PDA

View Full Version : Desire to become a Pilot..

Ibnu Yusuf
15th May 2013, 23:09
Good day to you all,

My name is Yusuf, I am 21 years old. Currently, I am at University studying BSc Computer Science(Just finished my second year).

As a child, I have always taken an interest in airplanes, In-fact even to this day when I hear or see a plane flyby, I cannot help but watch it follow its course..

Now, you might have thought that anyone my age would be happy. But im not. I still am unsure of what career I want to pursue.

Before going into college, I informed my parents of my desire to become an pilot, my parents convinced me it wasn't a good option. So for the past 5 years, I've been floating around unsure of what I want to do with my life.

I have thought of alternative careers, none of which are satisfying. I feel as though I am becoming old, and stressed. Studying a subject which I don't connect with, I need to make myself happy by doing what makes me happy.

The point of this thread, is so that I can receive positive feedback, feedback that will motivate me into entering the career of my dreams(its true, Ive flown planes in my dreams).

I would also like to know what steps I should take so that I can have a safe and secure journey through the training phase of becoming a pilot. My dreams are to fly for Saudi Airlines, or Pakistan International Airlines.

I hope I haven't posted in the wrong category, I was unable to find a forum designated for Introductions. Please excuse my mistake.

laz219
16th May 2013, 07:11
You'll probably find most of the people here will take the same view as your parents on this one.

G-F0RC3
16th May 2013, 09:19
Perhaps some helpful advice for the guy would be nice. :)

I would suggest finishing the degree you've started. Use that degree to get a good job and then save up/pay for flying lessons. From there you have a safe platform to reach for the sky. Despite what you think, you're still young enough to get there if you make the right decisions now.

I also think parents want what's best but don't always know what best is. There's no point in going through your life unhappy and with regrets. So definately follow up on your dreams, but don't get foolishly into mega debt to try to realise them, as you might end up in a position that destroys both your dreams and the other parts of your life. Flying is expensive - so be careful.

Luke SkyToddler
16th May 2013, 09:24
Mate if your dream is flying for Saudia or PIA, then I think a "safe and secure journey through training" is the least of your worries, it's the career after training that I'd be worried about :D

Stevie1995
16th May 2013, 12:06
Hey guys,

First things first, I'm not really sure if this is the correct place to ask the given question, but it seemed the most appropriate. And I know this is perhaps the most commonly asked question, but I couldn't find a recent post that reflects the views of the current economy so I thought I'd made a post of my own. (please dont bash me :sad:)

Ok, so here's my question: What is the best way to become a commercial airline pilot. not a major airline, but a small regional airline to start a pilot's career.

There have been arguments as to whether or not people should take the military path. Though it may be economical and what not, I'm fairly sure I don't want to take that path as I dont have 20 20 vision, nor does my home country (Japan) offer a significant number of positions for pilots, not to mention the competition.

Here's my situation: I'm graduating HS this year and have applied to colleges in England only. Depending on my IB scores, im thinking about going to Australia or follow through and go to England. Taking a gap year is also an option I'm thinking about.

So yeah, I'm not planning to go to any colleges, at least not in the US, like UND or ERAU. (if there are similar colleges in the UK, please tell me their names!) Im thinking go to college, either after this summer or next year, get a degree (it'll only be 3 years. is that ok?) and manage to get an instructors license by the time I graduate, then become an instructor while compiling hours, then apply for a regional airline.

I've also looked into schemes any they're appealing no doubt, but I seriously doubt I'm bright enough to stand out among the 10,000 applying.

Anyways yeah, sorry for the huge mess. Could anyone offer like a 5 year plan which will make it more probable for me to become a regional pilot?

Thanks in advance guys!

Halfwayback
16th May 2013, 20:41
Welcome to the Wannabee forum. Don't worry - you have found the right place to post.

Cab I ask you to use the Search function and explore the site. You will find that the questions you ask have be asked - and answered many times before.

If you also take a couple of hours to rad through the forum you will gain an understanding and an insight of your proposed career.

In the meantime I am closing the thread

HWB