PDA

View Full Version : London in colour

gruntie
14th May 2013, 09:22
1927 London in colour. Wish it was like that today.

Amazing Colour Footage of Street Scenes of London in 1927 (http://gawker.com/street-scenes-from-london-in-1927-in-strike-colour-s-503352196?autoplay=1)

Fliegenmong
14th May 2013, 09:39
Thanks Gruntie...interesting stuff.....

angels
14th May 2013, 09:48
Not if you'd seen the state of the bogs in Adelaide House (building on the the north east of London Bridge) you wouldn't.

They were a disgrace in the 70s, let alone the 20s.

603DX
14th May 2013, 10:12
Surprising how little some of the street scenes have changed, in 86 years!

But I have a strong feeling of 'Deja Vu'; someone posted this bit of film very, very recently ... or is today Groundhog Day? ;)

gruntie
14th May 2013, 10:18
Oh well. I haven't read that thread, so I haven't seen it before.

Still, I now know where not to go when caught short on London Bridge.

Buster Hyman
14th May 2013, 10:31
Sad to think they were only 12 years from the horror of another war. Probably still basking in the glow of victory & Empire.

angels
14th May 2013, 11:00
603dx - it was posted in the Trabb thread so quite understandable that some folk missed it.

I think it's worth a thread of it's own. As Buster says we view it with a certain poignancy because the seeds of more carnage were being sown as the cameraman did his bit.

They may well have tarted up the bogs in Adelaide House now. It was full of ruffian traders and brokers when I was there.

Probably advertising execs now.

lomapaseo
14th May 2013, 11:56
I especially liked the ending where the London Bobbie saunters over and says something along the line of

hey you can't take picture here it's against the Home Office anti-terrorist law

sorry don't know how to translate this into londoneese

angels
14th May 2013, 12:00
You got a point there Mr paseo, just alongside Adelaide House now is part of the City's 'Ring of Steel'.

This usually consists of a couple of plods occasionally stopping white vans. Every vehicle that enters the City is now recorded.

bluecode
14th May 2013, 12:13
Just an ordinary sunny afternoon in London for all those people appearing in the film. I always find these old films rather poignant. Virtually everyone seen in the film, even the little children are now dead. Yet we see them all, large as life, going about their ordinary lives.

Makes you think.

tony draper
14th May 2013, 12:38
Likewise Bluecode,I thought those films from 1900 found recently were magic,to me it seems our streets were much busier then, throngs of people going about on foot yacking shopping or just standing about,we seem to spend more time indoors now, after 8pm round here the streets are virtually deserted.
Tiz much quieter now than it was in the fifties and sixties.
:)

Choxolate
14th May 2013, 13:01
The thing that struck me was the absence of road markings and street signs.

Tone
14th May 2013, 16:05
...and the number of uniformed police

Capetonian
14th May 2013, 16:15
Enjoyed that. The city looks very clean, a lot of green, and the river looks a lovely clear colour compared to its murky filthy grey these days.

vee-tail-1
14th May 2013, 16:24
Most old films are run through the projector too fast, and this makes the past seem somehow silly and unreal. Affecting perhaps subconsciously our attitudes to history. This colour film however shows that people were just like us ... how poignant then as some have already posted that all kinds of obscenity were about to descend on those happy people.
Indeed it makes me wonder what is in store for us?

Dr Jekyll
14th May 2013, 16:38
The city looks very clean

I was thinking the exact opposite.

vulcanised
14th May 2013, 16:52
No mobile phones or baseball caps.

Magic.

tony draper
14th May 2013, 16:55
Don't be so sure.:E
World's first mobile phone in 1938 ? Time Traveler in 1938 film ? - YouTube

Capetonian
14th May 2013, 16:59
When I said the city looks clean, there's very little visible litter, and I was trying to be PC, but as someone else said, no baseball caps, football shirts, 'combat' trousers, 'trainers', Lycra Loonies .......... and it was before the EU and open immigration.

Helix Von Smelix
14th May 2013, 17:51
Not too many pigeons

sisemen
15th May 2013, 01:45
and the river looks a lovely clear colour compared to its murky filthy grey these days.

'Tis the surface of the water merely reflecting a nice sunny day with clear skies. The river in those days was nothing more than an open sewer. Today there are fish in it.

sisemen
15th May 2013, 01:48
No mobile phones

Have a look at the motorcyclist (with sidecar) at 02:05. Food for thought???

Buster Hyman
15th May 2013, 01:50
Today there are fish in it.

http://disinfo.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/ThreeEyedFish.gif

spInY nORmAn
15th May 2013, 08:21
Regarding the 1938 mobile phone thingy - I always wondered who a time traveller would be talking to (another time traveller there at the same time I suppose)? Also, it would have to be phone to phone communication were that the case as there would be no supporting infrastructure.

Unless, of course, it were a "time-phone"!!! :eek:

vulcanised
15th May 2013, 12:10
A bit like the feature film (forget which one) set in 'the olden days' where one town scene has a banner over a shop in the background - with a website address on the banner!

ChrisJ800
15th May 2013, 12:26
Nice film, sparrows but no pigeons, and no graffiti anywhere :ok:

McGoonagall
15th May 2013, 15:40
I liked that. Often take a wander down from Westminster to The Tower on the south side before crossing Tower Bridge then real ale pub hopping back to the West End.

:O

angels
15th May 2013, 16:12
Mr McG - what you have just posted is one of the reccommendations I give to people visiting London.

The walk along the south bank is full of variety, rich in history and entertaining. And I can't really remember the journey back....:ok:

pineridge
15th May 2013, 17:54
There are probably not too many people on this thread who can remember London in the fifties when then general feeling of the city was one of gloom and darkness.
The buildings and memorials of the West End in particular were an evil dirty black colour caused by years of unrestricted coal burning in the city.
The Clean Air Act began a process which lead to the transformation of London.
The palaces, Houses of Parliament, the churches, Regent Street, Piccadilly etc. were literally scrubbed clean and the gorgeous true honey colour of the stone work was revealed.
This work lasted for several years and conducted largely at night utilising a type of sand blasting and cascades of water.
Despite decades of deposits from diesel engines and the like the effect of the project can still be seen to this day.
It is a little sad that such a tremendous positive blow for the local environment is largely unheralded today.

RedhillPhil
15th May 2013, 18:23
Where are all the fat people of to-day?