PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 + Thyroid Medication

Vortex_Ringpiece
11th May 2013, 15:29
Hey PPruners,

I'm hoping to get a Class 1 so I can get my ATPL(H). I am trying to find out whether I'm even applicable for a Class 1 medical before I make the booking etc.

Google hasn't helped so far specifically and nor has my Doctor!
I am 'hypothyroid' and take a mixture of Thyroxine (T4) and Triiodothyronine (T3) to make me normal. I know the FAA approves the taking on Thyroxine on it's own as fine and if you take Triiodothyronine, it's also approved on an individual basis. Does EASA/CAA have a similar stance?

Fostex
11th May 2013, 17:09
I believe this is what you are after;

Metabolic & Endocrinology Guidance Material | Medical | Personal Licences and Training (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=2499&pagetype=90&pageid=13829#ThyDys)

Class 1
(e) Thyroid dysfunction
Applicants with hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism should be assessed as unfit. A fit assessment may be considered when a stable euthyroid state is attained.

Thyroid Dysfunction Class 1 and 2
Applicants with symptoms and/or on first diagnosis of hyper-and hypothyroidism should be assessed as unfit.

Class 2
(e) Thyroid dysfunction
Applicants with thyroid disease may be assessed as fit once a stable euthyroid state is attained.
A fit assessment can be considered subject to a satisfactory endocrinologist’s report to include TSH, after 3 months of being stable on treatment.
Annual follow-up with endocrinology/GP report and TSH.

Vortex_Ringpiece
11th May 2013, 20:53
Thanks, I've already seen that and it gives no mention of what medication I can take.

Fostex
12th May 2013, 09:57
" A fit assessment may be considered when a stable euthyroid state is attained."

- The Part-Med guidance in a lot of cases does not prohibit specific treatments but there are often 'local variations' at each licensing authority. The best advice is to get a report from your endo consultant describing your history and treatment. You might also want to request some clarification from the AMS at Gatwick. They are a friendly bunch and will be happy to clarify any questions you might have.

Flow Wedge
12th May 2013, 13:38
Mate

I have had a thyroidectomy for cancer. Class 1 no problem. Clear of cancer, euthyroid, annual blood test = Captain with Big Airline.

Vortex_Ringpiece
17th May 2013, 14:14
Managed to get hold of an AME at the CAA in Gatwick.

I can confirm should anyone else be wondering or wanting/needing to change their medication that BOTH T4 and T3 (Synthetic) - Thyroxine and Tetroxine, are cleared for flying. Gatwick need a letter from GP showing figures to proof you are not hypo and outlining your treatment protocol. Thanks for all the help.

VRP :)

my salami
8th May 2020, 16:27
Mate

I have had a thyroidectomy for cancer. Class 1 no problem. Clear of cancer, euthyroid, annual blood test = Captain with Big Airline.

Me too had a Thyroidectomy.
Just a quick question.
How long did it take you reach an Euthyroid state?

Thanks

MS

Loose rivets
8th May 2020, 23:08
I remember posting the reply of 'My Flabber is absolutely Ghasted'. when the picture of a form explaining why the outer third of my eyebrows was missing. I requested a test and the young lady receptionist asked why. I told her about my eyebrows. She didn't even look up, but gave me the test. I'm on 3 pills a day for hypo.