just before it hit us here in Tulsa.

Yesterday one of our customers' district managers lost his home in Shawnee, which is east of OKC.

Overall, some pretty good storms but they've all missed Tulsa here.

Caboclo
20th May 2013, 23:27
The Alaskan winter is also dragging on indefinitely. I had to throw tire chains yet again on Saturday.

samusi01
20th May 2013, 23:35
Latest updates from OKC area indicate that one of the schools that was hit appears to be in search and recover mode now rather than search and rescue. An OKC area reporter just said that there are over 20 children still missing.

West Coast
21st May 2013, 00:56
I sure hope Con and his family are safe. Prayers for those who are inclined to do so.

BenThere
21st May 2013, 01:07
All the best to those in Oklahoma digging out in the aftermath of this awful storm. I can only ponder at the grief of the families losing the lives of their precious children at school on this horrible day, as well as those having their homes destroyed.

I got my college education a few miles south of Moore, OK. I know firsthand that the people of Oklahoma are the toughest, most resilient Americans there are. This tragedy tests their will once more.

To anyone in the area - please think about and post ideas as to how we can best help from afar.

CityofFlight
21st May 2013, 01:27
Con-pilot & Mrs CP...are vacationing in Ireland. I did have a brief Facebook correspondence with their house sitter and all is safe and sound in their section of OKC.

I echo BenT's comments. The news and images are just heart breaking. But the people there are just amazing, as they organize and help each other out. No looting seen at all. Just people trying to help their fellow man.

500N
21st May 2013, 02:44
I am shocked. I just saw the photos of the damage.
It looks like Darwin did on Christmas Day 1974.

Wish everyone the best that it can be and hope all PPruner's are safe.

West Coast
21st May 2013, 03:08
CoF

Thanks for the update.

ICT_SLB
21st May 2013, 03:50
I spent Sunday afternoon sheltering in the Cessna Employees Center on the edge of McConnell AFB. Thankfully there was no loss of life in the Wichita area just a lot of hail damage even though several tornadoes touched down.

The tornado in Moore is not the second but the third in recent times - the one in 1999 was on the same track as one in 1994. Latest figures (from the BBC) are 51 known fatalities including 20 children plus possibly as high as two dozen more missing. The Lt. Governor said that five schools had been hit not just Plaza Towers Elementary. They are using the Warren Theaters, a cinema multiplex, as a triage & communications center.

uffington sb
23rd May 2013, 07:11
It's 7 deg C but feels like 3 deg in Peterborough at the moment, but 18 deg in Bardufoss in northern Norway FFS!
Had to turn the heating on at work.

ricardian
23rd May 2013, 10:28
Global warming affects parts of Scotland (http://news.stv.tv/highlands-islands/226498-snow-closes-road-as-country-as-coldest-spring-in-30-years-continues/)

OFSO
23rd May 2013, 17:43
Had a half inch of hail this arvo in Islington. More impressive was how long it hung around, such are the temperatures.