PDA

View Full Version : MoD launches appeal to find two men pictured carrying 'unexploded bombs'

ricardian
15th May 2013, 16:15
Strange behaviour (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/10059107/MoD-launches-appeal-to-find-two-men-pictured-carrying-unexploded-bombs.html)

Solid Rust Twotter
15th May 2013, 16:25
Doesn't look rigged for fuses. I'd say practice rounds. Squash head maybe.

G-CPTN
15th May 2013, 16:27
We need nigel to tell us whether these were explosive ordnance or 'dumb' projectiles.

VP959
15th May 2013, 16:30
Doesn't look to me like there are any fuses fitted, and as the range in question often fires practice rounds, I'd suggest that these are most likely to be a couple of those that were washed up on the beach.

tony draper
15th May 2013, 16:34
You would think the MOD would once a year have chaps going round with metal detectors collecting up the scrap and selling it themselves.
:uhoh:
There was a documentary on RT a while back about one of the bombing ranges in the American outback and the scrap men who go in hoovering up some terrifying live ordinance to sell as scrap and the battle the military police and local sheriff have trying to catch em.

VP959
15th May 2013, 16:41
Cleaning up ranges is a major problem. Some of ours are kept clear of all UXBs (the "sterile" ranges) so that anything found after a trial can be certain to have come from the weapon being tested, but the majority of training ranges are literally choc a bloc with debris, including a fair bit of unexploded ordnance.

It makes handing back some areas that were requisitioned in wartime potentially very expensive, as it takes years to sterilise them. We're still clearing mines in the Falklands now, and have been doing it continuously since the conflict ended in 1982.

Tone
15th May 2013, 17:20
Look a bit like 120mm HESH. If they were in good condition you would be able to tell if they were painted black or blue. Black with a yellow pointy end = full of unpleasantness, not to be carried around. Blue = inert. Much of the stuff fired at Lulworth will have been practise rounds. A lot of them could have missed the targets set out on the range and sailed out to sea.

One has spent too much time on the ranges at Lulworth. Happy days.

Windy Militant
15th May 2013, 17:23
Near us there's a new housing development called Chestnut fields. I suppose they reckon on it it being easier to shift the houses than calling it Bomb Dump Avenue. I wonder if they'll tell the prospective buyers they were still finding stuff last winter.!:eek:

racedo
15th May 2013, 18:46
It makes handing back some areas that were requisitioned in wartime potentially very expensive, as it takes years to sterilise them. We're still clearing mines in the Falklands now, and have been doing it continuously since the conflict ended in 1982.

They still finding stuff from the land "requsitioned" on the Front in WW1.