PDA

View Full Version : New Imperial Airways museum

maverick1996
10th May 2013, 21:04
Hi All,
I have only just joined this site and been pleasently surprised by the topics and chat on here. I thought it ideal to publish some news and questions which I hope you will find interesting. So as not to go on for too long(!), I won't go into how we got to where we are, but will let you know about a few things that are now happening.

We are creating a new Imperial Airways museum in Wiltshire which will be opening this summer and will be the first of its type in the world. It includes a replica of part of Croydon Airport's booking hall (with Imperial Airways ticket office, weather map and newsagents kiosk), the history of the airline from the airlines that formed IA right up to WWII, and original artefacts. The final room shows the style of the period and people who flew with the airline. Also housed here is a cross-section of an HP42 airliner for people to sit in, and an example of an earlier airliner for comparison.

For refreshments you can go through to our aviation themed public house and tea rooms next door which has my late fathers collection of over 200 paintings, propellers, tail rotors, tail fins, models, and even an ejector seat for the unwanted customers! This is all just a stones throw away from RAF Lyneham, and we have many aircraft flying overhead, from civilian flying to many military aircraft and helicopters from bases such as Brize Norton, and exercises on Salisbury Plain. We are getting known within the aviation community and are becoming a meeting place for many likeminded people. For some images and further details please see: www.goddard-arms.co.uk (http://www.goddard-arms.co.uk/)

The museum will be used as a main project base for our HP42 replica which has been 15 years in the making (since we operated the WWI Vickers Vimy replica) but is now starting to be built. More news of this will be in the press very soon and I will post on here too asap. This aircraft will not be able to carry passengers due to modern regulations, but will be operated around this country and also recreating some of the routes from the past. Details on the 'Imperial 42' project, the museum, and an historical site for the airline can be found at: www.imperial-airways.gb.com (http://www.imperial-airways.gb.com/), and messages can be sent to: [email protected]

I have a couple of questions for everyone:
We are asking for anyone with any reminiscences or information that may be able to be included in the museum (especially in our 1930s area showing the personal side of flying with Imperial Airways) to get in touch. This can be about anything Imperial, staff, passengers, bases, etc. We are also looking for anyone who has any items they may want to lend the museum for displaying. We have purpose built temperature controlled display cabinets for all items, and are trying to make this museum a focus for all interested in the subject.

I really look forward to your replies http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/Smileys/default/smiley.gif

Neil

A30yoyo
11th May 2013, 13:12
Well it seems your enterprise is being noted in high places :)
Goddard Arms, Clyffe Pypard (http://www.goddard-arms.co.uk/#!__news)

How far from the A30 is it?

cyflyer
11th May 2013, 14:41
Details on the 'Imperial 42' projectThis carrot has been dangled for many years, also on the previous IA site, which now appears to be defunct. How about something essential on the project and some photos of its progress. On the previous IA website Imperial 42 wanted a paid membership to provide information on the project. Its been too 'secretive' for far too many years now..

maverick1996
11th May 2013, 18:58
Hi Cyflyer,

Thought I would answer your questions posed:

There have been a number of people try this project in the news - only one was us so please do not confuse - and we only made ours public in 2004 after many years of research. Due to the size and complexity of the project we always said it was going to take sometime between making it public and being in a position where there would be alot of progress and regular details could be given. Once you launch something like this the public always want more than you can give/want to give out. Due to this together with the unexpected death of my father who was also a lead member in the project, we decided to sort out his estate and get our new base/museum, etc, in private before our major PR campaign which is now immenent.

The old IA site is not defunct, simply has a new address (.co.uk at the end rather than .com) and you can find this via our links mentioned in my post. We also have a new project/team website which can also be found through our links in the message already posted. I totally understand about people needing photo evidence which is why not only will the PR in the press show evidence, but the setting up of the museum has been done to house more evidence.

The past club 'Club Imperial' was set up to cover the airline, and not for the project. However, to give members that extra little bit of information as a bonus for being part of the club, they did have project details first before they were made public. Other than that the club and website were for Imperial Airways, and set up before the project.

There are many long running aviation projects which appear 'secretive', purely because they are private projects (rather than public projects like the Vulcan), and many have run for a lot longer than ours. This can be for many reasons, but in our case the project is primarily a private one with private sponsors, and the setting up a base, a museum, seeking the necessary documents and infrastructure, and sorting out my late fathers estate, has taken a few years while overseas project work is being undertaken.

I hope this answers some of your questions. I do not wish to appear harsh but wanted to get the points across, and I don't expect people to believe what I say on my word alone - that is for the press and museum visitors to see for themselves shortly.

P.S. A30yoyo - The Goddard Arms which is our aviation themed pub is approximately an hour and a half on the M4 from the A30.

4Greens
12th May 2013, 07:59
Check out the National Airspace Library at Farnborough, Hants. They have much of everything and may lend some kit.

Capetonian
12th May 2013, 08:02
I have nothing tangible to contribute but I will most certainly be visiting the museum and I wish you you every success.

Albert Driver
13th May 2013, 18:38
Websites like this really irritate me.
Life is just too short to watch funny shapes re-arrange themselves on the screen in ultra-slow time. If I click on I want information fast - and not least: where in the world I am looking at.
If I don't see it quick, I'm gone.....

Allan Lupton
13th May 2013, 19:47
The Goddard Arms which is our aviation themed pub is approximately an hour and a half on the M4 from the A30.

Since the M4 and A30 only meet where both start, in West London, are you saying it's 100 miles along the M4 from there?

Four Wings
13th May 2013, 20:12
If you have an a/v facility you should try to get a copy of the film 'Airport' from Shell.
It was the first film made by the Shell Film Unit (in 1936), and it is "a day in the life of Croydon Airport". A brilliant piece of history, with lots of shots of HP42s coming and going, Control Tower ops etc. A worthy production in that great era of British documentary making.

maverick1996
14th May 2013, 15:23
Hi,

4Greens - Thanks for that, we have contacted the library in the past who have been very useful

Capetonian - Look forward to seeing you at the museum!

Albert Driver - I understand what you mean about websites where you need a quicker connection. I too have a very bad connection, and indeed our historical Imperial Airways website (www.imperial-airways.co.uk (http://www.imperial-airways.co.uk/)) is an older site which comes up quickly. However, most people now have a good internet access speed and require 'more modern looking' sites, so the project sites use Flash player which people on slower connections or earlier iPhones will have a problem with.

Allan Lupton - Using Google maps the actual time given on the M4 was an hour which was 67 miles. The bit off the M4 at both ends made it just under an hour and a half.

Four Wings - Yes we have a copy of that film - great viewing!

Flanflinger
15th May 2013, 17:56
The "original" Imperial Airways museum has lots of reference material and artefacts, but they definately don't have an HP-42 :8:
British Airways - Heritage collection (http://www.britishairways.com/travel/museum-collection/public/en_gb)
Definately worth a visit if kicking your heels around Heathrow, but you can only visit by prior arrangement. Looking at the Goddard Arms opening hours the same could possibly be said. ;)

Good luck with the museum and the replica.

maverick1996
16th May 2013, 10:21
Hi Flanflinger - Thank you for the comments. Yes the British Airways Heritage Collection has a great amount of artefacts and information and definately worth a visit. Times for our Imperial Airways museum have yet to be established, but at the present we open 6 days of the week from noon until well after many museums would close, so hopefully very suitable for most who would be travelling.

Flanflinger
16th May 2013, 18:24
How is work going on the HP-42? Has their been any progress? I'd love to see one on the airshow circuit. 90th anniversary of Imperial Airways next year, or are we going to have to wait until the centennial?
Which engines are you planning on using?

cyflyer
17th May 2013, 03:42
The Vimy was built under the FAA’s Experimental Airplane regulations, and remains on the FAA Experimental register for which there is no UK equivalent. To transfer it to the UK civil aircraft register with a UK Permit to Fly would be an expensive and time-consuming process which a small charity of limited resources such as the Museum could not justify on its own. The costs of that transfer and the significant operating costs of the biggest biplane flying in the world could not be recovered through the limited payments available on the UK Airshow circuit;
I was just reading about the reasons they stopped flying the replica Vickers Vimy, and they are quoted above from the Brooklands museum site. Doesn't this apply to the Hp42 project, and so is there any point in building this aircraft ?

maverick1996
17th May 2013, 19:33
Hi Flanflinger - Please refer to the 4th paragraph of my original post for HP42 information. The website links give all the information we are prepared to at the present, the rest is being saved for our imminent press launch, so keep your eyes peeled!

Hi Cyflyer - The way the Vimy project was run, and the HP42 project is being run, are totally different. The Vimy was built to fulfil a certain idea, including ending up at Brooklands. This museum is great but is not a flying museum, hence their quote about not being able to justify flying the aircraft. The HP42 project is much bigger, with larger backers before and after completion, and more potential to earn money. Again please keep your eyes peeled for our imminent press launch.

:)

PA22
29th Aug 2013, 20:59
I visited the Goddard Arms a fortnight ago, expecting to visit the museum. In that I was disappointed as there are, I was told, planning approval issues. Opening could be November, but I think next year is more likely.

The pub was very nice and we had a friendly welcome. Loads of aviation prints and photos, as well as some memorabilia. Worth a detour (down some very narrow lanes) if you are anywhere near.