PDA

View Full Version : Close formation flying

goldox
13th May 2013, 11:27
There was quite a lot of GA activity in my area over the weekend (Oxfordshire UK) involving several aircraft flying closer to eachother tha I normally see.
For instance one pair was in parallel flight, I would estimate less than 1000ft apart but very difficult to tell.

However a small helicopter and bi-plane were definitely extremely close, the bi-plane following about 50ft maximum I would say, although they were some distance away from me.

I just wondered what the regulations are for close flying like this, is it some special variation of VFR dependent on pilot's qualifications? And does formation flying have to be planned/agreed in advance with ATC? Thanx.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
13th May 2013, 12:21
Unless they were in controlled airspace it entirely depends on the pilots operating under "see and be seen" rules, ie VFR. They may not have been receiving any form of ATC service.

BOAC
13th May 2013, 12:29
For general aviation, the commanders normally must agree to do so, emergencies excepted of course.

A formation of aircraft should make no difference to ATC so prior notice of 'formating' is not required.

NB There is nothing to stop formating in IMC, night or IFR either.However a small helicopter and bi-plane were definitely extremely close, the bi-plane following about 50ft maximum I would say, although they were some distance away from me - was it 'On Tow'?:)

PS 50' is not really considered 'close'. 5', yes.

goldox
13th May 2013, 20:46
Thanx for replies.
HD: They were probably crossing the Benson MATZ, do they need to receive a service or just get permission to transit?

BOAC: It may have been less than 50ft just looked very close to me, as an amateur! Also it's possible I suppose the biplane was in fact pushing the chopper...;)

spekesoftly
13th May 2013, 21:08
A formation of aircraft should make no difference to ATC ..........

Unless the formation (especially a large one) is forced to split, then it does get busy !

BOAC
13th May 2013, 22:08
.....yes, as it does for the aeroplanes!

Agaricus bisporus
14th May 2013, 10:08
1000 feet apart isn't "formation" flying.

50ft isn't "close" formation or anywhere close to it for light aircraft.

A biplane following a helo sounds could be air to air filming/phot.

Dont Hang Up
14th May 2013, 10:32
Back when Manchester had only one runway and two GA flying clubs, we (5 PA38s) had been on a weekend fly-in to Guernsey. We flew back on Sunday afternoon in a V formation - all transponders standby except for the lead aircraft. Perfect weather conditions. Great fun!

Manchester ATC accepted us back in formation as SVFR without hesitation. It was only when we had to hold due to incoming big stuff and the ATCo asked if we wanted to hold in formation...

...well the Red Arrows we were not, and quickly declined the offer. Completely unperturbed, she gave each of us an A code and peeled us off onto separate holding orbits.

So a good demonstration of the issue (or non-issue) I think.

goldox
14th May 2013, 11:40
Agaricus. thanx for reply (well thanx for the 33.3% I welcomed).

1000 feet apart isn't "formation" flying.

I agree. I didn't say it was.

Again I accept your view on this. Beyond my experience. I was guessing at separation distance from quite a distance. Suffice to say, to my untrained eye they appeared b****y close.

Quite possibly filming as you suggest.

Dont Hang Up
14th May 2013, 12:07

I would suggest it's plenty close enough without some proper training (just in case there is anyone out there thinking of trying it).