PDA

View Full Version : Sic transit gloria

4Greens
9th May 2013, 18:54
Just been watching a bad taste presentation of a tribute to the Merchant Navy and the Battle of the Atlantic on board HMS Illustrious. This has a skijump etc but no aircraft. A short talk by Captain Brown and then lots of jokes by the presenters.

The flypast was by a Swordfish and four helos.

Couldn't stand it anymore and switched off.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
9th May 2013, 18:58
The flypast was by a Swordfish and four helos.

So, they put on a Review of the entire Fleet!

What more do you want? ;)

DX Wombat
9th May 2013, 19:04
Dan Wotsisname also claimed that HRH Prince William flew the (RN) Sea King at Anglesey. :confused:

goudie
9th May 2013, 19:09
Worth watching for the helo landing, and the ship being guided through the Thames barrier. I couldn't understand, though, why a small parade of sailors had to stand there in the background, for no apparent reason, throughout the entire programme.

Old-Duffer
9th May 2013, 19:31
Did anybody notice that Alex Jones mentioned the 'sunrise ceremony' as the ensign came down?

Old Duffer

skua
9th May 2013, 19:39
As an object lesson in the dumbing down of British TV it could not be bettered.

TheWizard
9th May 2013, 20:06
Cue unannounced RN Merlin landing on Lusty
"Wow, it's quite noisy"
"Amazing skill to get it on to the ground" - yes, tricky those flat stationary landing platforms

I thought the best bit was Eddy Izzard recalling how "Napoleon" used to bring his ship back up the Thames!! (to be fair he subsequently corrected himself to Nelson. Apparently he has dyslexia!)

Heathrow Harry
10th May 2013, 14:21
nelson or napoleon?

melmothtw
10th May 2013, 14:38
I know it's par for the course for some of those on PPRuNe to pick holes and vent their moral indignation whenever the media falls short of their lofty expectations, but at least get it right. I've already had to correct one poster on a parallel thread who attributed an incorrect quote to Eddy Izzard about landing the Merlin on a moving deck, and the same thing is going on here.

"Amazing skill to get it on to the ground" - yes, tricky those flat stationary landing platform

As you could plainly see, the conditions were rather tricky and the pilot did appear to having some difficulty in getting the thing on the deck.

Dan Wotsisname also claimed that HRH Prince William flew the (RN) Sea King at Anglesey. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/confused.gif

That's rather disingenuous. It was clear watching it that he wasn't saying that Prince William flies Sea Kings for the navy. His reference to the naval orange and grey colour scheme was just to differentiate the Sea King from the other types for all the non-PPRuNer viewers (yes, the majority of the viewing population).

I thought the best bit was Eddy Izzard recalling how "Napoleon" used to bring his ship back up the Thames!! (to be fair he subsequently corrected himself to Nelson. Apparently he has dyslexia!)

Yes, and like you said, he corrected himself so why bring it up?

Sometimes the media just can't win - damned if they do and damned if they don't (and no, I don't work for the BBC and wasn't involved in the making of this programme).

Tankertrashnav
10th May 2013, 14:44
Was Dan Wotsisname wearing his too tight tee shirt and showing off his muscles then? Seems to be his main purpose in getting on TV. His recent series on the development of the railways which I had been looking forward to was mainly tosh :*