PDA

View Full Version : The Big Anniversary

Wensleydale
10th May 2013, 14:49
With the big anniversary celebrations due to start next week, I thought that I would get in early.

Enjoy

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dNSKV8158o&feature=endscreen&NR=1

W

smujsmith
10th May 2013, 18:23
Wensleydale

Eee Lad, as good a rendition as I've ever heard ( and I've played it a few times mesself). Thanks for sharing that, you are obviously a man of discernment and fine taste.

Smudge :ok:

AirportsEd
10th May 2013, 18:52
Fantastic! :D

CoffmanStarter
10th May 2013, 19:13
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/393032_10151593083869885_1957577736_n.jpg

Squadron Leader Les Munro CNZM, DSO, QSO, DFC, JP, aged 94, the last surviving pilot of Op Chastise, visited Air Command in High Wycombe today. Les flew in yesterday from his home in New Zealand for a busy week of 70th anniversary commemorations.

A true hero ...

He certainly looks fit for his 95 years ... and I bet he could still handle a Lanc :ok:

Shack37
10th May 2013, 19:17
Magic, sheer magic:)

charliegolf
10th May 2013, 20:38
The staggering thing for me, is that these men are NOT heroes at all.

To themselves.

They think themselves ordinary.

I'm just glad that ordinary people like me know best!

As SASless would say, 'Hand salute Les!'

CG (in awe)

newt
10th May 2013, 22:00
Bl--dy fantastic!!!!!!:ok::ok::ok::ok:

November4
10th May 2013, 22:03

To themselves.

CG (in awe)

I was having a similar discussion the other day with another ex-RAF lad.

Civilians (and Govt) see us as veterans - we see our selves as ex-RAF or ex-Mob...veterans being Second / Korean war

Civilians (and Govt) see us as heroes - we see ourselves as people who did a job

Glad they got his decorations correct...finally :E

Stitchbitch
10th May 2013, 22:17
Good work chaps and chapesses. Had the good fortune to meet and interview George Johnny Johnson last year, last surviving UK Dam buster and totally nice bloke. His stories of low flying Lancasters flattening the blooms near Spalding and having to pull up to go over the HT cables at Sutton Bridge are thing of legend. :ok:

MightyGem
11th May 2013, 14:20
So, I have to wonder why, apart from Chis Evans at Coningsby, BBC Radio 2 are basing there celebrations at Biggin Hill.

DX Wombat
11th May 2013, 14:58
Probably because it isn't up North, a place which Suvverners regard as Unsafe territory. :*
There is one very special celebration which will take place at RAF Coningsby on 22nd June - Project Propeller. (http://www.projectpropeller.co.uk/) :D

muppetofthenorth
11th May 2013, 14:59
London-centric BBC and all that. All get nosebleeds if they head too far into the frozen wastelands of the North.

Lima Juliet
11th May 2013, 16:06
Oh do keep up 007...the BBC 'moved up North' last month!

BBC Television Centre says final farewell with Madness and sadness | Media | guardian.co.uk (http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/mar/22/bbc-television-centre-farewell-madness)

BBC TV Centre in London is no more...

LJ

Rigga
11th May 2013, 19:27
...but the national radio stations are...?

Wensleydale
11th May 2013, 21:40
From the "Project Propeller" link...

On 12 November, Lancaster aircraft from Coningsby, equipped with the Tallboy
bomb, sank the Tirpitz in Operation Catechism.

Has anyone told IX Sqn whose base was Bardney? (The raid was actually flown from Lossie).

Fox3WheresMyBanana
11th May 2013, 21:52
I had the pleasure of meeting some of them at the 50th, being lucky enough to co-pilot the Devon that brought in the Chaplain-in-Chief for the service.

Remarkable men.

Chugalug2
12th May 2013, 12:50
BBC TV Centre in London is no more...

...Shock Horror Probe Scoop! :-

BBC to spend £3million a year... renting back Television Centre it's just left | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2301778/BBC-spend-3million-year--renting-Television-Centre-just-left.html)

just another jocky
13th May 2013, 12:48
From the "Project Propeller" link...

Quote:

On 12 November, Lancaster aircraft from Coningsby, equipped with the Tallboy
bomb, sank the Tirpitz in Operation Catechism.

Has anyone told IX Sqn whose base was Bardney? (The raid was actually flown from Lossie).

Why would anyone want to tell the Sqn that arrived after the Tirpitz had been terminally hit by 617 Sqn (with their precision bomb sights)?

Wensleydale
13th May 2013, 13:18
Why would anyone want to tell the Sqn that arrived after the Tirpitz
had been terminally hit by 617 Sqn (with their precision bomb sights)?

Far too predictably easy to wind up!!!!!! Tirpitz received many hits during the attack and it is impossible to state categorically which squadron sank her (It's a typical QI "nobody knows"). Its about time some people grew up and accepted that it was a joint responsibility!

MightyGem
13th May 2013, 13:28
I see that 'elf and safety strikes for the flyover of Derwent Water:
But thanks to the health-and-safety brigade, few members of the public will be able to be there, too.
Severn Trent Water, which owns the dam, and other public sector ‘stakeholders’ have decreed heavy traffic on country lanes would pose an unacceptable threat to the emergency services. So there can be no official event at the Derwent Dam.
Read more: Dambusters v Elf 'n' Safety: On the 70th anniversary of their legendary raid, jobsworths have banned the war's bravest airmen - and the public - from an official fly-past honouring their courage | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2323508/Dambusters-v-Elf-n-Safety-On-70th-anniversary-legendary-raid-jobsworths-banned-wars-bravest-airmen--public--official-fly-past-honouring-courage.html#ixzz2TBA3KcDx)
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter (http://ec.tynt.com/b/rw?id=bBOTTqvd0r3Pooab7jrHcU&u=MailOnline) | DailyMail on Facebook (http://ec.tynt.com/b/rf?id=bBOTTqvd0r3Pooab7jrHcU&u=DailyMail)

500N
13th May 2013, 13:32
Mighty Gem

I just read that on line and was going to post.

Couldn't believe it.

Wander00
13th May 2013, 15:30
I almost cannot believe it, and so wish it was not true. God Bless Them All

CoffmanStarter
13th May 2013, 16:11
Right you are Ops ... New tasking 617 ...

Couple of GBU-27 Paveway III's should be fine ...

Grid reference: SP336786

:E

Wensleydale
13th May 2013, 16:29
Grid reference: SP336786

The middle of Coventry?

CoffmanStarter
13th May 2013, 16:47
HQ Severn Trent Water ...

Always Up
13th May 2013, 18:13

To themselves.

CG (in awe)

Totally agree, these gentlemen have and will always have my utmost respect. I owe them such a debt, here's to you Sir.

just another jocky
13th May 2013, 20:20
Far too predictably easy to wind up!!!!!! Tirpitz received many hits during the attack and it is impossible to state categorically which squadron sank her (It's a typical QI "nobody knows"). Its about time some people grew up and accepted that it was a joint responsibility!

In that case why did you only mention IX Sqn? Chances are, it was 617 as they had far superior and more accurate bomb sights.

And I've spoken with a tail gunner from the raid who saw the boat start to go before IX arrived.

But as you say, in fact we will never know for sure; I was just trying to see why you hadn't included both sqns. :ok:

Lima Juliet
13th May 2013, 22:25
I see the RAF website can't bring itself to mention the name of Guy Gibson's black labrador "Nigger" - RAF - Dambusters Crew and Code WordsDambusters Crew and Code Words (http://www.raf.mod.uk/history/dambusterscrewandcodewords.cfm)

What is the world coming to when you can't use a historical name in its own context! :ugh::ugh::ugh:

Remember "Never mind the bollocks, it's the sex pistols..." furrore? In the end the word "bollocks" was actually deemed ok as it was referring to the clergy and not in another context!

LJ

500N
13th May 2013, 22:42
That is bad.

Wensleydale
14th May 2013, 07:36
But as you say, in fact we will never know for sure; I was just trying to see
why you hadn't included both sqns

I had.... in an earlier post. The propellers web site linked above had stated that it was aircraft from Coningsby that had sunk the Tirpitz. My attempt to correct this by adding the Bardney Sqn received the anticipated childish "they didn't sink it - 617 did". The fact remains that nobody knows which bomb of the many that struck actually caused the Tirpitz to sink. As someone with connections to the old "Base 53", I naturally wanted to put matters straight, although I find IX Sqn also somewhat guilty of pettiness. Perhaps I should start a campaign to attribute the sinking to JO-F "Whoa Bessie" of Waddington's 463 Sqn flown by Bruce Buckham's crew - that aircraft was also on the raid as the camera platform for the 5 Group Film Unit.

Tankertrashnav
14th May 2013, 09:30
To expand on the details given in Coffman Starter's post, the medals in the picture which may be unfamiliar to many of us are the Companion's Badge of the New Zealand Order of Merit (worn around the neck) which replaced various British orders when New Zealand adopted its own system in 1996, and the Queen's Service Order (seen between Sqn Ldr Munro's DSO and DFC) which came in in 1975 and is restricted to 30 new members of the order per annum.

Halton Brat
14th May 2013, 17:53
I have copy/pasted the post below from a thread that I contributed to for last year's Op Chastise anniversary; I do this for anyone that may not be so fortunate as many PPRuNers in being able to readily experience these places up-close. I promise not to wheel it out again!

Two weeks ago, I decided to visit the Moehne, Eder & Sorpe dams as my own tribute to the brave men of 617 Sqn. Departing my base on the Mosel river, I mounted my trusty motorcycle and sallied forth, terrifying sundry old ladies along my route.

The end of day 1 saw me with an ar$e like a Japanese flag, and positioned for an overnight stay in Guetersloh town, my stamping ground for 4yrs in the mid/late 80's. Dear God, the Army have turned the main gate of the camp into a fortress; however, I was able to glimpse the Sgt's Mess from the roadway. I tried to conjure up memories of the bar therein, but gave up.

Day 2 noon & I'm sitting on the parapet of the Moehne dam with my decrepit c.1960 Pan paperback Dambusters book (Brickhill), reading the account of the attack. All very vivid, and the water level was as high as it was in 1943 - very near the top of the dam. I was able to find clear evidence of .303 bullet strikes on the coping stones of the parapets - those on the towers seem to have been airbrushed out. 617's gunners had been busy indeed.

So, jumping onto Mr Honda's finest, I tore off south to the Sorpe (30mins ride). The very different construction of this dam is evident; massive earth banking fore & aft of a concrete core. I couldn't really see how they expected to crack this one - the weapon was delivered by flying along parallel to the line of the dam, and was not rotated before release. 617 did re-arrange the parapet promenade though.

On the bike again & off to the Eder (great weather all 3 days of the trip). This is a c.2hr ride east through lovely country (or c.15mins in a Lancaster, if you are pushed for time.....).

The Eder dam is of a similar construction to the Moehne. Although 617 did not encounter AAA here (the Germans thought its' best defence was the local terrain), the flying required to drop the weapon here was truly breathtaking. Diving steeply to water level via the valley just west of Schloss Waldeck, then turning c.90' left over the spit of land which extends from the south shore, they had 5-6 seconds to establish speed & height before reaching the drop point c.400m from the dam. Beyond the dam, the terrain immediately rises sharply on the left & in front; a very hard climbing turn to the right would be required, and all of this at night. The night of the attack was a full moon; staying at the very nice hotel on the north shore, close to the dam, I was able to walk along the dam on the first-quarter moon-lit night of my visit. The night was gin-clear; though 617 had a full moon, I marvelled at the bravery and skill of these very young men on that night 69 years ago.

I salute them all.

HB

ian16th
14th May 2013, 22:27
........in the Torygraph.

Unseen Photographs Behind the Scenes of The Dam Busters - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/10056526/Unseen-Photographs-Behind-the-Scenes-of-The-Dam-Busters.html?frame=2562410)

Trumpet_trousers
15th May 2013, 12:05
I remember going on an organised tour for the 50th anniversary of the raid, and in our group (there were several buses, ours was fortunate enough to have Hopgood's sister onboard, the first time she had visited the place, which was quite emotional in itself.)
After the planned synopsis of the raid was given by (I think,) Alan Cooper, he asked if there were any questions... "Yes," pipes up a guy from our bus, "how many nights a week did they do this?" Cue gasps of astonishment and disbelief from the rest of the crowd... needless to say, our man didn't ask any further questions after that...
Several years ago, I also visited the Ennepe dam, which was quite difficult to find (by car) and lying in quite a steep valley, so it would have been as challenging to attack as the Eder. I have some photos I took of both the Moehne and Eder dams, and the repair work is quite easy to make out, even to this day, particularly so for the Eder. :ok:

54Phan
15th May 2013, 13:18
..is from Gibson's time commanding 106 Squadron. Note 1 percent of Avro Manchester production parked in the background.

They also misspelled "Spam" Spafford's surname.

Anyway, I have a 1/48th Dambuster Lancaster model in the pile, probably a good time to pull it out and start on it.

Alber Ratman
15th May 2013, 19:46
Good book to read about 617's and IX's efforts in 44 and 45 with the Tallboy and Grand Slam weapons is Stephen Flowers "Barnes Wallis' Bombs"..

BEagle
16th May 2013, 07:20
Well, at least this thread ran to 2 pages before someone had to mention that $odding dog....:ugh:

I recall bumbling around the Edersee in a canoe during EX KING ROCK 1969 from RAFC - but far more fun was flying an F-4 around the dam on the 40th anniversary of the raid during EX. BOLD GAUNTLET 83....:ok:

The Gutersloh SNavO had failed to tell us that it was 'strengstens verboten' to do such a thing. Good job we didn't tell him about the Mohne.

Still, no-one complained.

Wensleydale
16th May 2013, 07:49
mention that $odding dog

Was at the showing of the film followed by a champagne reception at Woodhall Spa last night. You will be happy to know that the original 1950s sound track was used.

I wonder how many of the free commemorative booklets will be on a certain auction site by the end of the day?

Whenurhappy
16th May 2013, 07:55
Here’s an extremely good analysis of the raid by Dan Snow, courtesy of the BBC. Reappraisal of OP CHASTISE (http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22510300)

In many respects this Operation presaged many facets of the Revolution in Military Affairs of the early 1990s, such as Effects based operations, the use of elite crews, precision weapons, discrete and scientific targeting…

And pause to remember the 52 aircrew – all volunteers - who died and the thousands of civilians, POWs and forced labourers who also perished during the attack and in the aftermath.

One comment, however: Air Chief Marshal Sir Arthur ‘Bomber’ Harris, as CinC Bomber Command, according to the article above, was dismissive of the effects of the raid. I have Sir Arthur Harris’s ‘Bomber Offensive’ in my office; quite the contrary – he stresses the impact on canal navigation and industrial production as a result of the raid and explains why there weren’t follow-up attacks. He also wrote his book at the end of the war, when UPKEEP – the ‘bouncing bomb’ - was still on the Secret list.

Chugalug2
16th May 2013, 08:29
Thanks for the anecdote re Bomber Harris, wuh. Perhaps now that his old lags are properly commemorated, after too many years by far, it might be time to restore his reputation amongst his own Service if nowhere else. The pride that the Royal Air Force has rightly expressed since WW2 over the subject exploits of this thread was not similarly expressed over those of Main Force, when almost every night was one of Maximum Effort.
I am the first to concede that it is like comparing an Épée to a Cudgel, but both had their uses and in this case one purpose, to win the war as quickly as possible.

TEEEJ
16th May 2013, 08:46
The Royal Air Force will for the first time transmit on Twitter the original wireless telegraphy signals of the famous Second World War “Dambuster” air raid on the Ruhr valley dams.

On the 70th anniversary of the raid, Thursday, 16th May, the tweets, which will substitute the original Morse code signals, will be posted on the RAF’s official Twitter account (See Link) minute by minute as the raid originally occurred. As well as the wireless telegraphy, additional tweets will be posted that will illuminate unfolding events that were unknown at the time, such as when aircraft were lost during the action.

PPRuNe = The 'T' word

https://twitter.com/RoyalAirForceUK

Experience The ?Dambusters ? Raid Minute By Minute On Twitter (http://www.raf.mod.uk/news/archive/experience-the-dambusters--raid-minute-by-minute-on-twitter-13052013)

tonker
16th May 2013, 08:56
There is a Dambusters App if anyone's interested. Bloody hard :-/

Wander00
16th May 2013, 09:23
The house in Grantham that was the HQ of 5 Gp subsequently became Grantham Register Office, where in July 1984 Mrs W and I were wed. A few weeks ago I was watching "the" film when I realised that they had filmed part of the movie there ("Gibson" being told to form 617). As he left the building we realised that some of the trees there when they filmed had still been there when we were married.

Greatest respect for all those who took part, and RiP those who never returned and those who have died since.

30mRad
16th May 2013, 11:34
I've signed up to get the minute by minute Tweets, and without wishing to sound "soppy" it's quite moving - just got the news that AJ-B hit power lines.

Whenurhappy
16th May 2013, 11:52
Chugs,

I would commend everyone to read Harris's 'Bomber Offensive' (1947). His bitterness of the way that BC was treated is ill-concealed and his is pretty forthright throughout, and of course, paints himself in a better light that most revisionist historians have. Only when reading ti does one apprecaite the enormity of the task of running the Command, as well as dealing with the bureacracy (and interference) of the Ministry fo Aircraft Supply and the Air Staff.

I picked up my copy last year at OXFAM for a princely GBP 3.99. Damn fine read.

SOSL
16th May 2013, 13:25
Wish I'd booked a room for tonight, at Petwood House, when I was there last year. Anyone know what's happening there?

Rgds SOS

Wander00
16th May 2013, 16:04
We have a couple of gites here in the Vendee - Hair is standing up on my neck - woman in one gite - her parents turned up last night on their way south. Dad is German. Talking just now and subject of the Dams Raid came up - Fritz (that is his name!) says - "I remember it well - morning after the raid as a 4 year old I went to look at the Edersee and went back and told my parents someone had pulled the plug out!" Spooky or what!

sisemen
16th May 2013, 16:10
Planning a "post mission bacon and eggs" night at chez sisemen tomorrow evening together with a screening of the non-PC 1955 film. Fortunately I have another ex RAF compadre to show the rest of the local colonials what it's all about :E

collbar
16th May 2013, 18:50
Just watching the BBC tribute and wondering what the hole on the upper surface of the Lancaster is for?
Its clearly visible from the camera shot taken from the upper gun turret, I think the hole is just forward from the turret.
Anybody know what its for!

RetiredBA/BY
16th May 2013, 19:11
Just watched the BBC broadcast from Scampton. The Royal Air Force really excelled, again, a superb parade and service, in memory of an extraordinary operation. Hearty congratulations to all involved.

Made me proud to have been just a very tiny part of the then Bomber Command in the Valiant days.

aw ditor
16th May 2013, 19:12
Carrier Pigeon?

green granite
16th May 2013, 19:15
Oh dear Oh dear, that probably was the worst coverage of any event that I've ever seen from the BBC, A presenter with a total lack of interviewing skills, interviews done during a fly past, A camera dollied intrusively and disrespectfully between the guests and the colours and for most of the Lancs fly past we just watched the four people on the flight deck. I wont go on

Parade it's self..........brilliant and very well presented by the RAF.

Wensleydale
16th May 2013, 19:19
Just watching the BBC tribute and wondering what the hole on the upper
surface of the Lancaster is for?
Its clearly visible from the camera shot
taken from the upper gun turret, I think the hole is just forward from the
turret.
Anybody know what its for!

The holes are the two upper escape hatches. They were made of wood (as was the rear door) to prevent warping in the cold temperatures at altitude so that they did not jam. The Lanc tonight had the hatches removed.

Wish I'd booked a room for tonight, at Petwood House, when I was there last
year. Anyone know what's happening there?

The event in the Petwood was last night (Weds), organised by Aviation Heritage Lincolnshire. A Lancaster and GR4 flypast was followed by the screening of the 1955 Dambusters film in the "Kinema in the Woods" - an original 1920s cinema next door to the Petwood. Afterwards was a champagne reception in the Petwood. All black tie and miniatures of course. Johnny Johnson and Barnes-Wallace's daughter both in attendance. A good night was had by all. Well done to Phil and Dave who organised it.

Wensleydale
16th May 2013, 19:22
Carrier Pigeon?

Not a silly suggestion as a carrier pigeon (sometimes 2) was carried on each operational bomber sortie until November 1943. (After then, survival dinghies with radios were available to the crews).

skua
16th May 2013, 19:25
GG
agreed. The Beeb are getting worse. Having a Welsh rugby commentator in a lead role. Gets his timing wrong, slows his speech to accord with the arrival of "two Tor-na-do G-R-4 Figh-ters"...
Fighters! Butler write one thousand times "617 was and is a bomber squadron"......

Robert Cooper
16th May 2013, 19:28
There is an emergency exit forward of the mid-upper turret, which is probably what you saw.

Bob C

Yellow Son
16th May 2013, 19:36
Oh dear Oh dear, that probably was the worst coverage of any event that I've ever seen from the BBC

You didn't catch the Jubilee River Pageant, then? And to be fair, the cockpit shots might well have been interesting to the general public.

But whatever a single-buttocked job the Beeb managed, what a fine tribute the event itself was. Wish I'd been there.

Tashengurt
16th May 2013, 20:24
The Sky reporter was waving around one of the famous wooden bomb sights. Were these real or a best guess of a still classified item?

Posted from Pprune.org App for Android

TEEEJ
16th May 2013, 21:53
See following, Tashengurt.

Gallery (http://www.breakingthedams.com/gallery.html)

Windy Militant
16th May 2013, 22:08
Tashengurt as mentioned in TEEEJs link many of the Bomb aimers used string and chinagraph marks instead of the wooden sight. One of the documentaries recently possibly the channel 4 Dambusters: Building the Bouncing Bomb. demonstrated how they did it. Apparently the string method ensured that the same eye position was maintained to the air frame, which the wooden one didn't and which was enough to put the bomb off target.

See here second photo.
BBC Radio 2 - RAF Scampton photo tour (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/galleries/p0194fd6)

cynicalint
16th May 2013, 23:41
70 years ago NOW the dam burst. _. .. --. --. . .-. NIGGER

pr00ne
17th May 2013, 00:10
"70 years ago NOW the dam burst:"

And within minutes 1,700 civilians were drowned. Including 700 Female Slave workers from the Ukraine, a 90 year old Grandmother and a 6 month old baby..

War is just horrid.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
17th May 2013, 00:35
Has 'The Merchant of Venice' been banned because of its treatment of Jews?

Then why is the RAF self-censoring?

sisemen
17th May 2013, 01:20
Nice one pr00ne :yuk:

You could always celebrate by donning your anorak and marching with the ban-the-bombers or crawl into your self-righteous cave.

Yes, war is horrible but, to quote Basil Fawlty, "Well, we didn't start it".

500N
17th May 2013, 01:25
+1 to the above.

And :D to this "Well, we didn't start it". :ok:

BEagle
17th May 2013, 05:20
To quote Pvt Baldrick:

Hear the words I sing,
War's a horrid thing,
So I sing sing sing...
...ding-a-ling-a-ling.

Analysis of which by Capt. E. Blackadder was as follows:

"It started badly, it tailed off a little in the middle and the less said about the end the better — but apart from that it was excellent."

Thanks to Sky TV, I was able to watch the coverage from Scampton on Look North yesterday evening - very good. Then later the movie itself on DVD - still good after nearly 60 years!

India Four Two
17th May 2013, 06:54
I was delighted to see that Les Munro was there.

When I was in NZ last year, I bought a book of interviews with the crews - the title escapes me. My wife was looking at it and said "It's used! Someone has written on the title page." "What does it say?""There are some words and a signature - Les Munro". "That's not a used book; that's been signed by one of the pilots!"

Interestingly,Les's Lancaster was hit by flak on the inbound track and the intercom was disabled, so they had to abort, since the intercom was vital in getting the height right on the bomb run. He ascribes his survival as probably due to that lucky hit.

collbar
17th May 2013, 07:06
ahhh an escape hatch cheers!!...seems obvious now doh!

1.3VStall
17th May 2013, 07:18
Skua, I'm with you. Why anyone puts Butler behind a microphone is beyond me. He was a useless pratt when he played for Wales and he has remained consistent ever since!

His ill-informed and ill-timed drivel detracted from what, otherwise, was a superb event.

XV490
17th May 2013, 08:39
I couldn't help but feel the BBC were an imposition on, if not an obstruction in, an almost private RAF event, especially given how uncomfortable some of the esteemed guests appeared when Dan Snow (who managed at least three uses of "iconic") went among them.
And, true to form, the Beeb's caption team managed to put 'Air Vice Marshall' on screen despite presumably having plenty of research material. The Corporation would have done better to have taken a step back and let the ceremony speak for itself.

Yellow Son
17th May 2013, 09:16
I couldn't help but feel the BBC were an imposition on, if not an obstruction
in, an almost private RAF event

Let's agree that the Beeb didn't make a great job of it (to put it mildly). In addition to all the other criticisms, decent researchers might have let the commentary point out the rather nice symmetry of Barnes Wallis' design for the VG 'Swallow' prefiguring the Tornado by a few decades!

But . . . at least they gave an hour of time to it; the public perhaps won't be as picky as we might be, and on balance it's surely good that plenty of people will have had the chance to see the event. It does no harm to keep reminding the taxpayers what airpower can do.

It's just a pity that the rather well-done follow-up Timewatch documentary was on so late last night. Good to hear a young historian tell the revisionists where to stick their 'no value' assessments of Chastise. OK, it took the Germans 'only' 5 months to sort it all out. If it wasn't any big deal, how come they devoted that much effort at a stage when they were struggling? And when Rommel arrived to take over the Atlantic Wall he found several holes in it - resources had been busy repairing the Ruhr! So ask the guys on D-Day if they think Chastise had been useful.

Alber Ratman
17th May 2013, 09:47
BBC website have Mick Martin listed as a pom.. Errh, no he wasn't..

November4
17th May 2013, 11:52
Just been listening to Jeremy Vine in Radio 2....

this is the only place in the world you will see a Lancaster

...repeated several times as he reports on the BBMF Lancaster landing at Biggin Hill today.

Gave up as his excited breathless reporting was too much. He did admit that he is not an aviation aficionado.....No? Really?

CoffmanStarter
17th May 2013, 13:50
I thought our Royal Air Force was a shining example last night with the Ceremony held at RAF Scampton. Just the right balance to commemorate all the crews that took part in Operation Chastise and the salute to those that never returned from the mission.

Just in case some people missed the BBC 2 coverage ... it has just been released on iPlayer.

BBC iPlayer The Dambusters 70 Years On (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01sjtzt/The_Dambusters_70_Years_On/)

Just a shame the commentators made a few gaffs ...

During the Guard of Honour Right Dress ... Eddie Butler said "there's a bit of shuffling about" :ugh:

Just before the 617 Squadron Standard was Marched On ... Eddie Butler said of the Standard "it's an important badge" :ugh:

Here are some screen grabs of the BBC 2 OB for friends overseas without access to VPN to view iPlayer :ok:

All images are from the BBC.

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af162/CoffmanStarter/70DB01_zpsd23baba4.jpg

Well played F/L Dunlop and crew :D

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af162/CoffmanStarter/70DB03_zps23e8c3c2.jpg

Well played F/O Ward immaculate drill :D

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af162/CoffmanStarter/70DB02_zps98ef9de6.jpg

Arrival timing ... perfect :D

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af162/CoffmanStarter/70DB04_zpsec78f429.jpg

Nice appropriate words from AVM Atha :D

Best regards ...

Coff.

TEEEJ
17th May 2013, 14:11
Also available on BBC iPlayer

BBC iPlayer - Timewatch: Dam Busters: The Race to Smash the German Dams (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0175nh1/Timewatch_Dam_Busters_The_Race_to_Smash_the_German_Dams/)

BBC iPlayer - Dambusters Declassified: Dambusters Declassified (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p009z3tc/Dambusters_Declassified_Dambusters_Declassified/)

just another jocky
17th May 2013, 14:17
At 22:00 in the programme from last night, one of the Spits has a tail wheel, the other doesn't appear to. Is it retractable or......well, what? Anyone know?

chopd95
17th May 2013, 16:22
Butler and Snow aside,

A well executed tribute by all comcerned
- to borrow the well-known phrase, dust in the eyes here.

cuefaye
17th May 2013, 18:52
And as said previously, that in credible fool Vine.

We talked of it all in my local at teatime; and how good it was to see the younger ones showing so much interest, and respect.

charliegolf
17th May 2013, 20:32
Mainly due to not actively seeking out production details to list and bleat about, I suspect I may have enjoyed the spectacle more than most.

It was great.

CG

brokenlink
17th May 2013, 21:01
Was lucky enough to be at the service in Lincoln Cathedral today. Superb event, Standard Party were immaculate and the flyby by the GR4's a wonderful prelude to the 4 circuits of the Lancaster over the Cathedral grounds. Bit windy which probably accounted for the dust getting into my eyes when the Merlins echoed across the city! Well done to all involved, especially the 617 crews who displayed such courage and fortitude in May 1943 and have continued to do so ever since.

TEEEJ
17th May 2013, 22:33
Just another jocky wrote

At 22:00 in the programme from last night, one of the Spits has a tail wheel, the other doesn't appear to. Is it retractable or......well, what? Anyone know?

Going by the footage it would have been Spitfire PR Mk XIX, serial PS915, that had the tail leg down. The other Spitfire PR Mk XIX would have been PM631.

RAF BBMF - Spitfire PS915 (Mk PRXIX) (http://www.raf.mod.uk/bbmf/theaircraft/spitfireps915.cfm)

RAF BBMF - Spitfire PM631 (Mk PRXIX) (http://www.raf.mod.uk/bbmf/theaircraft/spitfirepm631.cfm)

Possibly PS915 had the tail leg locked down due to on-going maintenance? See following reason for locked tail leg on PM631 during 2008.

BBMF Spitfire XIX (http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?84599-BBMF-Spitfire-XIX&p=1301530#post1301530)

BBMF Spitfire XIX (http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?84599-BBMF-Spitfire-XIX)

Wander00
18th May 2013, 15:09
"The" film on Channel 5 at present

MightyGem
18th May 2013, 15:15
Good picture of the Derwent flypast, from yesterday's Daily Mail:
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/05/17/article-2326119-19D0B829000005DC-713_634x435.jpg

How the Dambusters saw it: Lancaster's on-board camera captures aerial gunner's view of Derwent Valley flypast to mark 70th anniversary of daring raid | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2326119/How-Dambusters-saw-Lancasters-board-camera-captures-aerial-gunners-view-Derwent-Valley-flypast-mark-70th-anniversary-daring-raid.html)

charliegolf
18th May 2013, 15:46
I'm watching the filum as I type. Were there any losses during training?

CG

Wensleydale
18th May 2013, 19:12
Anyone know when 633 Sqn have the 70th anniversary of their raid on Norway?

The Oberon
18th May 2013, 19:23
Half way through "The film", the Vulcan turned up and performed over Scampton. Nice to see it again and as impressive as ever.

Fishtailed
19th May 2013, 23:18
Did anyone see the programme on the re-attempt to make a bouncing bomb dropped by a Douglas DC4 in Canada, a good show I thought.

Alber Ratman
20th May 2013, 00:52
I watch the sunset ceremony and though it was very nice.. My only gripe was it seemed that a squardons standard was paraded by nobody from the squadron it belonged to! I can only hope the Standard bearer was from 617, because everyone else certainly wasn't!

In my humble opinion.

howiehowie93
20th May 2013, 03:05
A friend of mine was certainly in the right place at the right time and caught this on her phone:

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv20/howiehowie93/2013-05-18001655_zpsb9f48d5d.jpg

Then someone else was near the Cathedral:

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv20/howiehowie93/2013-05-18172501_zpsbbebe35b.jpg

Must be something in my eye...........

CoffmanStarter
20th May 2013, 06:47
Caught up with my weekend Sky Plus now ... Glad to have seen C5 screened the proper version of the film ... Correct dogs name and code word :ok:

Lancman
20th May 2013, 08:33
I see that he only got one of the skittles on the top of the tower. :D

30mRad
20th May 2013, 09:13
Alber Ratman My only gripe was it seemed that a squardons standard was paraded by nobody from the squadron it belonged to!

I can confirm that the Standard Bearer, and Standard Party, are all currently serving on 617 Sqn.

Alber Ratman
20th May 2013, 09:21
Thanks 30mRad for clarifying that.

Ray Dahvectac
20th May 2013, 10:16
The standard party at Woodhall Spa yesterday. Smart but, for some reason, unarmed. In my Sqn Standard Party days that never happened - anyone know the reason?

I don't think the two gentlemen in the foreground minded too much though. Well done to all concerned, especially the immaculate flypast timings at the start and end of the minute's silence. :D

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y211/LincsLad/WS2_zps73de85bf.jpg

And here's the new 617 memorial:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y211/LincsLad/ws4_zps8aa9c8f3.jpg

Wrathmonk
26th May 2013, 15:37
Correct dogs name and code word

Unlike the RAFs very own website which has gone for the PC, ignore history, option ....

Clicky here (http://www.raf.mod.uk/history/dambusterscrewandcodewords.cfm) (scroll down to the bottom of the page, under the codeword DINGHY).

Milarity
26th May 2013, 21:48
Not a single nibble Wensley. See you on the 6th?

500N
26th May 2013, 22:12
Question re the 617 Squadron memorial.

Why does it use 1945 as the date ?

As in "they gave their lives since 1945"

Thanks in advance.

Halton Brat
27th May 2013, 02:14
How odd, 500N. Given that 617 formed on 21 March 1943, why exclude those that died before 1945, including their "Finest Hour", Op Chastise?

I'm sure that the 617 WW2 vets present at the ceremony must have wondered at this!

HB

500N
27th May 2013, 02:17
Halton Brat

Good, I'm glad I'm not the only one who wondered.

And yes, like you, I was thinking of the 1943 date
and Chastise.

Hopefully someone else will come along and provide
an explanation.

Robert Cooper
27th May 2013, 03:30
To commemorate the post-WW II servicemen, 617 Squadron Aircrew Association erected a second memorial on a site adjacent to their wartime memorial. The memorial takes the form of a 3 metre high black granite pyramid, and a projecting triangular pediment carries the Squadron badge and the inscription: “In Memory of all members of No. 617 Sqn RAF who gave their lives since 1945 in the service of their country. We will remember them”

I think that is what is in the pictures above..

Bob C

Halton Brat
27th May 2013, 03:39
As always, Mr C, accurate & to the point!

Many thanks!

HB

500N
27th May 2013, 03:57
Robert

Thanks, understand now.

S'land
7th Jun 2013, 11:42
Somewhat late (I only found it myself yesterday), but an interesting interview with the last Dambuster living in the UK.

Sorry, I tried to post the link, but could not get it to work.

Go to the BBC History Magazine podcast pagehttp://www.historyextra.com/podcasts (http://http://www.historyextra.com/podcasts) and download the file for 25 April 2013.

A truly remarkable man, as were they all.