PDA

View Full Version : EU referendum draft bill to be published on May 21

cldrvr
13th May 2013, 20:52
The Conservative Party will publish a draft parliamentary bill on Tuesday to legislate for an in-out referendum on Britain's membership of the European Union to be held by the end of 2017.

BBC News - Tories to publish details of draft EU referendum bill (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22518403)

OFSO
14th May 2013, 03:05
Yes, he's been pushed into doing the unthinkable: making a decision at last. Whas it Obama's words of "wisdom" regarding the UK's relationship with the EU, or could it be one of his advisors reads PPRuNe ?

hellsbrink
14th May 2013, 04:16
Neither, OFSO, because if he doesn't his own party is likely to turn on him.

sitigeltfel
14th May 2013, 05:03
You can bet than any question put to the electorate will not be a simple In/Out. It will be framed in such terms as to cloud, threaten and confuse, so that voters are led to do whatever the government wants.

Capetonian
14th May 2013, 05:33
I happened to bump into 'call me Dave' on the way home last night and we popped into the local for a drink. He got up to powder his nose and I couldn't resist a quick peek at the folder he left on the table. Inside was a document, neatly typed, the contents of which were roughly as reproduced below.

"The UK's membership of the EU has brought substantial benefits to the country over the years. Her Majesty's government has in the interests of the populace determined that the way forward is to consolidate our membership of the EU by proposing an opt-out clause which would be precursor to a realignment of the treaties and conditions pertaining to our relationship with Brussels. Whereas in the course of history this country has acted upon and within its interests in matters relating to sovereignty a nation cannot exist without the mutual support of its partners. In the light of evidence available to us under subclauses 45(a)(ii) and 97(c)(vii) which are available for perusal at HMSO upon written application, your government submits to you this day the following proposals :

a) That the government of the United Kingdom under the powers of the various treaties and conferences pertaining to its membership of the EU should act in accordance with the principles contained therein.

b) That the government of the United Kingdom may, according to the powers invested by HM the Queen submit upon treaty a further ongoing proposal that deliberation of the concurrence of empirical considerations be given to a review of the cohesiveness whereby an ongoing strategic view will be drawn into a submission under clause 237(n)(xiv)

Please vote for A or B

Whilst I was perusing this, the girl from the bar brought our fish and chips over and I asked her what she thought. She examined it for a few seconds, puckered her pretty little nose, and said : "You f***ing wot?"

At this point, CMD returned, so I had to sneak the paper back into its folder. I may have got some detail wrong, such as the the clause numbers, but it was pretty much as above.

OFSO
14th May 2013, 11:33
Aha, but Dave can't push the bill himself because if he does the LibDems will turn on him and savage him. (Who said what about being stoned to death with breadcrumbs ?).

It is 'hoped' a back bencher will raise the bill instead. Once again Dave shows his true washed-out faded colours.