PDA

View Full Version : Should I worry about AIM ?

Hussar 54
15th May 2013, 21:49
Wondering if I have a virus....

Logged into my @aol.com mailbox last night after being on holiday for two weeks, and noticed that while we were away, AOL had sent me an e-mail telling me that there had been suspicious activity in my account and that I should change my password....

OK...Had a look....And although no 'sent' messages showing, a few return messages from friends saying they couldn't open the attachment to e-mails they had received from me....Plus some 'bounced - undeliverable' mails to old e-mail addresses I hadn't written to for a couple of years....

Close inspection, and the mails were sent from an address 'Hussar'@aim.com and not from my 'Hussar'@aol.com. And the messages contained just a link -

-http://codifer.cl/clear.php?xwzeavzkn781wikzv

I'm afraid to open the link just in case, but anyone out there perhaps know what a link like this represents or means ??

So ran a Symantec scan and no virus found....Ran a MalwareBytes scan and no virus found....

I've sent all my contacts a warning about a possible virus threat, but meanwhile a quick 'google' earlier today and as I understand it, AIM.com is in some way a chat room associated with AOL, no ?? And needs a user to actually open an account to be able to use it....

Any ideas or advice, please ??

Thanks in Advance.

Keef
15th May 2013, 22:42
That address is dead now. It was probably a virus and has been taken down.

There's no telling what happened - your account may have been hijacked - if those messages were sent to addresses that only you would have in that combination, then that's likely.

Change your password, and watch carefully!

Milo Minderbinder
15th May 2013, 23:17
AIM = AOL Instant Messenger
AIM also exists as backup mail servers for AOL - POP/IMAP/SMTP
[email protected] is as valid on an AOL account as [email protected]
In fact.....pushing the limits, depending on the origins of the AOL account
[email protected], [email protected], [email protected] and [email protected] could all be valid e-mail addresses (and servers) for the same AOL account. My usual AOL account accepts mail from all four.

In this case, the OPs AOL account has been hacked, and the hacker has chosen to use the @aim version of the e-mail address. It makes no difference - the account has been hacked
The account password MUST be changed, as also must be the security reset questions. If problems recur after that then AOL have to be requested to reset the account - i.e. logoff ALL users and then change the password

PS
Never EVER open a link in a mail like that
Its an infection of some kind. Only way to find out what infection is to click on it........bit like putting an unknown syringe into your arm to see whats in it.

Delete it

Hussar 54
17th May 2013, 19:01
Thanks, guys....

Changed the AOL details and fingers crossed.....

edited because my fingers won't go where I tell them to tonight....

Loose rivets
17th May 2013, 23:01
You should uncross them before you type.;)