PDA

View Full Version : Uninstalling and reinstalling Office to overcome a problem.

Loose rivets
17th May 2013, 07:19
This could be tacked onto my Word thread, but I want to focus on this one very specific weirdness.

Does reloading software really clean out the old settings?

Finally I'd had enough. Of the many grumbles with Word, this one I couldn't work-around. It was one that showed up on my PC, but was fine on my laptop.

They both have the same download copy of Office.

PROBLEM:

I choose a file from Word Perfect and Save As .doc MS Word .6/.7 Fine, been doing it for years. Everyone can read it and it will fire up in Word 10 - finally with the offer of updating to that Version. Fine for months.

One day, instead of Word 2010 running the doc file, a menu pops up in the centre of the screen offering various file types. Convert file from:

Plain
Encoded
Rich
HTML
.......etc.,

Wordperfect 5
Wordperfect 6

NOWHARE IS A B:mad:DIN .doc file offered.

I take the same file and it opens on the laptop in W7 Word 2010 and Vista Word 2007 straight away.

If I convert it to a doc or docx then and there and bring it back to the PC, it runs just fine.

I then put the two exact same Word copies side by side on big screens and go through every option I can find. Same.

Finally, in hair tearing despair, I remove Office from my offending PC and reload it. Having looked for detritus like Office folders. There were none.

It made not the slightest bit of difference.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:{ My PC will not do what it did a week ago and run those files.

Bushfiva
17th May 2013, 07:48
Use a Microsoft fixit or one of the other methods mentioned below to remove everything: How to uninstall or remove Microsoft Office 2010 suites (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301)

Milo Minderbinder
17th May 2013, 14:58
I think you'll find the problem is with the file, not the program.
My guess is that somehow while saving the file you've had a brain-fart and managed to lose, or mis-type the three letter file extension.
Unhide the extensions, then rename the file correctly

ex_matelot
17th May 2013, 15:33
Just in case this will be relevant to you I will post:

During my recent Windows 8 woes I had to revert the system to factory default. When I bought the PC I bought Office 2010 in the form of a credit card thing with a pin number on it. The pin was to be scratched, entered into the MS Office website and a Product key was issued. This had all been done for me however prior to collecting the PC and the product key was written on the packaging.

When I tried to reinstall Office using the product key it would not let me - saying it was invalid etc. I tried the backup copy link..to no avail. I had to resort to Microsoft live chat where I gave my product key details. They confirmed it was valid and then posted me a direct download link which then worked.

The hardest part of it was actually finding the Microsoft live chat link.

Loose rivets
17th May 2013, 16:42
Yep, I've had some (rare) support from MS which was fine. But the numbers keep changing.:{

Bush. Thanks, that does seem germane.

I think you'll find the problem is with the file, not the program.

Milo, One of the logical answers is that it has to be the file, but I must have tried this a dozen, no, make that 20 times.

W-Perfect produces a XXXX.doc file that immediately works on the other computer running the same copy of Office. ( 3 seat deal and all updated ) It definitely has a dot doc extension.

Thinks: The fault showed up immediately after the re-install. And was still there after Office suddenly updated itself.* So, not the update.

The other logical argument must be that Office left information behind that was picked up on the re-install.

* Just to add to my joys, Office upgrade (some hours after the re-install) did everything behind the Word screen. (I assume that's why there was no warning)

It suddenly rebooted my computer without the slightest warning but did create a XXXX(Autosaved).doc file.

It had a different word count to the original, meaning I have to compare every single word in a twenty page chapter.

My dislike of Word is turning into pathological hatred. And yes, I shall migrate away from MS just as soon as I get this darn book Kindlerized.

Milo Minderbinder
17th May 2013, 23:51
ex-matelot

contrary to public belief, the Office 2010 preload doesn't contain all the variants of Office. Some have to be manually downloaded and installed.
Here are the links on the DigitalRiver MIcrosoft fulfilment site

Office 2010
Microsoft Office 2010 Single Image English (Home and Student, Home and Business and Professional.
64-bit http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/01/501016817-10234441--EUR//office2010/X16-31970.exe

32-bit http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/01/501016817-10234441--EUR//office2010/X16-32007.exe

Microsoft Office 2010 Standard English
64-bit http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/01/501016817-10234441--EUR//office2010/X16-32361.exe

32-bit http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/01/501016817-10234441--EUR//office2010/X16-32324.exe

Microsoft Office 2010 ProPlus English
64-bit http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/01/501016817-10234441--EUR//office2010/X16-32213.exe

32-bit http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/01/501016817-10234441--EUR//office2010/X16-32250.exe

Milo Minderbinder
17th May 2013, 23:55
Rivits

any chance your problems are due to macros in the word document? Office 2010 has severe macro restrictions which need removing before any macro-embedded docs will open

Bushfiva
18th May 2013, 01:43
It had a different word count to the original, meaning I have to compare every single word in a twenty page chapter.

Word can compare two files just fine.

Loose rivets
18th May 2013, 05:08
NOTE I split the thread to address a problem that was very specific. I wish I hadn't, because conversation naturally spreads to other issues and I've confused the issue somewhat.

Ah, Bush, that's a point I might have remembered upon regaining my sanity. Thanks, I'll give that a look.

Milo, those downloads are worrying. I was under the impression I'd purchased a complete word-processor, not just the frame of a kit of parts.

The macro thing has already reared it's ugly head, but I can't remember what that issue was in the plethora of issues I'm trying to tackle.

However, the fact remains, all the .doc files I've ever created with W-Perfect worked on every computer - including my main PC.

At some point in time - about a week ago - they (multiple) still worked on other computers, but failed to load on my main PC as a word document.

(RTF etc convert fine.)

A re-install failed to cure the problem.

A pal asked me if I'd rebooted after the removal process. I confessed I had not. Is this an issue?

As a footnote. While looking at the problem of auto-capitalizing the first letter in a sentence after quotes, I found it was well-documented on the net. To my dismay, Libra Office fails in this respect as well.

I do literally thousands of such lines.

Milo Minderbinder
18th May 2013, 08:39
Rivits

ignore those links - that post was for ex-matelot, to explain why his keycard would not work with the installed version of Office

to your problem - check your macro settings. See
Enabling Macros in Word 2010 | Worldstart's Tech Tips Newsletter (http://www.worldstart.com/enabling-macros-in-word-2010/)

you may need to enable macros in word. By default they are disabled

Loose rivets
19th May 2013, 03:44
I've turned on the Digitally Signed Macros as a first step.

Right now, I've two main issues. Three . . . three main issues.

The conversion of files. Not done anymore about that due other workload, but intend to work out what's going on.

No capitalization after "Quotes." A real bummer.

Stripping the Tabs induced insets and replacing them with the ruler designated line. Say, point-five inch. Fine if I strip by hand, but the Mechanism for doing it in one go does not work on the duff copy. It is there on the other computer with the same Office soft.

I think it is ^1 Search and replace. One will try to remain calm and prevail - but right now am deleting every inset tab by hand.

These tabs are leftovers from Word Perfect. I wish really I'd stripped every chapter down to RTF or even more drastic sterilization.