PDA

View Full Version : drink drive

Prazum
13th May 2013, 21:24
Just curious, could I get smashed off my tits and loose my driving license. Yet, still soar the sky's with my ppl ? Presuming of course I got a taxi to the airfield.

DarrenM488
13th May 2013, 21:28
I wouldn't expect you to be doing so for an employer. Probably something written into t&c's of employment for such matters I would expect (hope!)

PPL though, I don't see why not unfortunately.

mikedreamer787
14th May 2013, 01:02
Can't see why not as long as you don't get
smashed off your tits before you go flying.

CityofFlight
14th May 2013, 01:11
You probably have a legal loop hole. Just alert us if you choose to fly and from where.

Am thinking a wide berth is needed with the way you posted this. :rolleyes:

mikedreamer787
14th May 2013, 01:29
CofF I think the OP is inquiring whether a drink driving conviction can cause one to
lose one's PPL. AFAIK the answer's no, but the aviation Authority within the OP's
country may have different ideas. In ICAO Contracting States the issuing authority
may or may not include certain convictions outside aviation to issue/maintain one's
PPL.

The information presented by the OP is minimal but assuming its a single conviction
that won't be repeated again I can't see his PPL being torn up....yet.

CityofFlight
14th May 2013, 01:35
I completely understand his question. And let's just say I'm also reading a bit of immaturity between the lines. I believe, "smashed off my tits" was his expression. Would you care to be on the road with that?

I wouldn't want to be any where near someone who flies without the slightest bit of remorse for drunk driving, but just wants to know if he's legal with his PPL and will ask it here, without doing his own proper research.

It tells me plenty.

mikedreamer787
14th May 2013, 01:38
I see your point.

Dont Hang Up
14th May 2013, 11:03
On a related note: I was told (but I am uncertain to the reliability of my source) that there are any number of RAF pilots who have drink-drive bans.

I would have thought though that the RAF would take a dim view of such things. Perhaps a more reliable source could enlighten me.

Cacophonix
14th May 2013, 11:24
Initially I thought this thread was about loose tits (where is Slasher?) but now see it is about inebriation while driving and losing your licence...

Suffice it to say that if you have an FAA license then you are bound to inform the authorities if you are connected with an administrative action or convicted of DUI.

Arrests, administrative actions and convictions are also reportable under Part 67 (http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=035beb520f083fd6d60691ad23bd5c19&rgn=div5&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.1.5&idno=14), the airman application for a medical certificate.

Airmen DUI/DWI (http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ash/ash_programs/investigations/airmen_duidwi/)

Best to behave as if the UK CAA were as strict in this area as the FAA methinks.

One might get "off one's tits" in the parlance of our times but only a tit would think about going near a motor vehicle or an aircraft within 48 hours of such a mammalian event.

Happy drinking. Safe flying and driving to you.

Caco

Fliegenmong
14th May 2013, 11:32
Back in....I reckon....maybe about the early 1990's, I was thumbing through some manuals of a friend who worked at the time for a prominent HKG carrier.

I remember being interested reading about suitable Russian fuels to take on board should a Tech stop be required somewhere in the former Soviet states, and the properties and codes of these particular fuels that would be acceptable to RB-211 Ops....

...Thumbing through further to a CRM section (I think).....and reading a 'How would you respond scenario'..... I remember it being similar to this....

"How would you respond if your eldest Son borrowed the car and upon return parked haphazardly across the driveway, even though you had yourself returned the night before from the pub, after several drinks with mates/colleagues and had parked across the driveway in a haphazard fashion yourself"

Not exact wording, it's from a long time ago.......It's stuck with me ever since though, because of the implied notion that returning from the pub, driving yourself, after clearly having more than you should to drive, was in fairly common practice, as it (similar? idea was given as an example in a manual) Anyway, as I say, many years ago, but I was stunned enough at the time to recall it now.......

Well if you could put a B747-400 on the spot at Kai Tak in a Typhoon after 12 1/2 hours from LHR....you're odds on to make it home after a few too many bevvies at the local pub aren't you??:confused:

green granite
14th May 2013, 11:34
A few years ago there was a business man who lost his car licence through drink driving, he took to flying his aircraft to meetings instead. He took off from Cambridge one afternoon, wandered Southish and infringed Stansted's FIR and eventually crashed when he ran out of fuel. He was well over the car limit let alone the aviation one.

Cacophonix
14th May 2013, 11:41
I guess cabin altitude and fatigue will only exacerabate the effect of alcohol in the system... making disorientation and errors more likely.

Perm crash model: IAC's reconstruction with audio track - YouTube

Caco

bluecode
14th May 2013, 11:45
Don't know about PPLs but you can have your Class 1 suspended if the Doctor suspects alcohol abuse based on a blood test even if you never drink and drive or even fly and drive. That's caught out one or two.

DX Wombat
14th May 2013, 12:46
a bit of immaturityMake that extremely immature especially considering the poster's purported age. :mad:

finfly1
14th May 2013, 13:19
This issue points out the beginning of the chain of events that began when the US IRS was given permission to use the Social Security number for a taxpayer ID, which up till that point had been strictly forbidden in the original Social Security Act.

Subsequently, many, if not all of the fifty state motor vehicle bureaus also began using the SSN in their records, as did the FAA for the pilot ID number.

The FAA then ran a check of current FAA Medical records against all the state DUI arrest records, without the knowledge or permission of much of anybody and threatened (may have actually imposed, don't know) fines of $50,000 for those pilots who had kept their driving arrests to themselves.

MadsDad
14th May 2013, 16:16
Many years ago I worked in Plymouth. One of the other contractors on the job lived in North London and used to fly down to Plymouth on the Monday and back to London on the Friday. He flew mainly because he couldn't drive because he was on a Drink Driving ban.

The amusing bit, as far as we were concerned, was he got banned ofter being stopped while driving home from the party to celebrate him getting his PPL.