PDA

View Full Version : Pilot medicals

Arnold E
10th May 2013, 08:57
Has anyone here had any practical experience of using a car licence medical in lieu of an aviation medical (class 2 ) for a ppl, or is this not a goer yet?

Whoops, wrong thread, sorry :uhoh:

skipper1981
11th May 2013, 00:11
Yes,I have one.Got it last October.Go to CASA Website,download 3 pages.You complete your part (the 1st and 2nd page,your GP fills in the last one,and you then email it back to Avmed.Igot mine back with approval to fly the same day.There are conditions,and you can read those on the website.

QFF
12th May 2013, 09:05
Agreed. The main gotcha is that in order to get the CASA "driver's licence" medical, one must qualify for an UNCONDITIONAL driver's medical. Any medical conditions (like high blood pressure, I understand) apparently puts a condition on your driver's licence (e.g. a 2yrly medical examination) and automatically disqualifies you from going down that route as far as CASA is concerned.

So while it looked like a good way of getting a medical via the back door, in practice, if one qualified for an unrestricted driver's medical, one should qualify for a Class 2 as well, the main difference being the cost and bureaucratic red-tape.

Straight from the horse's mouth:
Civil Aviation Safety Authority - Driver Licence Medical (Aviation) (http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_100908)

VH-XXX
12th May 2013, 23:21
Don't forget the limitations on aircraft. 1 informed pax, 1500kg's mtow and VFR etc. There may be more that I am forgetting right now...