PDA

View Full Version : NTC about contacting IOC

SloppyJoe
12th May 2013, 16:46
I think many are ignoring what the recent notice said. On numerous occasions I have heard ATC ask CX aircraft to speed up and they instantly reply that they can and will make the restriction imposed. Surely in this sort of situation a satphone call to IOC should be made to make sure you are allowed to increase the cost index or speed whilst telling ATC to standby. Same goes for making a curfew or trying to just get ahead of that A320 going to the same destination. Seems like most are ignoring the requirement to contact IOC and I think all commanders should be calling them to check whenever an increase in speed is required or operationally prudent.

cxorcist
12th May 2013, 18:45
You're kidding, right? Should I also tell ATC to standby while I have IOC check on the acceptability of sequencing vectors, level changes, or holding? Of course not. Speed control is a sharp controllers way of handling spacing requirements before any of the others listed above become necessary. I think it is in our interest, timewise and economic, to accept speeds given unless they impede safety due to high/low speed maneuver margins or unacceptably higher fuel burn which adversely affects diversion options.

Did I just fall for a windup?

Arfur Dent
12th May 2013, 19:41
Not really a wind-up, just slightly tongue in cheek. However, I think hundreds of calls to IOC would make the point that WE are in charge of en route operational decisions, not some desk wallah thousands of miles away.

monster330
13th May 2013, 00:50
I contacted IOC the other day, and after about 8-9 minutes of 'I can fly' was cordially given permssion to put my ' jammas on , brush my teeth and go to bed.

It all went quite swimmingly actually, 'til I lost the toothpaste and didn't know how to respond. So I called 'em again, and was tucked away within 45 minutes of that second call.

Thanks IOC. You're just swell

ASH1111
13th May 2013, 02:04
Sloppy's post may be tongue in cheek, but the problem is, we actually have guys here who think like that! Probably this same guy:

"You have 162kts bugged, but they assigned us 160."

"Yes, but I wanted to avoid additional flap drag for the next 35 miles"

"No, no bug 160, they have special equipment now, and can SEE what you have bugged, we could get in trouble...."

Give me a break, are you serious...? One born every minute.

China Flyer
13th May 2013, 02:37
I think that they would very much like to breed Commanders that actually call them for every decision. That way they get to "call the shots", yet pass the blame when it all goes wrong.

I never call them to "ask" anything. They may, however, get a call (workload permitting) after I have made my decision.

broadband circuit
13th May 2013, 02:56
Hey Monster330, was that 8-9 minutes of 'I can fly', or was it 'I can lie'?

crwkunt roll
13th May 2013, 08:44
I can FRY.