PDA

View Full Version : At the Mall; Can't depend on anyone.

Davaar
11th May 2013, 06:14
In January 2012 one of my periodic brushes with the scalpel left me a bit shaky on the feet, nothing major, but in the snow and ice I began to use a walking-stick. It helps a bit.

In the Middle Ages, I believe, the village leper would carry a bell to give audible warning of his approach. My stick performs an analogous although subordinate function. It makes the bearer noticeable.

Hanging around the swing doors at the local shopping Mall, scene of my daily visits, there is usually a crowd of young rowdies, louts we may say, of various colours and hairstyles, some extravagantly decorated in the tattoo of their choice, others of the sub-group "hoodies".

They are regularly destroying my faith in human nature.

I see them from afar. I tighten the grip on the stick. What hazard lies ahead? Next thing I know, these rascals have broken off from their cavorting to open the heavy swing door..... For me! I make my way through and say:"Thank you!"

Quick as a flash, one of them snaps back: "You're welcome! Sir!"

You will readily imagine just how shaken this left me, first time I met with it.

Today I was having a shade of trouble with the said door. The spring-loading really is quite heavy. Immediately the door was wrenched, wrenched I say, from my grasp and opened by two young women who had gone out of their way to come back and do this. These shameless hussies may have been thirteen, but not much more. "Thank you!", I said. "You're welcome, Sir!", they chorused.

Sometimes I drop the car keys. Before they hit the floor, some forward chick in her early seventies is sure to do a mid-air catch and hand them to me."Thank you, Ma'am!", I say through clenched teeth. "You're welcome! Sir!", she returns, bold as brass.

I leave it to you. What opportunities can the future offer to Grumpy Old Men?

Solid Rust Twotter
11th May 2013, 06:22
Dang polite Canadians...:*

ExRAFRadar
11th May 2013, 06:34
I have a similar tale.
When we moved round here I noticed a group of hoodies hanging round an old blokes house. The chap in there is nice but he is an alcoholic.
I assumed the 'yoof of today' were there taking the p*ss and causing mayhem.
There always seemed to be about 5 - 7 of them, boys and girls about 14 - 17 in age.
You can see where this is going.
I set off one evening to berate them and quite possibly be stabbed for my trouble (in my mind)
I started nicely "You lot taking the piss out here?"
"No", came the reply "We always knock on the door to make sure **** is OK. We get his fags and some grub"
"Oh, great, carry on" said I.
Sure one of them said "Wan*er" under their breath. Couldn't agree more thought I

Gordy
11th May 2013, 06:56
I love this thread so far..... I will give the other side to the story...

As for me--I am an anti-establishment type person. I certainly do NOT dress my part or wear my hair the way one would expect for my position.

A few years ago, I showed up for a meeting about 30 minutes early and sat down in the conference room in the head offices of a governmental agency. After a few minutes some of the other 5 meeting attendees showed up, (we had never actually met in person), and I was asked to leave the room because there was going to be an "important meeting" taking place.... I watched all the other participants arrive while I sat in a chair outside the room.....got to hear them discuss all about me and wonder where I could be.....finally one of them cam out and asked if I knew where "Gordy" was.......

I try to give the "youts" of today some respect...many times they get a bad rap that is not deserved... Sometimes the "few" tarnish the reputation of the "many".

bluecode
11th May 2013, 11:18
Gordy, surely that was the most appropriate time ever to try out that famous line: 'Don't you know who I am?'

You missed an opportunity there.

I know of a celebrity of the older generation who was due to host a charity bash. As he arrived and attempted to enter he was accosted and berated for trying to sneak in by a very young door person who obviously had no idea who he was. He said nothing and humbly paid for his ticket.

You can imagine her embarrassment later.