PDA

View Full Version : Eurostar

OFSO
14th May 2013, 20:31
An interesting sight today: before the i/c Eurostar from London arrived at Gare de Nord Paris just before 14:00, numerous badge-wearing English heavies arrived on the upper floor from which the train may be seen and were scrutinizing with intense scrutes the scene below.

When it arrived, the Eurostar carriage doors remained shut but some French heavies went on board and removed selected baggage. Following which they removed a selected passenger.

After he'd been disposed of, doors opened normally and passengers were allowed to disembark.

As ever in these cases, very unsatisfying to be left to wonder what it was all about.

Blues&twos
14th May 2013, 21:01
He'd probably forgotten to sign his passport.

Airborne Aircrew
14th May 2013, 21:12
He has a hose pipe...

Dushan
14th May 2013, 22:35
Maybe he was smuggling cheese into France. That's a big no no!

Hobo
15th May 2013, 04:50
You've kept this very quiet OFSO. I didn't have you down as a trainspotter.

Remember the old 'tanner-oners'?

OFSO
15th May 2013, 06:02
At least we could have had a station announcement over the Tannoy, something like "the 14:05 miscreant currently leaving the station in the hands of two French police has been arrested for fromage-fondling and will shortly be beaten within an inch of his life round the back of Platform 5".

Just so we KNOW.

toffeez
15th May 2013, 06:10
Last time someone did, it caused a flurry of posts from bewildered Pruners wondering what the hell it means.

Capetonian
15th May 2013, 06:33
On a subject closely related to Eurostar, I've heard that the through TGV service from Paris to Barcelona has been 'indefinitely' delayed and that passengers will have to continue to change from a French TGV to a Spanish AVE at Figueras Vilafant.

Is this true? If so, yet another brilliant example of European cooperation at its best. (Wrong sort of electricity?)

Lon More
15th May 2013, 06:47
Is this true? If so, yet another brilliant example of European cooperation at its best. (Wrong sort of electricity?)
Looks like compatibility problems. So in fact a lack of European co-operation.

Capetonian
15th May 2013, 07:25
I was being sarcastic.

Compatibility problems no doubt, but nothing that could not have been foreseen, after all Spain and France have been running trains across their borders since long before I was on this planet.

McGoonagall
15th May 2013, 07:40
Electro-Magnetic interference between the train and the track circuits it seems. Track is divided into sections with a low voltage electrical charge running in a circuit. A train entering a circuit shorts out the charge and this shows the section as occupied in the signalbox/control centrre/remote panel. A train leaving the circuit allows the current to flow and the section shows as unoccupied.

We had a similar problem here when the new Class92 electric loco was introduced. It had a disconcerting habit of reverting the opposite tracks signals to danger as it passed them, leading to many squeaky bum moments from unsuspecting drivers happily trundling along the other line. Me included. A small software modification cured the problem.

SpringHeeledJack
15th May 2013, 08:36
The authorities seem to work on a 'need to know basis', but I wonder in how many cases, such as in the OP's example being that it is/was in a public space and it might be argued that 'we' have a right to know and be informed...:hmm:

SHJ

OFSO
15th May 2013, 10:01
Figueras Vilafant.

True, but having to change trains in Figueras means one can enjoy disembarking at the world's largest Portacabin. And in contrast to Perpignan TGV which has two cafes but NO toilets at all, Figueras Vile-elephant TGV has toilets but no cafe.

Logically this means the next TGV station to be built will have either (no) toilets and no cafe, or (b) toilets AND cafe. Ostres !

OFSO
15th May 2013, 11:35
On a Thalys train into Brussels once the doors didn't open and we all sat there wondering. Sudenly the doors opened and huge police dogs with their Belgian handlers came down the carriage, clambering over everyone and thrusting their evil-smelling private parts into passengers' faces (I refer to the dogs, not the handlers). A passenger was siezed, bundled out of the door, and thrown roughly to the platform below with cries of "take that, you rapscallion" in Flemish.

Again, very frustrating when you don't know why....

Train companies should make allowances for natural human curiosity.

vulcanised
15th May 2013, 11:50
Perhaps it's a new form of entertainment devised to take our minds off the euro crisis?

OFSO
15th May 2013, 11:56
the euro crisis?

Travel first class on the TGV and you wouldn't think there was any crisis at all. Every seat fully booked on every train from down south up into Paris. The Eurinstar is also doing well judging by how few seats are empty.

Capetonian
15th May 2013, 12:01
Travel first class on the TGV and you wouldn't think there was any crisis at all. I think that's more a question of SNCF having a surprisingly efficient yield management system, and that first class travel is very often only marginally more expensive than Andrew Mitchell class, sometimes cheaper for the restricted advance booked tickets.

bluecode
15th May 2013, 12:18
You realise that Eurostar is a type of aeroplane too? Which confused me a bit given the topics often found on other parts of this forum.

I should have known though, aviation topic? No chance.

Solid Rust Twotter
15th May 2013, 12:22
Well, it is JB. The chattering wannabes infest the other forums, thank goodness.:ok:

G&T ice n slice
15th May 2013, 15:49
with cries of "take that, you rapscallion" in Flemish.

Along the lines of "name of a name" and "sacred blue" ?