PDA

View Full Version : Never mind the quality feel the width.

Upside
28th Apr 2002, 15:40
A question for the wise.

I need and want to keep flying following completion of an integated course, but the question is should i be flying twins or clocking up twice the hours in singles.

Typical costs are £90 for a single and £190 for the twin. The cheaper overseas route is not an option at this time due to other commitments and so i need to accrue my hours slowly in the UK(maybe 2/4 hrs mnth).

So chaps and ladychaps, what will appeal to an employer when a sniff of a job comes my way, an extra 80hrs single or maybe 40 hrs multi on top of the 200 hrs tot i have now ?

Any thoughts on the matter will be gratefully recieved.

CAT3C AUTOLAND
28th Apr 2002, 16:34
Upside,

I am by no means experienced when is comes to making judgements about what employers are exactly looking for, however I do know a couple of people of have been for jobs with quite a number of SE hours, like 2-3000, and not getting them!

From communication with these people it would appear the trend is that your man or woman with perhaps 1200 hrs TT including 300 multi, is a lot more attractive than a man or woman with 2-3000 hours on singles. So it might be worth cracking on with your 40 hours?

Just a thought, I would be interested to see what others think, as I may be talking out of my ass :D.

Cheers.

Wee Weasley Welshman
28th Apr 2002, 16:44
Unless you are going to build 200hrs multi or 1000hrs single I wouldn't bother - you'll still be viewed as low hours.

Instead it would be more useful to spend the money on sim time in a decent FNPT2 sim. Fly some IR profiles that are demanding and take a mate to note your infractions - do the same for him. This will at least keep your IR flying from rusting up and will help you pass that Simride.

Pilot Pete
28th Apr 2002, 21:15
Try the CTC scheme, you may get lucky.

In the present climate you are unlikely to find employment with 'low hours' (see WWW's definition), but, when the upturn comes you need to have used the 'lull' to get yourself towards the top of the 'low hours' pile.

I would say you want 1000hrs as a benchmark. The more twin time the better, but look to get 100hrs twin amongst that total. These were the sort of totals that most airlines were looking for to offer interview pre-Sept 11th. Any more single time than that is, in my opinion not going to 'cut the mustard'. There are, however, exceptions to every rule and we all know someone who got a job with 250hrs and someone with 4000 instructional.

By the time that 'low hours' pilots are being employed again in any numbers the competition is going to be even fiercer due to the increased numbers chasing the few jobs. Your objective has to be to stand out from that crowd and quality hours will always stand out from quantity (assuming you meet the minimums).

Good luck

PP

redsnail
28th Apr 2002, 23:25
If you are going to spend money, make sure what ever you do keeps your IFR scan up to speed! The sim check is based on IFR flying skills, not whether you can look out of the window.

Upside
30th Apr 2002, 18:11
Thanks a lot for the input chaps. I have to say that the thought of having to gain 1000hrs before i get a sniff is quite depressing but maybe 200hrs multi is possible over the next few years.
Whatever and whichever is the case, i shall just press on and get as much done as i can (because i love it) and who knows what may come up.
I think that perhaps i should be getting as much multi time in as poss.

Thanks again:rolleyes: