PDA

View Full Version : Hay Fever

Cacophonix
18th May 2013, 11:11
Well whatever the thermometer says spring must have finally sprung because out here in suburbia I can hear the distant hum of lawnmowers and my eyes are streaming and I am engulfed by fits of incontinent sneezing...

Do other PPRuNers suffer from hay fever and are there any real cures for this curse short of suicide or moving to one of the earth's poles...?

Caco

Milo Minderbinder
18th May 2013, 11:22
Hawthorn is just coming into flower, that may be whats triggering you. Or possibly rapeseed - thats also beginning to bloom.

Prevention varies from person to person, but I find one Loratidine tablet a day usually keeps it under control, with eye drops available if things get too bad.
If the nose stays runny after that, then also use a cold/flu remedy which contains the decongestant Phenylephrine. That should stop the nose streaming, and as a result reduce the chances of a secondary bacterial infection kicking in (no fluid means nowhere for the infection to take hold).Thats not a recommended medical method, its just something that I've found over the years to work.

Note with the Loratidine its important to take it every day as effectiveness depends on building a concentration of it up in your body. Just simply taking it when you feel bad doesn't work.

tony draper
18th May 2013, 11:29
Never had hay fever in me life until about two years ago,I got in now,must have caught it off a toilet seat I reckon.
:(

vulcanised
18th May 2013, 11:32
I've had very sore eyes the last couple of weeks since the tree pollen started.

Also, never used to be a problem most years.

beaufort1
18th May 2013, 11:46
Some people swear by local honey but it must be local to alleviate pollen allergies. :8

Honey: the sweetest cure for hayfever - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/5135837/Honey-the-sweetest-cure-for-hayfever.html)

It can't do any harm.:)

Milo Minderbinder
18th May 2013, 11:49
hard to see if you stick honey in your eyes

DX Wombat
18th May 2013, 11:52
Before you take ANY medication you MUST check with your GP. Two suggestions for non-medicated treatment: a) if you do not already wear spectacles wear some sunglasses as this will put a barrier between your eyes and the allergen (if it is pollen) you may think you look daft on less sunny days but it does work and b) smear some Vaseline around your nostrils as this can help trap the pollen grains before they get into your respiratory system.

Milo: (no fluid means nowhere for the infection to take hold). Wrong! No fluid means the surfaces become dry and prone to cracking thus providing an ideal home for bugs. Fluid keeps the surfaces soft and supple, any excess is produced in an attempt to flush away the irritant.

Private jet
18th May 2013, 11:53
I had terrible Hay fever as a child, sneezing, streaming nose, sore eyes that went on and on. Had "scratch tests" done and my trigger was grass pollen which timed perfectly with school exams. I retook most of them in the November to get better grades. Then when i got to about 20 it stopped and i've not been afflicted since. The antihistamines available in those days made me drowsy, i think the modern ones are better. Some people reckon eating honey helps them, but maybe its a placebo effect. (I went right off honey when i found out that it was bee vomit anyway :eek: )

Cacophonix
18th May 2013, 11:59
Before you take ANY medication you MUST check with your GP. Two suggestions for non-medicated treatment: a) if you do not already wear spectacles wear some sunglasses as this will put a barrier between your eyes and the allergen (if it is pollen)

You make a good point about medication.

I do now have to wear reading glasses but will try the sun glasses trick as soon as that confounded orb called the sun makes an appearance in the sky.

Like others here hay fever has slowly crept up on me and is getting worse.

Caco

AlpineSkier
18th May 2013, 12:14
Caco

Since this is late-onset hay-fever, I would be interested to know how old you are ( as I am concerned that I may also be developing a small allergy ).

If you don't want to publicise this , then please PM if you wish . Ditto FSL and vulcanised

Cacophonix
18th May 2013, 12:16
Alpine

No sweat in publicising my age. I am 51 years old. :ok:

Caco

Krystal n chips
18th May 2013, 12:17
Suffered from the condition all my life....mysery at times when I was younger and made worse by the fact. that, the then standard prescribed remedy were those little yellow Piriton tablets.

H.M.Gov't kindly diagnosed the allergen for me and I still recall the :):E of the quack when he informed me that "good news, we've found your allergy source----grass ! ".....which, given the umpteen hours I spent / have spent on airfields various and cricket grounds numerous prior to this, made one think... hmmmm !

The peak period for me is July / August and 2010 was a particulary nasty year in this respect....the condition had been neglible for many years prior to this, but in 2010, as we know, the normal spring cycle was late.

Which makes me wonder about this year. I actually felt the onset of the condition a couple of weeks ago, when everything suddenly started to bloom, and blossom, thus I suspect this year maybe a repeat of 2010 for me at least.

The non prescribed Zirtek worked very well for me then, but as DX says, go and see your GP for a professional analysis and tests.

dazdaz1
18th May 2013, 15:03
Why is it that the majority of hay fever suffers are non-smokers?

Daz

moosp
18th May 2013, 16:20
I had it in UK in the seventies and went for Acupuncture when all else failed, as I couldn't fly with the drugs. Six weeks of once a week needling and I was cured for a year, then a two session top up each year kept it under control.

I left UK and only suffer if I over indulge in red wine at pollen time. Loratidine works well for me now.

It is a miserable affliction, for your partner too.

gingernut
18th May 2013, 22:03
Do your best to avoid the allergen (close your windows at night, vaseline round the nostrils, flush out eyes with water, shower when you come in etc), target the symptom (the topical stuff seems to work well), NICE have organised a new spray. Avoid KENALOG.

Ozzy
18th May 2013, 22:06
Same over here. My eyes and nose have been dripping for the past three days. I have seen pollen crap floating in the air...I was only allergic when I lived in Cambridge England. Never when I lived on the coast...bugger

Ozzy

Windy Militant
18th May 2013, 22:25
Always been mildly sensitive to certain perfumes, lint and paper dust, but as I used to spend a fair amount of my time playing or helping with hay stacks as a kid I figured I was OK regards hay fever. But a few years back when the yellow peril or oilseed rape became common I started to get symptoms.
Most medications available at the time didn't seem to work, then I found nose plugs.
I don't know if they are still available but they are little plastic frames that hold either plain or carbon filters.
I wore them for about two pollen seasons and now, I seem to have become desensitised to whatever it was that caused the streaming eyes and uncontrollable sneezing fits. Whether the plugs worked or it was purely physiological I know not, but am happy not to have to put up with the sore nose and endless soggy tissues.

brena
15th Feb 2014, 06:43
"Do other PPRuNers suffer from hay fever and are there any real cures for this curse short of suicide"

~ I think prevention there is.. and managing the symptoms of hay fever as I get it also esp during pollen season. i just take antihistamines and if my nose is clogged up I do steam, at night when i sleep I run our humidifier so i can sleep better with all the sneezing clogged nose and coughs. I dont go out specially if there is high pollen count, i change bed linens every week. I got used to these routines..

brena
15th Feb 2014, 06:46
"Do your best to avoid the allergen (close your windows at night, vaseline round the nostrils, flush out eyes with water, shower when you come in etc), target the symptom (the topical stuff seems to work well), NICE have organised a new spray. Avoid KENALOG."

gingernut I Agree with closing windows etc! but what is kenalog? don't you use vicks? vicks and steam its the best then humidifier for a sound sleep at night :)

Tu.114
15th Feb 2014, 07:32
A while ago, a desensibilisation treatment was available (I do not know if it still ist). Basically, You would go to the medicine man twice or thrice over winter (when the natural allergen is not around) for 2 or 3 years and receive an injection of whatever was found to trigger Your allergy to Your arm. First in a rather low, but later in a rising dose. Your body will react to this by showing mild allergic symptoms at best; there is a possibility of side effects up to an allergic shock. You will consequently have to hang around at the medicine mans place for a while after the injection to keep You under observation (and the shot is supposed to be given by the doc himself, not an assistant).

In theory, this will accustom Your immune system to the allergens and cause a noticeable easing of the symptoms next summer. For me, it worked rather well; while I still have minor symptoms for a week or so in summer, they are MUCH lighter than before and do no longer require medication. The efficiency of this treatment was said to be below 100% though.

Dak Man
15th Feb 2014, 18:57
I suffered for years, best defence for me is good sunglasses, a light smear of Vaseline around the eyes and nose catches most of the pollen around, I also have a fan constantly moving air away from me.

llondel
16th Feb 2014, 01:21
I also have a fan constantly moving air away from me.

Doesn't that leave you in a bit of a vacuum?

JimR
16th Feb 2014, 23:25
Start smoking! Never had any problem when I smoked. Not promoting smoking but I guess there are some pluses.
I used to find Chlor-Tripolon tablets (antihistamine) helped when I stopped smoking.

handsfree
17th Feb 2014, 07:38
My hay fever didn't start until I was about 35 and would seem to be caused by tree pollen. In my case probably willow and birch which starts to affect me about this time of year. Prompt use of loratadine dampens it down pretty effectively but as posted earlier check with your doctor or pharmacist first as it interacts with quite a range of medications.
Fortunately grass pollen doesn't cause me any grief.