PDA

View Full Version : Expect further bad delays at US airports this summer

PAXboy
18th May 2013, 03:32
Heading for the States? Prepare for the longest US immigration queues ever - News & Advice - Travel - The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/heading-for-the-states-prepare-for-the-longest-us-immigration-queues-ever-8621576.html)

The longest maximum average wait time for international arrivals at Miami airport rose last month to three hours, six minutes - a jump of almost half an hour on March. Travellers to New York JFK, and Dallas-Fort Worth risk waits exceeding two hours.

DaveReidUK
18th May 2013, 07:30
longest maximum averageIs there a statistician in the house who can explain what that means ?

Mr Mac
18th May 2013, 07:40
Take a shooting stick !!.

Mr Mac

robtheblade
18th May 2013, 11:30
Is there a statistician in the house who can explain what that mean?

Yes, there is an minimum average waiting time, a middle average waiting time and a maximum average waiting time. Bit like placing a pre order for something you have to order. :ugh::ugh::ugh:

DaveReidUK
18th May 2013, 12:17
Yes, there is an minimum average waiting time, a middle average waiting time and a maximum average waiting time.Would that be the longest maximum average waiting time or the shortest maximum average waiting time, then ? Or would it be easier just to take the average maximum average ? :*

farci
18th May 2013, 13:31
Quote:
The longest maximum average wait time for international arrivals at Miami airport rose last month to three hours, six minutes - a jump of almost half an hour on March. Travellers to New York JFK, and Dallas-Fort Worth risk waits exceeding two hours. ...so still less than LHR last summer (statistically speaking)

radeng
25th May 2013, 11:20
I arrived at PHX on May 12 from LHR. OK, being in business class, I was off the aircraft fairly quickly, but the wait was under 5 minutes. Biggest delay once I got to the desk was the lady coming round to clean the fingerprint screen. Very pleasant lady, too.

I suspect that a lot depends on the airport and the arrival time: PHX doesn't seem to have many international arrivals at around 5pm and so is quick.

PAXboy
25th May 2013, 12:26
Indeed it is time and place. The article gives Florida as being particularly badly affected. But then, it always was ... :E

glad rag
27th May 2013, 19:27
Biggest delay once I got to the desk was the lady coming round to clean the fingerprint screen.

Eh? you mean you are obliged to have biometric information stored if you wish to visit the States??

MG23
28th May 2013, 03:04
Eh? you mean you are obliged to have biometric information stored if you wish to visit the States??

For most people other than Americans and Canadians, yes.

Last time I flew to America, a few weeks ago, took about twenty seconds from reaching the US immigration section in Vancouver to being in the US departures area.

glad rag
28th May 2013, 20:16
For most people other than Americans and Canadians, yes.

Oh dear, I think I've had my last trip to the states then. :mad:

radeng
29th May 2013, 13:35
And they photograph you, too. But the latest suggestion is that you will be fingerprinted going out! Expensive and time consuming, and only of any use if people are adopting a different identity to leave. Computer comparison of passport numbers would be quicker and easier, since the passport number could be scanned at check in.