PDA

View Full Version : The ice age commeth, an unusual weather event.

green granite
12th May 2013, 20:26
Watch this video of what happens in an “ice out” from the nearby lake Mille Lacs, you can actually watch the ice advance. In a matter of minutes the wind pushes the ice about 15 feet from the shore to the doors and windows of lakeside homes.

Glaciers Visit Izatys Resort - Mille Lacs Lake, MN - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0EyfEDKWscg)

tony draper
12th May 2013, 20:46
Spooky or what.:)
Read that they do come on very quickly

grumbles69
12th May 2013, 22:04
That's incredible, I have never seen anything like that in my life. :)

AtomKraft
12th May 2013, 22:15
Global warming in action.

tony draper
12th May 2013, 22:17
Imagine the advancing ice sheet half a mile high,that's what happened here albeit a tad slower,if it comes again nothing would remain of our civilization,it would crush everything in its path then grind it to dust and then the floods came when it melted it would even wash away that dust,twould be as if nobody, no human had ever set foot in England since the dawn of time.
:uhoh:

500N
12th May 2013, 22:23
Tony

Just a huge version of a glacier.

And even Glacier's are impressive up close so something
1/2 a mile high makes the mind boggle.

tony draper
12th May 2013, 22:49
Saw something recent that said the ice age glacier that squished most of the UK didn't originate in Scandyhooligia but on Rannock Moor,my apologies to said Scandyhooligans,from hence forth one shall blame the Scots.

broadreach
12th May 2013, 23:19
Do that admiral TonyD but by that time we'll all be holed up in OFSO's Spanish mountain retreat, which we've managed to buy for a song. Some of us, namely broadreach, may still be braving the Trent & Mersey canal; can one surf a glacier?

AtomKraft
12th May 2013, 23:21
Rannoch!

You very lovely English man.

:uhoh:;)

Fox3WheresMyBanana
12th May 2013, 23:41
Ice wall damage leaves Manitoba community devastated - Manitoba - CBC News (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/story/2013/05/12/mb-ocre-beach-disaster-may12.html)

Sometimes it doesn't stop. 27 homes destroyed this week in Manitoba.

Lonewolf_50
13th May 2013, 02:59
Winter is coming.

alisoncc
13th May 2013, 03:56
Sometimes it's hard to comprehend how puny we are in comparison to Nature. Remember driving around the big island of Hawaii, that is until we came up against the lava flow from the volcano. Twenty foot plus thick and a good two hundred yards wide - solid rock that hadn't been there when they built the road.

ExXB
13th May 2013, 05:52
Unusual has become usual.

Davaar
13th May 2013, 07:48
Don't know about the ice but that woman's voice cuts right through you!

Basil, you beat me to it! Any Fate must be better than a life sentence tied to THAT VOICE voice and the brain that goes with it: "Oh My Gawd!".

didn't originate in Scandyhooligia but on Rannock Moor

Sure by Tummel and Loch Rannoch
And Lochaber I will go,
By heather tracks with Heaven in their wiles.
If it's thinkin' in your inner he'rt
Braggart's in my step,
You've never smelt the tangle o' the Isles!

Lon More
13th May 2013, 08:00
twould be as if nobody, no human had ever set foot in England since the dawn of time.

No real loss then ! :}

Davaar
13th May 2013, 08:05
The rules here demand that I commit these vapid spaces to pay the admission for:

No likely Fate could bring us loss,
Or leave us happier than before.

Davaar
13th May 2013, 08:17
27 homes destroyed this week in Manitoba.

As THAT WOMAN would shriek:

"FOR GAWD'S SAKE, SHUT THE DOOR!"

Lon More
13th May 2013, 09:09
a bad as that other drama queen Larry Grayson

tony draper
13th May 2013, 09:45
We are living in brief(as the Earth measures time)interglacial period right now,our only hope is that global warming comes on a bit swifter than the ice sheet advances and holds it back for a while.

OFSO
13th May 2013, 09:48
in OFSO's Spanish mountain retreat

Indeedy, yes. Here's the view from my terrace this morning: all aboard to dodge the ice age !

http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu287/ROBIN_100/SailingShip_zps2939107e.jpg

tony draper
13th May 2013, 09:51
I would not feel to comfortable Mr OFSO,there was one ice age when the entire globe froze over from pole to pole.:E

LordGrumpy
13th May 2013, 10:05
We do have the well breached about these parts.
Seen from his veranda.
A Ppruner displaying his five masted water ski tow boat?

beaufort1
13th May 2013, 10:12
Nice piccie OFSO :ok:

I wonder if the owner's of the properties damaged/destroyed by that ice would be covered by insurance? I suspect they would classify it as an Act of God.:suspect:

OFSO
13th May 2013, 10:18
I would not feel too comfortable Mr OFSO

I do not. It was b--- cold here last night. Although the only tidal wave we have right now is one of French moving south.

What you can't see in the photograph is the noise from local building sites. Went on to 8 p.m. on Saturday.

arcniz
13th May 2013, 10:42
Grrreat pix and view, OFSO! Small wonder you can often find a thoughtful way to rise above the noise and tumult.

B Fraser
13th May 2013, 11:39
Unusual has become usual.

I don't think so. The same events keep happening but now, you can post them on facetube or suchlike so everyone knows about it. Had the internet been around when Santorini or Krakatoa blew their tops, the Thames froze over every year or when there were dairy herds grazing in Greenland, then we would not be running around forecasting the end of the world.

Davaar
13th May 2013, 11:47
Grayson

Those blasted Graysons!:

Hadn' a bin for Grayson,
Ah'd a bin in Tennessee!

Hang down yore haid, Tom Dooley!;
Hang down yore haid an' cry!
Hang down yore haid, Tom Dooley!
Pore boy! Yo're gonna die!

Brian Abraham
13th May 2013, 14:32
Looks like the "Royal Clipper".

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fa/2001_Royal_Clipper_Karibik_020.jpg

tony draper
13th May 2013, 14:45
Hmmm, Wasn't it
Hadn'a bin for Sheriff Grayson Mr Davaar?
Makes more sense in the storyline
Always were a bad lot those Dooleys, proto chavs they were,I wouldn't let my daughter marry one.
:rolleyes:
I wouldn't have liked the Sailmakers job on yon vessel Mr Abraham,poor buggah would never have his thimble off his palm.:uhoh:

Never let it be said that one will never admit being wrong,though in truth it doesn't happen very often,
You are right Mr Davaar,twere just Grayson,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtSzcKZGzDs
PS If I were that town I would get a new hangman,the hangee's arms should be cuffed behind his back,not in front,a agile person such as myself could reach up grab the rope cut it with a concealed blade and effect my escape.
:)

tony draper
13th May 2013, 15:17
Aha!! one was right := as this was the only version we Englishmen heard before wireless could cross the Atlantic,twere indeed 'Sheriff Grayson':rolleyes:
Lonnie Donegan ::: Hang Down Your Head Tom Dooley (with original lyrics) - YouTube

Davaar
13th May 2013, 15:23
Of course!

And make the knot a bit tighter.

Also wear a more fashionable hat, for goodness' sake.

Mind you, there is the chum (always a first class shot) hidden behind the bushes to cut the rope with a well-aimed heavy-calibre full metal jacket. Although I would not want to put my trust in that. Too many variables.

tony draper
13th May 2013, 15:35
Of course the great Marty Robbins did his own version of this involving betrayal a knife a bird called Flo and unusually a night time hanging.:uhoh:

sisemen
13th May 2013, 15:52

Definitely NOT the 'Royal Clipper'.

In OFSOs post the ship is facing to the right and has no sails whereas in Brians pic it is facing to the left and has sails.

QED

G&T ice n slice
13th May 2013, 16:31
And did you notice in the pixture wiv sails that the flag at the top of the middle one of those upright stick-things is flying the wrong way?

duh! even a child knows that a flag on a ship always is pointing towards the blunt end of the boat:ugh:

Fareastdriver
13th May 2013, 19:48
Grown ups know that when the wind is pushing a boat it pushes the flag too.

Milo Minderbinder
13th May 2013, 20:10
Its only a slow storm surge - or the equivalent of

Davaar
14th May 2013, 00:36
the great Marty Robbins

Yes but of course we had the right to expect a lot from him .... after all, chap was an engineer.

Loose rivets
14th May 2013, 07:27
Did you know, 35 million people in the USA are displaced from their homes each year in recent times, due to weather related phenomena.

Also, saw it on the telly so it must be true, scientists go into glaciers on the Alps, via super-cooled waterholes. FILLED ONES. If something triggered the freezing they'd be an ice-lolly in a moment.

Anyway, when they get under the sliding ice sheet, they measure the movement of the ice with a bicycle wheel pressing against the ceiling. Data is taken from that.

The things that stick in one's mind.

Davaar
14th May 2013, 12:03

Where is the matelot standing atop the mainmast, stripping off his jersey and waving it to the admiral resident? I can give the source for this if pressed.

I suppose that's just another tradition lost in these wimpish days. Or more likely never was practised so much in red duster circles.

pineridge
15th May 2013, 19:10
The song in question was also a big hit for the Kingston Trio, I think.