PDA

View Full Version : Inside HMAS Canberra

Buster Hyman
10th May 2013, 14:10
The things ya learn on the Internet...

HMAS Canberra will be commanded by a Canadian! And the USS Canberra was the only US ship to bear the name of a foreign capitol city...well there you go.

There is also a law prohibiting the export of US Navy artefacts (apparently) however, an agreement was reached whereby the bell of the USS Canberra was presented to Oz! You learn something everyday. :ok:

http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2013/05/10/1226639/650787-hmas-canberra.jpg

Cookies must be enabled | Herald Sun (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/technology/exclusive-report-inside-hmas-canberra/story-fn7celvh-1226639639652)

SASless
10th May 2013, 14:49
We also named a Ship for a British fellow named Winston too.

Link to the USS Canberra info site.

USN Ships--USS Canberra (CA-70, later CAG-2) (http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/sh-usn/usnsh-c/ca70.htm)

Was she named for the City of Canberra or for the Cruiser Canberra that was sunk off Guadalcanal?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
10th May 2013, 15:14
It's a Spanish design, and they have Harriers. Not sure why the RAN kept it, but probably handy for cross-decking harriers/F-35B

very old flyer
10th May 2013, 15:45
The ski-jump was retained because it was cheaper to build it as was, as opposed to a re-design!

Airborne Aircrew
10th May 2013, 15:48
Who is the twelve year old on the right??????

galaxy flyer
10th May 2013, 17:35
There is also a law prohibiting the export of US Navy artefacts (apparently) however, an agreement was reached whereby the bell of the USS Canberra was presented to Oz! You learn something everyday

Not so sure about that, I brought the anchor off the USS Coral Sea to Townsville, years ago.

GF

500N
10th May 2013, 18:49
Interesting article and timely.

I saw it the other day as we drove past and thought it looked huge.
I have been used to seeing all the smaller ships built there.

radarman
10th May 2013, 20:16
It's a Spanish design :eek::eek:

Kodachrome
11th May 2013, 05:01
SASless it was named for the cruiser.

According to no less a source than Wikipedia.

Ken Borough
11th May 2013, 08:05
Hey Buster! I thought that you were taught to talk and write proper English....without wanting to be a 'Grammar Nazi', I thought that Canberra is a capital, as opposed to capitol, city! Am confident it's a typo. :ok::ok:

603DX
11th May 2013, 10:25
Who is the twelve year old on the right??????

Seems it's "Able Seaperson" Roma Scheepers, Airborne Aircrew. And mighty pleased she looks, to be up there in the Captain's gang as a crew member. Good on her! :ok:

spInY nORmAn
11th May 2013, 20:06
I'm somewhat intrigued by the use of camo style uniforms on board a ship. What exactly is the purpose of this? I can see the need for it if they are performing shore duties in a combat area but making themselves harder to spot on-board seems - well, "odd". Can someone more knowledgeable of such things enlighten me?

Airborne Aircrew
11th May 2013, 20:29
I'm somewhat intrigued by the use of camo style uniforms on board a ship.

Navy... Wannabee warriors eh?

http://www.hqrafregiment.net/images/smilies/fishing.gif

Buster Hyman
11th May 2013, 23:18
Am confident it's a typo.Auto-spell, typo, abused as a child...insert your excuse of choice. :hmm:

;);););):p

I'm somewhat intrigued by the use of camo style uniforms on board a ship.What camo uniforms? All I see is the deck & the Bridge superstructure... :confused:

Ascend Charlie
12th May 2013, 01:56
Ahh, you will see them when they put their Hi-Vis jackets on for flight ops.:hmm:

dat581
12th May 2013, 02:07
I asked a serving RAN officer about the camo uniforms and what the point was since plain grey blends into the ship and the pattern does not. His answer: The Army and Air Force use them and we felt left out!

Buster Hyman
12th May 2013, 02:50
The Army and Air Force use them and we felt left out!
Your tax dollars at work right there! :ugh:

:p;):p

cattletruck
12th May 2013, 08:00
To be a truly camouflaged shipborne uniform it should sport some grease stains, rust marks, weld seams, ripple marks, and some wet spots. :}

rjtjrt
12th May 2013, 08:35
The Canadians are doing rather well - HMAS Choules, bought "pre loved" from UK last year.
First CO in RAN service was a Canadian gentleman.

Blacksheep
12th May 2013, 09:54
I see "Village People" has acquired a new character - a Ship Safety Officer.