PDA

View Full Version : FAA CPL for SE: Glider hours count?

Zonkor
14th May 2013, 02:33
If I read the PIC time requirements for the FAA CPL single-engine in FAR 61.129(a)(2), then it seems you could use 50 hours of glider PIC time toward the 250 hours flight time requirement, which is obviously one of the cheapest forms of hour-building (and fun :).

Do I understand it right?

FAR 61.129(a)

Aeronautical Experience

(a) For an airplane single-engine rating. Except as provided in paragraph (i) of this section, a person who applies for a commercial pilot certificate with an airplane category and single-engine class rating must log at least 250 hours of flight time as a pilot that consists of at least:
(1) 100 hours in powered aircraft, of which 50 hours must be in airplanes.

(2) 100 hours of pilot-in-command flight time, which includes at least--

(i) 50 hours in airplanes; and

(ii) 50 hours in cross-country flight of which at least 10 hours must be in airplanes.

[...]

zondaracer
14th May 2013, 02:50
Yes, glider and helicopter time count

MartinCh
14th May 2013, 16:28
sure, in FAA system. Just make sure you got plenty power aircraft time if converting to other systems.

I can give an example of one helicopter pilot with plenty airplane PIC time, but needing more time to convert ot Europe for heli CPL. I myself have too few aeroplane hours even with FAA CPL doable in 20-30hrs training, I'd be short of PIC or airplane total time for some countries.