PDA

View Full Version : Fresh out of school

gana.b.a_pilot
28th Apr 2002, 12:05
I have not yet started learning how to fly, but I am dead keen.
The problem I have is geting the correct info. I feel that the people that I speek to are buyest. Well speeking to the people at the flight school that I plan to go to, thay tell me that currently there is a world wide shortage of pilots, and before sept 11 the rate of employment was higher then ever before. And well speeking with the odd pilot thay tell me that it is hard to get started but when you get into it your "up and away". What I want to know is how hard is it to find a job when you are fresh out of flight school?:confused:

Lucifer
28th Apr 2002, 12:34
You will obtain more of a response in the Wannabes forum or the Australian forum further down, however you are right to suspect that flight schools may sometimes be biased and in coming here you should get more impartial advice.

Certainly, in brief, in the current environment, you will find it extremely hard to obtain a job with minimal hours, especially as there are so many pilots on the job market with greater qualifications and experience. I won't say any more than this general statement as I am not familiar with the exact situation in Australia, needless to say that it may all be very well having a worldwide shortage of pilots, but it doesn't help if you do not have the right to live and work in a particular location, and for pilots it is a great deal more difficult to obtain permissions.

calgary
28th Apr 2002, 20:42
Hey, I've been reading alot about finding jobs and becomming a pilot seeing as how I may be going to flight school in september if I get accepted.

From what I've heard: first off you may have to start out doing a low-key pilot job, tourist pilo, bush pilot... etc. But from whatI have read most pilots who startout this way say that it is the best experience theyve had in their life. the other option I have just recently heard is that you can apply at an airline and they will put you in their own training school when you comeout of flight school and when your done that they will hire you on, however it is very expensive(170,000$). theres also the option of becomming a flight instructor, which I dont have too much information on, but appearently its supposed to be a great job, and hey, if your getting paid to fly there most likly wont be any complaints

and your right I have heard soooo many rumors as well, which pisses me off because you they are just tryingto make more money by lieing through their teeth and have no regard for the person who has just spent 20000$ and just learns how hard it will become just to obtain their goal as a commercial pilot.