PDA

View Full Version : Inappropriate use of RAF uniform - Norwich Sci-Fi Club

BigGrecian
15th May 2013, 19:24
Did anyone notice the RAF hat and rank tabs?at : BBC News - Star Wars and Doctor Who fans clash at Norwich convention (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-22542222) on picture
http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/67625000/jpg/_67625058_jimpoole.jpg

Is it just me that finds it really inappropriate/possibly illegal that he wears these?

lj101
15th May 2013, 19:47
I think it's only if you intend to deceive - which (from this photo) I would say he was definitely a civilian.

As to it bothering me? No - it amuses me.

Pontius Navigator
15th May 2013, 19:48
Last weekend, in Budgens, I saw a flt lt, KGVI cap badge, bush jacket(ish) but not black buttons. Outside a WO with pilot's wings.

Now I have met a real Cpl with pilot's wings in 1957 and a real WO with a flt eng brevet in 1968, but a WO pre-1953 with pilot's wings?

Still they must enjoy themselves :)

Justanopinion
15th May 2013, 19:56
Is it just me that finds it really inappropriate/possibly illegal that he wears these?

He looks smarter than most RAF Officers with a belly to match so fits right in I'd say.

I cant say as I'd get upset about it, just amused.

Thelma Viaduct
15th May 2013, 20:03
He's only taking the piss, like most RAF officers do on a daily basis. :}

BEagle
15th May 2013, 20:22
Did anyone notice the RAF hat and rank tabs?

Actually, no. Because the fourth Norwich Sci-Fi and Film Convention at the University of East Anglia*, organised by Norwich Star Wars Club, doesn't actually hold a great deal of interest for me....:uhoh:

But if it keeps them happy, so what? There are far too many unhappy people around these days.....:(

Anyway, surely this was 'normal for Norfolk, boy?'. Having six webbed fingers on each hand probably helps with the alien look, I'd guess?

*What's more amazing is that apparently there's actually a university in East Anglia.....

Just This Once...
15th May 2013, 20:28
I've seen Stints wear worse!

barnstormer1968
15th May 2013, 20:52
He looks a lot smarter than the pile of rags I saw last week wearing Sqn Ldr slides.

The chap I saw looked like he had spent longer removing any trace of black leather from his shoes than I would have spent bulling a pair of ammo boots for a royal parade.

Biggus
15th May 2013, 20:52
Was he supposed to be wearing an RAF greatcoat with Grp Capt rank slides, as per "captain jack harkness", and that was as close as he could get..?

Tashengurt
15th May 2013, 20:56
I guess Brigadier outfits are hard to come by?

Laarbruch72
15th May 2013, 21:07
He seems to be having a lot of fun dressing up in costumes and seems to be trying to be a "(Group) Captain Jack Harkness, (as he's in a Dr Who setting), so maybe we should leave him alone. If he was turning up to remembrance day wearing a rack and claiming to have been flying harriers in Afghanistan I'd be bothered. But he isn't.

There are people on PPRuNe I'm more concerned about if I'm honest.

Martin the Martian
15th May 2013, 21:35
http://youraccount.ekmpowershop1.com/ekmps/shops/happyhenhomes/resources/Design/sw-dw-2.jpg (http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=AXvMmg2dFqrX1M&tbnid=MgZPjADXFwRrWM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tenthplanetevents.co.uk%2F&ei=cf6TUZ70Ka6S0QXIqoCwDQ&bvm=bv.46471029,d.d2k&psig=AFQjCNE4Y79D8qdHhGHfev_5V2iIXu_KVQ&ust=1368739801622359)

At the risk of being labelled a sad anorak-wearing nerd:8, he was emulating Simon Williams as Group Captain 'Chunky' Gilmore of the RAF Regiment-led Intrusive Counter Measures Group, as seen in one of Sylvester McCoy's better Doctor Who stories, 1963-set 'Remembrance of the Daleks', from 1988. I knew my extensive knowledge of Doctor Who would come in handy one day.

Anorak off, coat on.

Tankertrashnav
15th May 2013, 21:59
What's more amazing is that apparently there's actually a university in East Anglia.....

Ermm - I think Cambridge was in East Anglia the last time I looked.

However, if we're talking about Norwich

Published this week, the CWTS Leiden Ranking 2013 places UEA 90th in the world and 14th in the UK. In individual subject rankings the university comes fifth in the UK for Life and Earth Sciences and fourth for Social Sciences and Humanities.

Sorry, Beags, couldn't find Cranwell on that list ;)

racedo
15th May 2013, 22:26
BBC News - Star Wars and Doctor Who fans clash at Norwich convention (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-22542222)

Nuff said..

diginagain
15th May 2013, 23:30
So, a bunch of people who dress-up and pretend to be something that they're not. Struggling to find a link with the RAF Regiment...

500N
15th May 2013, 23:39
You needed to watch Dr Who.

The link to the RAF Regiment is the people who were in the
Intrusive Counter Measures Group were recruited from the
Army and RAF Reg't and were led by Group Captain 'Chunky' Gilmore.

NutLoose
15th May 2013, 23:56
So, a bunch of people who dress-up and pretend to be something that they're not. Struggling to find a link with the RAF Regiment...

Ohh that's easy, small cap badge, small peni...

Ohhh sorry, you said rock not coc.......

diginagain
15th May 2013, 23:58
You needed to watch Dr Who. etc
Yep, got it.

BEagle
16th May 2013, 06:12
You needed to watch Dr Who.

Err, not as such. But certainly his assistants (Wendy Padbury, Deborah Watling, Liz Sladen ;) , Katy Manning et al.) added considerably to the programme....:ok:

500N
16th May 2013, 06:18
Oh yes, totally agree.

Katy Manning did some nice pics with the Daleks :O

just another jocky
16th May 2013, 06:35
You mean this Katy Manning? :eek:

http://www.virginmedia.com/images/dr-who-jo-grant-now.jpg

500N
16th May 2013, 06:36
She looked a damn sight firmer in all departments when
she did the photos.

Very pert she was :O

Slasher would not have been impressed though.

CoffmanStarter
16th May 2013, 07:05
No one mentioned that Air Commadore Davros also attended and joined in the ensuing scrap :E

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/02/Davros_Wisher.png

Wensleydale
16th May 2013, 07:44
No one mentioned that Air Commadore Davros also attended and joined in the
ensuing scrap http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gif

To say nothing of "The Master" aircrew!:8

airborne_artist
16th May 2013, 07:48
She looked a damn sight firmer in all departments when
she did the photos.

Very pert she was

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01905/katymanning_1905838i.jpg

CoffmanStarter
16th May 2013, 09:09
Clearly the Dalek was pleased to see her :E

ChunkyGilmore
21st Jun 2013, 22:05
Good evening, I am the person as shown in the initial post.

Yes, as one poster stated, I am indeed "cosplaying" Group Captain Chunky Gilmore, in a convention environment while working in my role for the Norwich Sci Fi Club raising money for good causes.

Over the last three years through our efforts we raised around £15,000 for good causes, one of which being "Help for Heroes".

you can find out more about our charity event here

NOR-CON Norwich Sci Fi Convention TV, Film & Fantasy (http://www.nor-con.co.uk) and THE RIFT@THE FORUM - 18TH AUGUST 2013 (http://www.norwich-rift.co.uk)

Oh, and just as a matter of interest, I did indeed serve in the Royal Air Force for 12 years and every year I still wear my suit, my beret and my awards for Remembrance Sunday while I am out with the Legion.

Per Ardua.

Danny42C
22nd Jun 2013, 17:07
Pontius Navigator, (#3)

A WO pre-1953 with pilot's wings ? Before the P1 farce (1946?) , after which they became Master Pilots, the normal progression was Sgt - F/Sgt (1 yr) - W.O. (another yr) throughout the war. There weren't all that many, as they tended not to last that long.

Danny.

NutLoose
22nd Jun 2013, 20:06
Good evening, I am the person as shown in the initial post.

Yes, as one poster stated, I am indeed "cosplaying" Group Captain Chunky Gilmore, in a convention environment while working in my role for the Norwich Sci Fi Club raising money for good causes.

Over the last three years through our efforts we raised around £15,000 for good causes, one of which being "Help for Heroes".

you can find out more about our charity event here

NOR-CON Norwich Sci Fi Convention TV, Film & Fantasy and THE RIFT@THE FORUM - 18TH AUGUST 2013

Oh, and just as a matter of interest, I did indeed serve in the Royal Air Force for 12 years and every year I still wear my suit, my beret and my awards for Remembrance Sunday while I am out with the Legion.

Per Ardua.

Good on you and well put :D

Two's in
22nd Jun 2013, 21:00
...and given the recent form on these pages, at least Chunky does seem to be one of the few people who knows how to wear the proper hat properly - good for him and good luck with the charity work.

longer ron
22nd Jun 2013, 23:03
Warrant Officer Pilots ?
Normal rank progression pre silly aircrew badges...

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CC8QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.flickr.com%2Fphotos%2Fharlowirish%2F296 7165639%2F&ei=oCzGUf_HO86rPLG8gZAK&usg=AFQjCNGjzq7aX0TZrerIclO8Gfy1-dVBlA&sig2=EeeYypX2vJL5pezlqiFaPA

ColinB
23rd Jun 2013, 09:50
At the risk of being labelled a sad anorak-wearing nerd, he was emulating Simon Williams as Group Captain 'Chunky' Gilmore of the RAF Regiment-led Intrusive Counter Measures Group, as seen in one of Sylvester McCoy's better Doctor Who stories, 1963-set 'Remembrance of the Daleks', from 1988. I knew my extensive knowledge of Doctor Who would come in handy one day.

Anorak off, coat on.

Marvellous!

Milo Minderbinder
23rd Jun 2013, 12:52
sad anorak wearing nerd.....

anyway, for reference

Ian Gilmore - Tardis Data Core, the Doctor Who Wiki (http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Ian_Gilmore)

J.A.F.O.
23rd Jun 2013, 16:19
The fact that the gentleman pictured has served in the Royal Air Force makes the matter even worse. For a civilian to wear uniform, or part of it, for fancy dress is one thing; for a retired or former serviceman to do so is quite another and is explicitly proscribed by QRs.

gr4techie
23rd Jun 2013, 16:28
The fact that the gentleman pictured has served in the Royal Air Force makes the matter even worse. For a civilian to wear uniform, or part of it, for fancy dress is one thing; for a retired or former serviceman to do so is quite another and is explicitly proscribed by QRs.

I'm certain QRs no longer matter when you are out. He probably cares as much about QR's as the RAF cared about him after he walked out the main gate for the last time.

J.A.F.O.
23rd Jun 2013, 17:16
Or

Non-commissioned ranks are not to wear uniform after their discharge from the Service.

Or

Wearing of Uniform by retired, reserve and Royal Auxiliary Air Force Officers
Occasions when No 1 Service Dress may be worn. Officers on the Retired and Reserve Lists, Royal Auxiliary Air Force officers and ex officers who are permitted to retain their rank may wear uniform on the following occasions:
a. When attending:
(1) Investitures and Royal Garden Parties.
(2) State ceremonial occasions.
(3) Parades in an official capacity, in connection with the celebration of the Sovereign’s birthday.
(4) Their own wedding or other military weddings when the sponsor requests the wearing of uniform.
(5) When attending formal Service functions.
b. When participating in an official capacity, in:
(1) Non-Service parades.
(2) War Memorial services and associated parades.
c. When inspecting or visiting:
(1) RAuxAF units in an official capacity.
(2) Units of the Combined Cadet Force (CCF) of the Air Training Corps (ATC) on behalf of the Ministry of Defence or Territorial and Auxiliary Forces Associations.
d. When appointed for service with the ATC (the rank badges to be worn are those appropriate to the ATC appointment).
e. When on duty as officials duly appointed by the Ministry of Defence.
f. When holding the appointments of ADC to Her Majesty’s Governor General or Governor.
g. When holding the appointment of Lord Lieutenant or Deputy Lord Lieutenant of a county, High Sheriff or Sheriff and discharging the duties of that appointment. (Lieutenancy insignia may not be worn on RAF dress but entitled RAF flying badges may be worn on the Lieutenancy dress).
Wearing the Uniform

So, perhaps they do.

NutLoose
23rd Jun 2013, 17:30
And as a Civilian that list of QR's may have worried the poo about of me when I was still serving, but to be honest it's just meaningless verbiage to me now and as much interest as a used telephone directory.

Not that I would ever want to wear a uniform again, but the words so sue me would come to mind. The service brainwashing has worn off long ago.

Dengue_Dude
23rd Jun 2013, 17:48
What a non-topic.

After the contempt that successive governments have displayed to 'the' uniform and all it means, I'm sure what these folks are doing is certainly far more respectful and well-meaning.

Even if they're only wannabees (only?), that's still better than regarding HM Forces as a necessary evil, to be discarded as soon as unreasonably possible.

Certainly doesn't bother me, but then I was only a Master rather than commissioned and inclined to worry about this unadulterated affront to the officer corps dignity . . . (right).

It's much easier to breath when the head is removed from the fundament - what's more, the view's much better too . . .

Willard Whyte
23rd Jun 2013, 22:47

From one ex-commissioned officer to someone else: Get a life.

I did. And it's better than the one the raf provided.

reynoldsno1
23rd Jun 2013, 23:28
mrs r1 sometimes wears bits of my old uniform to fancy dress parties - very fetching she looks in it too, though it's a bit big for her and far too small for me. I don't think she will be mistaken for impersonating, err, me, and if it's against QR's, well, arrest me ....

Warmtoast
24th Jun 2013, 11:22
Watching the BBC's Antiques Roadshow from RAF Marham last night I thought I saw Capt Mainwaring and Pvt Pike (or facsimiles) in the background. Both appeared to be wearing uniform - were they out of order too - for wearing Home Guard uniform?

AR1
24th Jun 2013, 11:25
I sometimes put my S6 on in the garage. Its the only thing that still fits.

As for the topic, no problem. He's aping a character, not deceiving anyone.

As for DR Who assistants... I avidly watched the entire last series and for some strange reason don't remember any of the plot.

charliegolf
24th Jun 2013, 13:12
"So sue me!", someone suggested earlier....

If such a person were sued (prosecuted?), any self respecting magistrate would, on hearing about the fundraising, be furious with whoever brought the case. Anecdotaly, judges and magistrates (around here) seem much more willing to tear a strip off timewasters in authority these days. Good thing too.

CG

J.A.F.O.
24th Jun 2013, 15:52
Sorry for answering the OP's question rather than waffling on a tangent. My mistake.

NutLoose
24th Jun 2013, 15:57
My apologies if i came over a bit forthright, i was just trying to put across that although it may be chiselled in stone in QR's, as an ex serviceman they mean nought to me now and that probably is indicative of most of the ex services population..

whitus1
4th Jul 2013, 07:07
The fact that there is an air cadet stand behind him may indacate he is an air cadet VRT offcier. (although no VRT badges on the tabs, but some officers decide not to wear them!)

Laarbruch72
4th Jul 2013, 07:36
You've not read any of this thread have you?

sisemen
4th Jul 2013, 09:04
Wearing of Uniform by retired, reserve and Royal Auxiliary Air Force Officers
Occasions when No 1 Service Dress may be worn. Officers on the Retired and Reserve Lists, Royal Auxiliary Air Force officers and ex officers who are permitted to retain their rank may wear uniform on the following occasions:
a. When attending:
(1) Investitures and Royal Garden Parties.
(2) State ceremonial occasions.
(3) Parades in an official capacity, in connection with the celebration of the Sovereign’s birthday.
(4) Their own wedding or other military weddings when the sponsor requests the wearing of uniform.
(5) When attending formal Service functions.
b. When participating in an official capacity, in:
(1) Non-Service parades.
(2) War Memorial services and associated parades.
c. When inspecting or visiting:
(1) RAuxAF units in an official capacity.
(2) Units of the Combined Cadet Force (CCF) of the Air Training Corps (ATC) on behalf of the Ministry of Defence or Territorial and Auxiliary Forces Associations.
d. When appointed for service with the ATC (the rank badges to be worn are those appropriate to the ATC appointment).
e. When on duty as officials duly appointed by the Ministry of Defence.
f. When holding the appointments of ADC to Her Majesty’s Governor General or Governor.
g. When holding the appointment of Lord Lieutenant or Deputy Lord Lieutenant of a county, High Sheriff or Sheriff and discharging the duties of that appointment. (Lieutenancy insignia may not be worn on RAF dress but entitled RAF flying badges may be worn on the Lieutenancy dress).
Wearing the Uniform

Oh poo! They appear to have missed out fancy dress parties either at your gaff or your mates where the wearing of various bits of redundant service dress is as de rigeur as getting pissed.

(Writing as someone who holds his (ex) uniform in high regard but still has a life and knows how to enjoy it!